Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What do you need? Mostly? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd like a half decent tri club/ riding club in my area. There might be one, but I sure as heck cant find it.

I'd like to find a group of athletes who do pickup rides regularly in the summer, at various times of day. Someone to ride with who points out obstacles, so I don't break my elbow hitting a 2x4 in the dark like last time.

I'd like olympic distance races that start at midday, not at 6am, so don't necessitate a 3am alarm clock to allow travel time etc

Id like to be able to run without getting injured all the damned time (yes, I tried Barry P). So much so that I really only ride nowadays.

I'd like some good recipes for tasty food that is various degrees of healthy.

I'd like a resource that is targeted at the non-athletic professional who enjoys triathlon but isn't trying to beat The Colonel (even though he is clearly beatable), who wants to enjoy food while competing etc.

I'd like the moon on a stick.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
ironclm wrote:
That does not work on my phone and in fact, froze everything up trying to do a search.

i have an iphone 6, iOS 12.1.2. works like a charm. if there's a glitch, with another OS or version, i'd love to know about it.
same phone as you. It works fine

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: What do you need? Mostly? [madmax231] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A lot
More
madmax231 wrote:

Money.

NO PINK - Green stuff, please

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Slowman wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
I’m aware of that particular functionality, but that’s not really what I’m interested in. I want not just the highest quality curated threads, but also the low quality ones that are just general “chat” about that particular topic. 2020 is an Olympic year, so 2019 will be getting very interesting in the swimming world. I like those threads where we just sit around the water cooler and shoot the shit about who’s up and coming, who is over the hill, who is set to have a big year.
Those aren’t high quality threads with lots of appeal to a broad audience, but they serve my little niche.

At the same time, I don’t want to have swimming in it’s own little ghetto, separate from the world. But it would be really nice to have a simple to use filtering mechanism.

that functionality is the filtering mechanism. if it's not exactly what you want, then, is it close enough to what you want that it would work?

we could do with our reader forum what we do with the articles on the main page, which is to tag them with a swim, bike or run tag, and they all append to a page that is just swimming. or running. that's separate from other "category" pages that drill down into, say, all shoe reviews, or all shoe reviews of HOKA.

navigations is a bitch. as is proper filtering. we could do that with the forum. i have no idea what the results would be.

I think that the “tagging” is essentially what I want, but then the pitfall is that the forum is dependent on people to properly tag their posts. Some would, some wouldn’t. So I don’t know if what I’ve asked for is what I “really” want. Maybe I do really want subforums, or maybe just require that the OP of any given thread select the categories it belongs to, rather than individual posts.

i did this in about 8 minutes:

for those who go WAY back, this is basically a threaded FAQ. it's designed to be added/subtracted to, populated per the current needs. what i had in mind was the occasional, "add it to the FAQ" from you guys. then you know it's there. perhaps a sticky thread entitled that: add it to the faq. and you guys from time to time ask for an add/subtract/change.

you guys can use it. or not. i use this a LOT. just for my own searching. up to you if you find this of value. just, the idea isn't for me to decide what goes there; it's for you to decide, based on what's relevant to you. it's not automated. there's no AI. but it is pretty quick.

I guess what I’m getting at is a way to filter all posts, not just draw peoples attention to the really good ones. I like the hot topics, and have used it on occasion, but really I want the ability to apply a filter and then all of a sudden the triathlon forum becomes a swim and run forum, or an xterra forum, or a gravel forum, depending on the options you apply. If a new thread has to be tagged with one or several categories (from some kind of a master list controlled be you) then that would enable that filtering, but still doesn’t create sub-forums, which I don’t like the idea of having.

Make sense?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The forum is a great public service but the format could improve greatly, and that would improve the relationships between the people on this site.

Take a look at Ravelry, a free website/community for people who knit/crochet/weave. Fabric arts are inherently visual, as is much of triathlon, and they make it so much easier to post images, thread conversations, and connect with others.

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) How about a sub-forum/page purely for races.
Possible features:
  • Pre-race QnA's about venue, travel, conditions etc
  • Smack Talk
  • "Joining" the race such that there is a list of slowtwitchers displayed that are at a given race.
  • Impromptu slowtwitch gatherings a possibility at every race.
  • a section for race-results/reports

2) Some sort of "Workout of the week"-series maybe?
For those of us planning our own workouts, some new ideas might be nice. Maybe one for each sport?
Maybe get a "guest editor" each week. Could be a reputable coach looking to get some exposure. Combine it with a short interview on training-philosophy maybe?

3) Displaying start-times for the "Slozwift" events in the user's time-zone. (and have some at appropriate European post-work ride-times)

but anyway: Thanks for all the stuff that is ALREADY HERE!

if you can read this
YOU'RE DRAFTING!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whow,
Since when do we have THAT?!
Never noticed it!

if you can read this
YOU'RE DRAFTING!
Quote Reply
Re: What do you need? Mostly? [flogazo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since the redesign if I recall correctly...

...however, it does not work on my iPhone XR running the latest version of iOS. (I love to hate "upgrades" that take away features.)

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: What do you need? Mostly? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
Yes, I've read your articles and I appreciate your efforts. Greg's latest article concerns me. I just don't understand the 650B thing, the wheels are 7mm taller...why change?

I'm not saying I understand it either - or that a change is in any way necessary. I wrote several times about 650c being a perfectly good wheel size. Some people get it. You get it. But I'd always get some comments - both from industry types and consumers (some of them short enough to be perfect for 650c) saying that they want 700c. Sometimes it's a husband and wife wanting to share race wheels - so they want a single size of wheel. I don't want to get all tin-foil-hat conspiracy here, but I also think there's an element of 650c wheels not being cool because they're for tri geeks and chicks - both of whom are deemed lame by some members of the elitist cycling establishment. I obviously don't agree, but I've witnessed the logic and heard comments saying as much behind closed doors.

So - to clarify - I personally don't think 650b is any better a solution than 650c. Changing to 650b will cost manufacturers in tooling, old inventory, and updating all of the collaterals to the new spec. It doesn't do retailers any favors. It adds another confusing storyline for consumers to understand. There are lots of reasons to NOT change to 650b.

I just think that 650b is the only hope for a smaller wheel size to survive in an industry intent on having something new to sell all the time. It's somehow "cool" to own 650b. I think that it'd be best if triathletes could get together and push for 650b - because I don't think that 650c is ever going back to its level from even 5 years ago (i.e. most major brands selling 650c wheels on their smallest ~2 bike sizes). I think that if the push is for 650c to come back - we'll just get stuck with 700c ONLY. Canyon already took a step with 650b women's road bikes, nudging things in what I think is the best and/or most feasible direction. I hadn't seen anyone saying this publicly, so that's why I wrote the article.

You're very logical by nature, and I know you probably disagree with all this - I just wanted to further explain why I did what I did. We have to deal with a lot of illogical ideas and trends in the business and find a decent way forward.
Quote Reply

Prev Next