Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What do you need? Mostly? [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr_Cupcake wrote:
Where are you located? If you’re on the east coast of the US, I got a guy. He works with Project Hero at Walter Reed.

In Canada about 1 hour west of Toronto. Thanks for the offer but that's a bit far for me.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you need? Mostly? [StephanP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
StephanP wrote:
Few things come to mind. First I am "paracyclist' who loves riding bikes. I have been struggling with never being comfortable on the bike. Because of my disability my right side is weaker than my left. This causes all kinds of issues. Real leg length issues, my hips not being in line with each other, so that I sit crooked on any type of saddle. Would love to find a saddle solution.

Second would actually love to find a fitter that could actually help me. I understand that my situation maybe unique, but I just want to ride my bikes in comfort. I am willing to put in the work to get it done. Not easy for me to make adjustments on the bike when I only have 1 good hand. My own bike setup has been a work in progress over many years.

Third para athletes inspire me. Overcoming difficulties helps me put my own life into perspective. Would love if someone could interview one of them and see what kind of changes they had to do to make their equipment work for them. Maybe that could show others what is possible, or even give ideas for other "para athletes" could try. Not much information on the internet about those types of things. In your poll you asked about the next up and coming woman triathlete, maybe we will get to know the current or even upcoming para athletes.

Just a few thoughts.
Stephan

interesting you write this, because, in another thread i asked who wants to be in race production. one thing i've noticed: the underepresented folks in triathlon have largely followed the underrepresented folk in the business of triathlon. when women put on triathlons, launch clothing companies, start clubs, then we get an influx of women. when people of color take the lead in an effort, more people of color get involved. and two other groups came to mind: the millenial and gen Y triathlete, and the challenged athletes. i think i'd like to see if i can get you on working behind the camera. i'll bet if more challenged athletes got involved with race production, clubs, and so forth, the challenged athlete race scene would become more robust.

here's a question that comes to mind. do challenged athletes ride on zwift? run on zwift? how is that executed?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: What do you need? Mostly? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First, thanks a ton for reading and responding. I was worried that this thread would get a lot of attention and you might not be able to see everything right away. I did not intend for it to be BS or whiney, so I hope that did not lead you to discount all I said. Here is where I was coming from...

Slowman wrote:
i'm sorry. at some point i just have to call bullshit on bullshit. i routinely find what some of you consider unsearchable in 30sec using our search utility.
30 seconds is an eternity in search land. By 15-20 seconds, I will have exhausted about every search permutation I can think of on a topic and give up. "Some of you consider unsearachable" should be evidence enough of an issue. This really is the only forum I know that ignores numbers. I will grant you that it is a little better, but if I am having trouble finding something, I go to Google and add the site:slowtwitch.com tag to search. I know to do this because I am a digital and computer expert; most folks do not know how to search a site from Google.

Slowman wrote:
The problem is not the storage. it's the processor load. we're constantly upgrading the server hardware, RAM, processors to keep up.
I agree, since you you are still hosting on your own hardware. I had assumed that you were hosting in Azure, AWS, or something similar. Trying to scale a private, physical hosting environment for this site would be a beast.[/quote]
Slowman wrote:
you're whining. this forum has the best user-generated content of any forum you've ever been to, including those you moderate.

Whining is not my intent. And, I did not mean to suggest that control or censorship is the solution, though my statement looks like that when I read it again. My intent is to figure out some way to help the seekers of information cut through the noise to find what they are looking for. This ties to better searching and that magic AI to help bucket great content.

It is the passion that derails threads. The passion is what builds the online relationships that help generate new threads with new information. The problem is that good threads get a lot of noise posts (some fine and some unhealthy) because of passion. The challenge is that in a good thread, we still have to wade through a lot of noise to find the salient points. Examples are the debates on aerodynamics and rolling resistance. Those have immensely valuable needles hidden in haystacks of arguments and healthy debate.

Slowman wrote:
now you're talking. i've been thinking the same thing. for example, we didn't used to have "indoor" on that navbar. we do because of precisely what you just said. i'm getting rid of "photos" and replacing it with "gravel". so, yes, thanks for that. thanks for the kick in the pants on that. i'll see if i can get that done this weekend.
This is why my earlier points are leading to. This site has a crapton of invaluable information. On the BMW forum I mentioned, we created an accompanying wiki that grew with the knowledge from the forum. That was manual 15 years ago, but there has to be some magic tools today that can help automate this.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you need? Mostly? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
First, thanks a ton for reading and responding. I was worried that this thread would get a lot of attention and you might not be able to see everything right away. I did not intend for it to be BS or whiney, so I hope that did not lead you to discount all I said. Here is where I was coming from...

Slowman wrote:
i'm sorry. at some point i just have to call bullshit on bullshit. i routinely find what some of you consider unsearchable in 30sec using our search utility.

30 seconds is an eternity in search land. By 15-20 seconds, I will have exhausted about every search permutation I can think of on a topic and give up. "Some of you consider unsearachable" should be evidence enough of an issue. This really is the only forum I know that ignores numbers. I will grant you that it is a little better, but if I am having trouble finding something, I go to Google and add the site:slowtwitch.com tag to search. I know to do this because I am a digital and computer expert; most folks do not know how to search a site from Google.

Slowman wrote:
The problem is not the storage. it's the processor load. we're constantly upgrading the server hardware, RAM, processors to keep up.

I agree, since you you are still hosting on your own hardware. I had assumed that you were hosting in Azure, AWS, or something similar. Trying to scale a private, physical hosting environment for this site would be a beast.

Slowman wrote:
you're whining. this forum has the best user-generated content of any forum you've ever been to, including those you moderate.

Whining is not my intent. And, I did not mean to suggest that control or censorship is the solution, though my statement looks like that when I read it again. My intent is to figure out some way to help the seekers of information cut through the noise to find what they are looking for. This ties to better searching and that magic AI to help bucket great content.

It is the passion that derails threads. The passion is what builds the online relationships that help generate new threads with new information. The problem is that good threads get a lot of noise posts (some fine and some unhealthy) because of passion. The challenge is that in a good thread, we still have to wade through a lot of noise to find the salient points. Examples are the debates on aerodynamics and rolling resistance. Those have immensely valuable needles hidden in haystacks of arguments and healthy debate.

Slowman wrote:
now you're talking. i've been thinking the same thing. for example, we didn't used to have "indoor" on that navbar. we do because of precisely what you just said. i'm getting rid of "photos" and replacing it with "gravel". so, yes, thanks for that. thanks for the kick in the pants on that. i'll see if i can get that done this weekend.

This is why my earlier points are leading to. This site has a crapton of invaluable information. On the BMW forum I mentioned, we created an accompanying wiki that grew with the knowledge from the forum. That was manual 15 years ago, but there has to be some magic tools today that can help automate this.[/quote]
let me be clear: you and i struggle with the same thing. we have 7,500 articles and 6 million posts. and 90,000 forum users and by mid next year 100,000. right now, my biggest problem is getting people to use the navigational tools we're building to wrangle the data. we built a utility called HOT FORUM TOPICS. you'll see it here. nobody knows what it is, how to use it, it doesn't matter how many times i explain it and in how many places. the goal is for this to be a joint project between moderators and users, to corral and present not just searchable post and threads, but the best among them, in a living archive.

so, i need to find a way to rebrand it. make what it is more obvious. and that is just one of a number of changes i want to make to improve navigation. our biggest challenge, and all our work product, is invested in: how to arrange and present content; and how to manage navigation. i spent a boatload of money on that in 2016 and 2017, and it's like painting the golden gate bridge: as soon as it was finished i needed to start again.

i hear you, brother. this thread was not designed to be what do you need mostly from this site. it was designed as what do you need mostly? in your endurance life? with the goal toward figuring out what we ought to offer a slowtwitch club member, if we decide to have a club. however, as you know, as a moderator, threads take on lives of their own, and i'm taking notes. i have a bunch of notes, on how to make some changes to the site based on the input on this thread.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: What do you need? Mostly? [damn lucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damn lucky wrote:
Have you ever tried rollers? They really help your cycling form. It’s amazing when you get on them how much your hips and shoulders are moving the bike and your arms are constantly correcting.
Are you able to ride no hands on your tri bike? Can you come out of the aero bars and just have your arms hover an inch or so above the bars?
If fit isn’t the issue these exercises should start to help your confidence on the tri bike.

Man, I can't even ride my road bike no hands. I was fit by Trent Nix so it shouldn't be a fit thing.

Never tried rollers, no.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For slowtwitch.com: a like button. Many times, I just want to like someone else's post. I like the up and down arrows that Reddit uses.

In general (I'm not sure there is much you can do about this): go back to 2008 pricing for triathlon. Races and bikes are too expensive. For some reason, when I got into triathlon in 2007, there was an energy that is now missing. Maybe I'm just getting old.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you need? Mostly? [Jonathan22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jonathan22 wrote:
For slowtwitch.com: a like button. Many times, I just want to like someone else's post. I like the up and down arrows that Reddit uses.

In general (I'm not sure there is much you can do about this): go back to 2008 pricing for triathlon. Races and bikes are too expensive. For some reason, when I got into triathlon in 2007, there was an energy that is now missing. Maybe I'm just getting old.

on the like button. investigating how best to do that. on the other: i'm 62. i'm more enthused every year. so, no. you're not getting old. you're getting bored. so... is it me (the sport)? or is it you?

did you enter the 100/100? if not why not? what interests you? what would interest you? have you got a gravel bike yet? do you want to enter a gravel bike triathlon? talk to me.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Jonathan22 wrote:

on the like button. investigating how best to do that. on the other: i'm 62. i'm more enthused every year. so, no. you're not getting old. you're getting bored. so... is it me (the sport)? or is it you?

did you enter the 100/100? if not why not? what interests you? what would interest you? have you got a gravel bike yet? do you want to enter a gravel bike triathlon? talk to me.

It's definitely me and not you Dan. haha

yes, I own a gravel bike. Love riding it when the weather is nice. 7 years ago I moved from Atlanta to the midwest. The weather was definitely better in Atlanta. And Atlanta, being a bigger market, had more triathlons, more group rides, more options. Where I live now, while there are people trying very hard to change it, we just have less options. I think that's the missing energy you mentioned.

Having said that, I'm really enjoying zwift. I've been doing indoor rides for probably 2 years now. And I have an ipad on the way (coupled with the zwift pod that I have - thank YOU for that), I'll be using it to run soon enough too.

I would love a gravel bike triathlon. And off-road, xterra triathlons too. Generally, I think we need more shorter, cheaper races. If I had the time, I would start a local https://www.parkrun.us/ and maybe a once a month sprint triathlon version.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you need? Mostly? [Jonathan22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jonathan22 wrote:
Slowman wrote:
Jonathan22 wrote:

It's definitely me and not you Dan. haha

yes, I own a gravel bike. Love riding it when the weather is nice. 7 years ago I moved from Atlanta to the midwest. The weather was definitely better in Atlanta. And Atlanta, being a bigger market, had more triathlons, more group rides, more options. Where I live now, while there are people trying very hard to change it, we just have less options. I think that's the missing energy you mentioned.

Having said that, I'm really enjoying zwift. I've been doing indoor rides for probably 2 years now. And I have an ipad on the way (coupled with the zwift pod that I have - thank YOU for that), I'll be using it to run soon enough too.

I would love a gravel bike triathlon. And off-road, xterra triathlons too. Generally, I think we need more shorter, cheaper races. If I had the time, I would start a local https://www.parkrun.us/ and maybe a once a month sprint triathlon version.

i think you and i should work to put on a gravel bike race, or a gravel bike triathlon, in your area. before you say no, the market is too small, how much smaller is your market than emporia kansas?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Maybe that means more than a "hot topic" menu, like a subforum for the "on-rampers" to the sport, where people could feel comfortable asking these questions and getting the pinpoint answers they need. Maybe that means a space for people to ask for one-on-one help in their regions, so there's a face to attach to the name. Or maybe this all means having links thrown at me saying this has already been done and in my limited time to browse the forum as a relative newcomer, I have missed all of this and still remain an outsider

Maybe a section which has pinned threads which contain the best community-sourced advice. Which tires should I buy? Is my seat too high? Why does my swimming suck? How do I do tri and raise kids and keep the spouse happy? Etc. etc.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i think you and i should work to put on a gravel bike race, or a gravel bike triathlon, in your area. before you say no, the market is too small, how much smaller is your market than emporia kansas?

When I was growing up in Emporia Kansas, there might have been one small bike shop. It’s amazing what Lelan and crew have done to grow Dirty Kanza and the gravel scene and really, just bike riding in general in the town. There are now three (3) bike shops - in a town of 25,000! With group rides from newbies to experienced. And every single neighborhood in town has signs out in the yards which say “Respect the Wheels”.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: What do you need? Mostly? [georged] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
georged wrote:
Quote:
Maybe that means more than a "hot topic" menu, like a subforum for the "on-rampers" to the sport, where people could feel comfortable asking these questions and getting the pinpoint answers they need. Maybe that means a space for people to ask for one-on-one help in their regions, so there's a face to attach to the name. Or maybe this all means having links thrown at me saying this has already been done and in my limited time to browse the forum as a relative newcomer, I have missed all of this and still remain an outsider

Maybe a section which has pinned threads which contain the best community-sourced advice. Which tires should I buy? Is my seat too high? Why does my swimming suck? How do I do tri and raise kids and keep the spouse happy? Etc. etc.

You know that's exactly what we built here, yes?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think with the current model of "it's already here, go find it", you limit the newcomers ability and confidence to join in the conversation. There's a sense of belonging that comes along with personal responses that don't include "The answer is buried somewhere, he's a shovel". Maybe a subforum for onrampers or newcomers would be good so there's a sense of solidarity, knowing that they're not alone in their questions and frustrations.

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dunno if it’s been mentioned, but the ability to tag threads by subject (or alternatively implementing subforums for swim, bike, run, racing, and maybe a couple of others, so long as there was still a global view) would be helpful, especially with how “bike heavy” the forum is. For the 5 people here who actually like swimming, it’s hard to keep the swim stuff visible.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dr_Cupcake wrote:
I think with the current model of "it's already here, go find it", you limit the newcomers ability and confidence to join in the conversation. There's a sense of belonging that comes along with personal responses that don't include "The answer is buried somewhere, he's a shovel". Maybe a subforum for onrampers or newcomers would be good so there's a sense of solidarity, knowing that they're not alone in their questions and frustrations.

here's my problem. and i'm not trying to this over to you. it's MY problem, because i have to get you to understand the functionality that's here, and the last 3 of you who've posted have basically asked for the same thing, and it's built. it's done. it's here. you just don't know it's here. it's hiding in plain view. so, one mission of mine, as i aggregate your ideas, is just to get you to recognize, acknowledge, see, and use, the functionality that we have. it's my problem not yours because the great, great majority of you don't know what we've got here. it's all well and good to have 10,000 or 20,000 or you regularly perusing the forum, but, if only 500 of you are online at the particular time that i post something, and only 75 of you read what i post, then i still have 19,925 people who i haven't yet gotten to see the functionality we built. so, i post again. and again. and again. and now i only have 19,500 of you who don't know what functionality sits here. hence my conundrum that i need to solve.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Dr_Cupcake wrote:

here's my problem. and i'm not trying to this over to you. it's MY problem, because i have to get you to understand the functionality that's here, and the last 3 of you who've posted have basically asked for the same thing, and it's built. it's done. it's here. you just don't know it's here. it's hiding in plain view. so, one mission of mine, as i aggregate your ideas, is just to get you to recognize, acknowledge, see, and use, the functionality that we have. it's my problem not yours because the great, great majority of you don't know what we've got here. it's all well and good to have 10,000 or 20,000 or you regularly perusing the forum, but, if only 500 of you are online at the particular time that i post something, and only 75 of you read what i post, then i still have 19,925 people who i haven't yet gotten to see the functionality we built. so, i post again. and again. and again. and now i only have 19,500 of you who don't know what functionality sits here. hence my conundrum that i need to solve.

OK - you're being a bit pedantic now.

I'm not for more subforums, but..... I do think there should be a more succinct group of stickies (maybe a stickie sub area?) that really answer the big beginner questions. Because it can be a little intimidating asking what will probably be perceived as a "dumb" question (except over on the womens where we even answer questions from the mens).

And I've been here since before the beginning and the search function is a mess!

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Re: What do you need? Mostly? [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
Slowman wrote:
Dr_Cupcake wrote:

I'm not for more subforums, but..... I do think there should be a more succinct group of stickies (maybe a stickie sub area?) that really answer the big beginner questions. Because it can be a little intimidating asking what will probably be perceived as a "dumb" question (except over on the womens where we even answer questions from the mens).

And I've been here since before the beginning and the search function is a mess!

right. i agree. but we HAVE it. it's why we built this:

those are two views, depending on what i'm searching for. it's not automated. it's a wiki. it's designed to aggregate the highest quality current threads on given topics. those are turn-down menus.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m aware of that particular functionality, but that’s not really what I’m interested in. I want not just the highest quality curated threads, but also the low quality ones that are just general “chat” about that particular topic. 2020 is an Olympic year, so 2019 will be getting very interesting in the swimming world. I like those threads where we just sit around the water cooler and shoot the shit about who’s up and coming, who is over the hill, who is set to have a big year.
Those aren’t high quality threads with lots of appeal to a broad audience, but they serve my little niche.

At the same time, I don’t want to have swimming in it’s own little ghetto, separate from the world. But it would be really nice to have a simple to use filtering mechanism.

Slowman wrote:
ironclm wrote:
Slowman wrote:
Dr_Cupcake wrote:

right. i agree. but we HAVE it. it's why we built this:

those are two views, depending on what i'm searching for. it's not automated. it's a wiki. it's designed to aggregate the highest quality current threads on given topics. those are turn-down menus.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: What do you need? Mostly? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
I’m aware of that particular functionality, but that’s not really what I’m interested in. I want not just the highest quality curated threads, but also the low quality ones that are just general “chat” about that particular topic. 2020 is an Olympic year, so 2019 will be getting very interesting in the swimming world. I like those threads where we just sit around the water cooler and shoot the shit about who’s up and coming, who is over the hill, who is set to have a big year.
Those aren’t high quality threads with lots of appeal to a broad audience, but they serve my little niche.

At the same time, I don’t want to have swimming in it’s own little ghetto, separate from the world. But it would be really nice to have a simple to use filtering mechanism.

that functionality is the filtering mechanism. if it's not exactly what you want, then, is it close enough to what you want that it would work?

we could do with our reader forum what we do with the articles on the main page, which is to tag them with a swim, bike or run tag, and they all append to a page that is just swimming. or running. that's separate from other "category" pages that drill down into, say, all shoe reviews, or all shoe reviews of HOKA.

navigations is a bitch. as is proper filtering. we could do that with the forum. i have no idea what the results would be.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

that functionality is the filtering mechanism. if it's not exactly what you want, then, is it close enough to what you want that it would work?

we could do with our reader forum what we do with the articles on the main page, which is to tag them with a swim, bike or run tag, and they all append to a page that is just swimming. or running. that's separate from other "category" pages that drill down into, say, all shoe reviews, or all shoe reviews of HOKA.

navigations is a bitch. as is proper filtering. we could do that with the forum. i have no idea what the results would be.

I think that the “tagging” is essentially what I want, but then the pitfall is that the forum is dependent on people to properly tag their posts. Some would, some wouldn’t. So I don’t know if what I’ve asked for is what I “really” want. Maybe I do really want subforums, or maybe just require that the OP of any given thread select the categories it belongs to, rather than individual posts.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: What do you need? Mostly? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Slowman wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

I think that the “tagging” is essentially what I want, but then the pitfall is that the forum is dependent on people to properly tag their posts. Some would, some wouldn’t. So I don’t know if what I’ve asked for is what I “really” want. Maybe I do really want subforums, or maybe just require that the OP of any given thread select the categories it belongs to, rather than individual posts.

i did this in about 8 minutes:

for those who go WAY back, this is basically a threaded FAQ. it's designed to be added/subtracted to, populated per the current needs. what i had in mind was the occasional, "add it to the FAQ" from you guys. then you know it's there. perhaps a sticky thread entitled that: add it to the faq. and you guys from time to time ask for an add/subtract/change.

you guys can use it. or not. i use this a LOT. just for my own searching. up to you if you find this of value. just, the idea isn't for me to decide what goes there; it's for you to decide, based on what's relevant to you. it's not automated. there's no AI. but it is pretty quick.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
here's a question that comes to mind. do challenged athletes ride on zwift? run on zwift? how is that executed?[/quote]
I don't know what others do, but I am using Trainer Road. I have been using it for at least 5 years. Easy to use through the winter months and then through the week during the other seasons as I get home too late in the evening. Weekend rides are outside as much as possible. I used Zwift for the 7 day free trial, but I find even with a smart trainer it doesn't feel like the road. With Trainer Road, I can make up workouts and let the trainer set the wattage.

I haven't entered any road races because I have seen even in group riding how somebody's lack of concentration can affect the situation in an instance. In Ontario, Canada the cycling association has started to put an effort in including paracyclists in the TT's. Easier to do because of the different classifications and most of the TT lengths are the same as the juniors, between 16-20km. Cost can be counter productive, because who wants to travel sometimes an hour plus just to do a TT that's finished in less then one half hour.

I really believe that the Canadian paracycling team has placed more emphasis on the TT and track cycling then the road race. TT's are just the rider, the clock and their own effort. You can see how they have achieved better results over the past few years.

Wish I could do more helping out or volunteering behind the scenes, but with working 55+ hours a week, and training, where does one find the time or even get time off to help out. I know first world problems.

Stephan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 That does not work on my phone and in fact, froze everything up trying to do a search.

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Re: What do you need? Mostly? [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
That does not work on my phone and in fact, froze everything up trying to do a search.

i have an iphone 6, iOS 12.1.2. works like a charm. if there's a glitch, with another OS or version, i'd love to know about it.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
ironclm wrote:

i have an iphone 6, iOS 12.1.2. works like a charm. if there's a glitch, with another OS or version, i'd love to know about it.

iPhone XS Max 12.1.2

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply

Prev Next