Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Zwift Running is amazing [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Garmin HRM-TRI heart rate monitor that does everything the footpod does, I wonder if I could use that as a footpod. I wouldn't mind trying this Zwift treadmill thing.

I bought my wife a Zwift footpod earlier today.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Running is amazing [Spartan420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You would need an ANT+/Bluetooth bridge to use it. Just buy the Zwift run pod because it will be cheaper than a bridge.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Running is amazing [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So how does this actually work? The footpod communicates with Zwift on your phone/tablet? Or the treadmill? Does it control the treadmill like smart trainers for the biking version?
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Running is amazing [jeremyscarroll] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Bluetooth footpod talks to Zwift for cadence and pace. It does not control a treadmill at all. There will never be a footpod controlled treadmill due to safety reasons. Your phone or tablet will pick up the signal and Zwift will make your character run.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup it is awesome. Did my first Zwift running race tonight
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
The Bluetooth footpod talks to Zwift for cadence and pace. It does not control a treadmill at all. There will never be a footpod controlled treadmill due to safety reasons. Your phone or tablet will pick up the signal and Zwift will make your character run.

Yeah, that makes sense. Part of me thinks it would be really awesome if it would adjust the incline as I run up a hill in the game, but it would probably end badly.

Color me intrigued. I like the idea that it can be used with any treadmill. They did this well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All you need to do is calibrate before your run because each treadmill may be slightly different. It doesn’t take long. You set your base speed and it calibrates at that speed, a higher speed, and a lower speed. Each calibration cycle is 40 seconds. Buy the Zwift foot pod and give it a try.

Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Running is amazing [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
Yup it is awesome. Did my first Zwift running race tonight

What are the races like? Various distances? How many people were in the race you did?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is and more courses. One problem I’m having now though is I start running and my avatar stops then gets moving then stops again and this continues. I have new batteries in the foot pod (milestone/zwift) and have calibrated. The milestone material says the red light indicates the shoe is past its use by km’s. I’ve tried on a newer shoe and same thing.

Anyone else have this?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll answer because I did my first race yesterday as well. It was a 8k (5 mile) race. There were 85 people total I believe. When you join a race you pick what group you should be competing in. They are defined with an average pace. The groups gather and start segregated but all groups merge together on to the same course. It was pretty realistic to me in the sense that there were a few really fast guys, then some medium fast guys, then a bunch of not quite as fast people. One thing I found to be a lot easier than racing an actual real race I being able to see everyone else's current pace. I found that the be very valuable in terms of pacing for passing. I enjoyed it and I will certainly do it again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So far I have seen 5k races and 8k ones. In the 8k I did yesterday there were about 80 total starters. But actually 134 had registered.

There will be more including longer distances
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Running is amazing [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I run with a Stryd footpod and have no issues with it. I have been running on Zwift for quite a while now and I especially like the group runs and workouts. Group runs really make you run harder than you would otherwise and in general you can do certain things on a treadmill that can’t easily be duplicated outside. I have done workouts as long as 13.4k and never had to stop for traffic or other obstacles. Plus it really encourages me to go harder than I would alone on the treadmill or outside.

Main reason for me to run on a treadmill however is having small kids and a wife with a big job which means she is gone often.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So if I understand this correctly, if I have the Zwift run pod and I have my iPad with Zwift, then I can do Zwift runs wherever I am...like when my upcoming heavy travel schedule puts me on lots of early-morning hotel treadmills? I prefer to run outside, but it’s often not possible on travel due to the time of day or location. Far easier to just hit the treadmills. But I do hate staring at myself in a mirror or at a blank wall for an hour!
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Running is amazing [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep! Get a Wahoo Tickr for heart rate and you are good to go! You can run anywhere there is a treadmill

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On the zwift running theme, I am keen to try it but would need to buy a second hand treadmill and footpod. Would I then need to get a second footpod if my wife was to run on zwift or can we use the same one?
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Running is amazing [jayski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You can use the same one.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great! Already have a Tikr for use on my Elite Direto.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Running is amazing [madmax231] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweeet pain cave!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you need a foot pod or is the tickr sufficient?
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Running is amazing [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The TickrX will work but you have to trick it into being a “footpod”. For $30, just buy the Zwift footpod and be happy :)

Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Running is amazing [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just bought a Zwift footpod for me and my wife. I'm excited to try it. We hate running on the treadmill, so hopefully this will make it more interesting, especially if there are structured workouts.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Running is amazing [Spartan420] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to hate running on the treadmill. I would run in the rain or cold. After 2 runs on Zwift, I’m hooked and look forward to many more miles. I think you’ll love it!

Last edited by: BryanD: Dec 30, 18 21:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed. I like it better than I thought I would. Pleasantly surprised.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Running is amazing [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I have got hold of a footpod mainly for my wife to run on a treadmill (she isnt comfortable with running on her own in the dark after work when I am looking after our little boy) and after one run the pod is now flashing red which, as far as the internet tells me, means there is a battery issue. It was also a total pig to connect initially and had frequent drop outs (14 in 5k) which were not avg corrected and simply look liks gaps or stops in the run. Also the run was approx 2kmh slower than the calibrated treadmill was suggesting.

I really want this to work for her but am struggling to figure out the gremlins right now, any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Running is amazing [jayski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The battery zwift sent with mine died quickly as well but I think that may be due to me keeping my shoes close to the washing machine. The zwift pod picks up any vibration and drains the battery is what I’m thinking.
Quote Reply

Prev Next