Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Zwift Running is amazing
Quote | Reply
I got my free Zwift footpod and have 2 runs done so far. I really love it. I hate running in the cold and this is the solution! The workouts are fun and it tells you to increase or decrease speed. My footpod is very accurate on speed and miles. There is even Zwift run races!

Anyone else love this as much as I do? This is a big step forward for my training instead of those awful winter runs.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Dec 28, 18 20:27
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Running is amazing [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
I got my free Zwift footpod and have 2 runs done so far. I really love it. I hate running in the cold and this is the solution! The workouts are fun and it tells you to increase or decrease speed. My footpod is very accurate on speed and miles. There is even Zwift run races!

Anyone else love this as much as I do? This is a big step forward for my training instead of those awful winter runs.

I think it's just you and me kid, everyone else seems to hate it!
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Running is amazing [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The general rule I've learned here is to do the opposite of what most people on here say :)

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
The general rule I've learned here is to do the opposite of what most people on here say :)

Just running would be shit, but I love the workouts and training plans.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been zwift running and riding for about 4 weeks now. I find the riding to be great. The running is a little more nuanced. I have found that usually for just a normal 30' easy run, I'll usually flip my TV screen to watch something else while letting zwift run in the background. Watching myself just run alone is really pretty boreing. However, last night there were quite a bit more people running on Zwift. I was just running along minding my own business and wound up in an unofficial race with a guy and I found that to be exciting. I will be doing my first running race this afternoon and I am expecting that to be exciting as well. Overall, it has added something to my otherwise boreing treadmill running experience.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed - Zwift running is amazing! Especially when compared to treadmill running life pre-Zwift. My favorite is the beachside running, where oddly I really feel like I'm running beachside. Kind of crazy.

I'm hoping one day the technology facilitates some Duathlon races!! How cool would a Zwift Duathlon Race be!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zwift running is really helping me get through 45 and 50 mile weeks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really wanted Zwift running to be great! I have tried using it a few times with my Apple Watch and frustratingly watched my guy either stand while people run by, or he runs for 10-15 seconds then stops, walks, and then starts running again for 10-15 seconds. This goes on for the entire run.

Yesterday I did a 45 minute run on the treadmill and Zwift logged 21 minutes. I won't even go into the paces it was reading. Not saying it's Zwift's fault, but I am hesitant to go out and spend $30-$100 on a footpod to find out it produces the same results. I was one of the 1000 free footpod giveaway people - so I will wait for that to arrive to give Zwift run another chance. If I get the same results I'll go back to old fashioned treadmill running.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:

I’ve used mine 3 times so far. First run went great, second run I lost connection every 30 seconds, third run I used my new iPad and it went flawlessly.

It certainly makes running on a treadmill more engaging but it’s not the game changer like Zwift cycling. Don’t get me wrong, I’ll make sure I use it every treadmill run from here on out.

Which plan are you following?
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Running is amazing [Parkland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not doing a plan. Just trying out different workouts.

Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Running is amazing [Diddofbean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Zwift footpod will work so much better than Apple Watch

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am really enjoying Zwift running so far. I Just started the 13.1 program and so far so good. When I did my first couple of runs a few months ago my footpod worked flawlessly. A couple of weeks ago it would stop working every 10 seconds or so. I downloaded the Milestone app onto my iPhone and upgraded the firmware, and once again it's working great.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Running is amazing [Cmartin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I heard Zwift changed the firmware on the the Zwift pods to work better than the original Milestone pods. I could be wrong on this?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i did my first zwift run day before yesterday. what i have 3 different ways to talk to zwift now: a footpod, a (used to be) wahoo gymconnect, and the treadmill's own built-in bluetooth.

so far, it seems to me by far the best way is just to rely on the built-in bluetooth. i wonder how many people are using their footpods for zwift on treadmills that have bluetooth. right now, i'm connected to the gymconnect. but i don't see, yet, any difference between the gymconnect and built-in bluetooth, that is, i don't see any difference in the funtionality.

what i'd love is for the transmission to be 2-way, that is, rather than simply having the footpod/gymconnect/bluetooth send a signal to zwift, i'd like zwift to send a signal back, telling the treadmill to incline according to the course. but i don't believe zwift has "turned on" that functionality yet. i believe the gymconnect was built with that in mind. but we're not there yet i don't think.

i'm "field testing" all this now, pursuant to writing my first zwift run article. what i'm also doing - or will be doing - is strategizing when our group run events will take place and what they will look like. so, why don't you guys think about:

1. what run event do you want? what do you want it to look like? be like? length? format? course?
2. when? what time of day, day of week?
3. do you want to just DO it? or LEAD it?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ran on Zwift for the first time yesterday... 60 min easy run. I ran the app on an iphone X..... worked perfectly fine with my stryd. No HR cause I don't own a bluetooth hrm. It was cool for about 5 minutes but I think thats because I was running it on my phone and its such a small screen..... so not exactly the easiest to see while on the treadmill. There also weren't many people running either. I didn't look at the workouts but maybe there is more appeal there. Perhaps I just need to run it on an ipad to get a bigger screen for more engagement. I could use a new distraction on my treadmill runs.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are people running on treadmills that they own? Or are they running at the gym on a treadmill running zwift on an ipad/phone?

http://www.savagesentiments.blogspot.com/
http://www.tricoachmartin.com/
https://www.facebook.com/teameverymanjack
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Running is amazing [beachedbeluga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I run at the YMCA with my iPhone but I think I’m going to bring my iPad.

Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Running is amazing [beachedbeluga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beachedbeluga wrote:
Are people running on treadmills that they own? Or are they running at the gym on a treadmill running zwift on an ipad/phone?

i can answer that for you. treadmill ownership and purchase intentions:

I own one, won't buy another soon: 37%
I own one but I will buy another soon: 4%
I don't own one but I plan to buy one soon: 8%
I have access to one, don't need to buy my own: 25%
I rarely run on a treadmill: 26%

of those who run on a treadmill:

own: 55%
use: 45%

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Running is amazing [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm using a Huawei MediaPad M5 8.5" tablet I got from Newegg for $279. It runs great.
https://www.newegg.com/...item=N82E16834324028

I had been using a Galaxy S9 but couldn't seen anything with that
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use Zwift Run since last year, about 550km logged so far.

Altough I never tried a race, I like it so far, much better than looking at the wall in front of my treadmill.

I use a Garmin foot pod (connected via Ant+, I use a desktop PC to run Zwift at home, with a monitor in front of the treadmill, see pic).

When I'm away from home, in the hotel gyms I use Zwift Run with my iPhone. My foot pod is connected to the phone via a 4iiii HRM.

These setups have been working fine so far, and the pace is sufficiently accurate for me.
Last edited by: madmax231: Dec 29, 18 9:34
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Running is amazing [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
of those who run on a treadmill:

own: 55%
use: 45%

-------

As I joke with Bryan (who I coach), anytime you drive to go run on zwift at the Y treadmills, just leave your man card at check in....I'll take growing some hair on your chest in the cold, for $100 Alex.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Running is amazing [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don’t find it very interesting for easy runs. I’ll usually resort back to watching Netflix or something. If zwift could actually control the treadmill it would be way more engaging.

As it is I could see it as useful for run workouts, but those are usually interesting enough to not need distraction.
Quote Reply
Re: Zwift Running is amazing [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Come watch how it works and you’ll change your mind

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've really grown to like Zwift running. For me it's easy to push myself versus just running on the treadmill. For a while, I was running every Wednesday morning with a guy in Boston. It'd start out easy but by the last few miles we were both pretty much sprinting towards the banner.

I'm up to over 1500 miles on Zwift and use the stryd footpod which works like a charm. The stryd is pretty accurate. It can actually tell you if the treadmill is lying about it's speed. lol. I use two, one and work and one at home, and the one at home is way off compared to the one at work.

My favorite course is the 5k loop on Watopia and I'll usually do that 2 times if I'm doing a shorter workout. I enjoy the loop mentality because there's usually more runners on the 5k loop than any other course. Oh and I use a surface pro 3 to use at the gym or home. It seems to be the right size to not be weird at the gym and still be able to see your avatar running around.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
only if i can heckle!

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply

Prev Next