Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What do you need? Mostly? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I need someone to swim with and do run workouts with.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you need? Mostly? [SteveM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SteveM wrote:
Slowman wrote:
what do you wish was solved that you haven't solved? examples might be: my bike fits badly; my saddle hurts me.

I'd like a cheap (-ish) motorized cockpit & seatpost for trainer use only.

As it's on the trainer I don't really care how much it weighs, or if it needs to be plugged in, but it would allow me to easily experiment with things like saddle position/angle in small increments during a ride.

until very recently i did all my trainer rides on my fit bike. for this very reason.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It would be great to have a library/database of training plans for various events.
Say I‘d like to go for an OD or MD and do have 10h to spend per week, how would my plan look like and with what workouts.
Or how would I prepare for a 5k sub 20?

I know there are many sources on the web but I‘d like to have it slowtwitch approved.

I‘d like to come here, enter my data, goals, status quo and I get a plan that prepares me accordingly (of course following the pareto principal, the final 20 % won‘t be that easy).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowtwitch is a fantastic resource for everything endurance. My biggest problem is finding the information on here. I find it much easier to search for information on the other forums I frequent. One in particular, advrider.com, is so much easier to search due to the many sub forums where information is stored. If I want to find a .GPX file or a tutorial on adjusting the valves on a 2007 KTM 640 I can find that info very quickly.

If I try to find out on Slowtwitch who makes tubulars with long valve stems, I find it's easier to type my search into Google and then look for the results that pop up from Slowtwitch, rather then use the Slowtwitch search function and have to wade through tons of irrelevant results.

Love the site otherwise!
Quote Reply
Re: What do you need? Mostly? [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:
I do not want an opportunity to like a forum post. I believe this community is small enough and intelligent enough to respond in words to a post that is worthy of being judged. I think adding a like button would, in the long run, hurt more than help the discourse here.

What do I want? Simply articles and discussion that keep my multisport mojo flowing after 35 years.

Thanks for everything you've done so far and happy new year!

I second what Mark said....make people type and have a two way discourse whether a post is appealing of not and if they want to add to the discussion. Hitting like or an equivalent emoticon removes the 2 way communication between really humans. Imagined a phone call when the other part is just responding with 5 canned emoticons.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you need? Mostly? [Cmartin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cmartin wrote:
Slowtwitch is a fantastic resource for everything endurance. My biggest problem is finding the information on here. I find it much easier to search for information on the other forums I frequent. One in particular, advrider.com, is so much easier to search due to the many sub forums where information is stored. If I want to find a .GPX file or a tutorial on adjusting the valves on a 2007 KTM 640 I can find that info very quickly.

If I try to find out on Slowtwitch who makes tubulars with long valve stems, I find it's easier to type my search into Google and then look for the results that pop up from Slowtwitch, rather then use the Slowtwitch search function and have to wade through tons of irrelevant results.

Love the site otherwise!

I agree with this. The search function is broken.
And pics!! I don’t want to go to tinypics to post a pic here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
An injury forum.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not anything you or anyone can help with, I think, but I need to be comfortable riding a tri bike. The things give me the willies. Road bikes are fine, but tri bikes feel so twitchy that I tend to get in aero and right back out quite quickly. Just got my second one after several years without. It's what would make me want to do draft-legal...

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you need? Mostly? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
there is https://tapiriik.com/

its not an archive but let’s you sync and you can send to dropbox as an archive.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Calamityjane88 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thx Slowman for the post...here's a couple of thoughts:
-It would be great for those at Kona but not racing IMWC to do the ride up Mauna Kea you did in Oct. That would be a great Slowtwitch Club event, an adjunct to the other race on HI
-In the same vein, providing an outlet to evolve multisport endurance exercise...yes, there's xterra, but is there a series yet with gravel bikes? (maybe there is, I just don't have time to research) It seems like the endurance exercise world is exploding with options these days
Quote Reply
Re: What do you need? Mostly? [raulsan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
raulsan wrote:
there is https://tapiriik.com/

its not an archive but let’s you sync and you can send to dropbox as an archive.

Interesting. Thank you.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you need? Mostly? [madmax231] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
madmax231 wrote:

Money.

+1
This sport is too expensive for my means ... :-( .

More seriously, the people on this forum are its ''richness'', so much knowledge and sincerity.
Keep it up ! While I'm trying to save for some material stuff.... :-)

Louis :-)
Quote Reply
Re: What do you need? Mostly? [Calamityjane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Calamityjane88 wrote:

For me, a simple poo emoji would say all I want to say. Using words to tell him he's an ass is a little too much engagement for me.

I understand that the world is heading in that direction, but Dan can choose to slow that movement on his site.

On a more important topic, it would be great if more RDs would contribute more to this forum but I certainly understand their reluctance.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you need? Mostly? [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Diabolo wrote:
From slowtwitch (by far the best triathlon online presence): a bigger focus on ITU, including up and coming triathletes, info on well run triathlon programs that develop juniors,...

From the sport of triathlon in general: we do poorly providing viable avenues for kids to develop as triathletes, and move through the life stages.

Not being in the US, I don’t know what a slowtwitch team could bring me. I do have a gravel bike and would probably do a gravel (or road optional) triathlon if one existed close to where I live.
Would agree with this though I think USA tri is doing better then USA cycling as kids can start racing earlier but the cost is prohibitive for having them do so. I read here a lot more then posting and the info for getting kids more involved would be great. My youngest, 5 at the time did 1 duathlon while my daughter did her first of three at 8yo this last summer. Only thing I could easily find for them besides that were cross races which weren't really good races so much as giving the kids a chance to ride around very tiny courses with other kids their age which they still loved. Nothing for road at those ages but the info on here was very useful.

I do find that some of the postings are a little haphazard in where they go but if things get over categorized then posts are harder to see unless a stream is added that shows the last 10/15/20 threads that were posted.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Few things come to mind. First I am "paracyclist' who loves riding bikes. I have been struggling with never being comfortable on the bike. Because of my disability my right side is weaker than my left. This causes all kinds of issues. Real leg length issues, my hips not being in line with each other, so that I sit crooked on any type of saddle. Would love to find a saddle solution.

Second would actually love to find a fitter that could actually help me. I understand that my situation maybe unique, but I just want to ride my bikes in comfort. I am willing to put in the work to get it done. Not easy for me to make adjustments on the bike when I only have 1 good hand. My own bike setup has been a work in progress over many years.

Third para athletes inspire me. Overcoming difficulties helps me put my own life into perspective. Would love if someone could interview one of them and see what kind of changes they had to do to make their equipment work for them. Maybe that could show others what is possible, or even give ideas for other "para athletes" could try. Not much information on the internet about those types of things. In your poll you asked about the next up and coming woman triathlete, maybe we will get to know the current or even upcoming para athletes.

Just a few thoughts.
Stephan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know if this has been mentioned but a proper marketplace would be great. The classifieds forum is OK for its purpose but there's a lot of activity there that could be expanded and formalized. I suspect most listers there are trying to avoid eBay (fees, out of principle, etc.) if at all possible. <pink> Mint your very own cryptocurrency (the 'twitchcoin') and you'd be off and running. <pink, sort of>

tinman
Quote Reply
Re: What do you need? Mostly? [StephanP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where are you located? If you’re on the east coast of the US, I got a guy. He works with Project Hero at Walter Reed.

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Re: What do you need? Mostly? [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:
Calamityjane88 wrote:

For me, a simple poo emoji would say all I want to say. Using words to tell him he's an ass is a little too much engagement for me.

I understand that the world is heading in that direction, but Dan can choose to slow that movement on his site.

On a more important topic, it would be great if more RDs would contribute more to this forum but I certainly understand their reluctance.

The cool thing about the English language is we have a lot of tools to convey in text what we would like to do in real life. Now this also comes with the discourse devolving where, rather than discussing the topic, we end up taking cheap shots at one another, but that downside comes with the upside of discourse that resolves a topic on which people are on opposing sides, or building up on a topic on which we are in agreement.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you need? Mostly? [SBRinSD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRinSD wrote:
I don’t know how to deliver what I’m going to ask for but here I go anyway...

Slowtwitch Approved Training and Nutrition resources - the best of ST advice boiled down and minus the typical thread derailment.

Running -> Barry P or Desert Dudes Full Ass Challenge (or whatever it’s called)

Biking -> Flanagan thread without all the crap from Frank Day

Swimming -> guppy thread or ???

How to combine S, B and R for typical AG

Nutrition -> ?

Maybe a poll to nominate the resources. I think what is most valuable is the organic way the content is created within the forums. Nothing is forced. The content just needs to be summarized and housed in one place on the site. The stickiest of sticky threads if you will.

Edit: also the strength training program that seemed to be popular. Maybe something on ITB or common overuse injury prevention.

X2

And add to this nutrition, time crunched training, bike fit, equipment and wisdom on rehab or even prefab from common ailments, lower body, soft tissue and other endurance related injuries.

5 or so sticky pages that would evolve get updated every 3 months or so.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you need? Mostly? [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you ever tried rollers? They really help your cycling form. It’s amazing when you get on them how much your hips and shoulders are moving the bike and your arms are constantly correcting.
Are you able to ride no hands on your tri bike? Can you come out of the aero bars and just have your arms hover an inch or so above the bars?
If fit isn’t the issue these exercises should start to help your confidence on the tri bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd like to see some more kind of 'how to articles' and training ideas articles and how to other sports would benefit triathlon traing.

The articles on nordic skiing with videos a few years back were fantastic and as I am struggling to learn how to ski, I am re-watching the videos a few times a week. So how about more cross-country skiing and how it benefits triathlon?

You could also try some others things like (1) 'how to swim properly on the vasa', with sample vasa workouts and what they are good for, (2) fat bike on snow (with events listed), (3) fat bike on sand (with events listed), (4) cyclocross how to, (5) run-swim training and gear and events, (6) snowshoe, (7) mountainbike with what the different types of mountain bikes are good for, (8) strength training.

Some other things that would be interesting - Health benefits of short course versus long course, health benefits of more sports than just swim-bike-run, training in your 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's, etc.

A few years ago, Pearl Izumi had a platform called 'unsanctioned races' that you could use to create and invite people to unsanctioned races. Maybe slowtwitch could resurrect something like that?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
this question is the beginning of a process for me, sort of an end-of-year thing, looking for guidance for a number of reasons on how best to serve you all.
Start with the simple things: either ditch this forum software or fix some of its major shortcomings...

1) The search function is effectively inoperative. In a land where so many of our products contain numbers, a search that ignores numbers is Dilbert-worthy.

2) Increase the photo size limit to something much larger than 250MB. In a land where storage is rounding to free, this crazy-low limit is unusual in forum land.

Both of the above are outliers on the Internet.

Somehow solve the horrible signal to noise ratio in this forum. I moderate a couple BMW forums, and the signal to noise content there is orders of magnitude better, so finding good content is not nearly as difficult as here.

So, after the basics above, figure out how to better bucket and deliver the vast knowledge in the forum. This is the blue sky stuff. I come here to learn about the sport and improve. I am interested in posts about technology, aerodynamics, position, technique, nutrition, etc. I ignore most of the threads where people go viral and start bashing whatever they perceive as the hate de jour.

There has to be some kind of knowledge management plug-in that can scan and organize posts and threads better and and create dynamic categories around topics.

----

Editorially, reorganize the home page around the major topics that people come looking for, and make that whole process easier. This is the strategy part. I am pretty sure the main headings (Products, Local Listing, Articles, Photos, Indoor, Races, coaching, Training, Bike Fit) fall short and are not working. The don't work for me. Just look at the topic areas that generate activity in the forum... you have the richest voice of the customer feedback already at your fingertips.

Just looking at today's first page is a great guide. For example, we have two posts on Training software and a couple more on indoor trainers, several on bike equipment and upgrades, a couple on swim improvement, a couple on races, an interview. And there are a few more in the mix during the season, like race reports. Study the hot topics and realign the home page around those topics. Then orient articles within those topics and co-link them to the AI-mined forum content.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also, I want to travel to race or train on my bike, but I don't want to travel with my bike because it is a pain. And I want to travel to race, but I don't want to do an Ironman again and probably not even a 1/2 IM. There are not a lot of good options for destination races that are less long than a 1/2 IM anymore. Lavaman, Laguna Phuket, Alcatraz, Age Group Nationals are a couple that come to mind. Lavaman and Age Group Nationals were great because I was able to rent nice bikes at the race site.

So what I most "need" are more short races in cool places where I can rent a bike.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you need? Mostly? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
1) The search function is effectively inoperative. In a land where so many of our products contain numbers, a search that ignores numbers is Dilbert-worthy.

i'm sorry. at some point i just have to call bullshit on bullshit. i routinely find what some of you consider unsearchable in 30sec using our search utility.

exxxviii wrote:
2) Increase the photo size limit to something much larger than 250MB. In a land where storage is rounding to free, this crazy-low limit is unusual in forum land.

no. in a land where photo fileweight downsizing is ubiquitous there is no reason whatsoever to try to upload a plus-250mb photo on this forum. this forum archives 6 million posts. the problem is not the storage. it's the processor load. we're constantly upgrading the server hardware, RAM, processors to keep up. you guys are a busy lot. bless your heart. the last thing in my to-do list is allowing you all to put gigabyte images on a forum post.

exxxviii wrote:
Somehow solve the horrible signal to noise ratio in this forum.

you're whining. this forum has the best user-generated content of any forum you've ever been to, including those you moderate.

exxxviii wrote:
I am pretty sure the main headings (Products, Local Listing, Articles, Photos, Indoor, Races, coaching, Training, Bike Fit) fall short and are not working. The don't work for me.

now you're talking. i've been thinking the same thing. for example, we didn't used to have "indoor" on that navbar. we do because of precisely what you just said. i'm getting rid of "photos" and replacing it with "gravel". so, yes, thanks for that. thanks for the kick in the pants on that. i'll see if i can get that done this weekend.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Dec 29, 18 10:20
Quote Reply

Prev Next