I just started your plan.

First 5 days crushed me. Needed 2 days rest. Back at it today

Good luck!

Interval Design Studio
YouTube | SoundCloud
Quote Reply
Re: Flanagan FTP Plan [Flanagan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Iā€˜m 4 cycles in, had my second try at 5x5 @ 110% (first was actually 5x4 mins @ 110%) and couldnā€˜t do more than 1 min for the last intervall. the 1x20 @ 105% go smooth!

iā€˜m hooked!
next week iā€˜m back to running and swimming as well but will have one cycle per week for the next 4 weeks at least.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Flanagan wrote:

Time to get back in shape after years off. I'm going to dust off my old "Flanagan Plan" and see what happens.

Looking forward to seeing you out there again!

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Flanagan wrote:
Ideally indoor rollers. Canā€™t do everything indoors without going nuts, so certainly some outdoors. If outdoors just shoot for no stops and a low variability index (NP/AP). Often people confuse low VI with meaning ā€œflatā€ roads, but hills are fine as long as Application of power is even enough to produce VI within a couple percent of 1.0.

Zwift wasnā€™t around when I originally did this. Would be easier to do indoors nowadays than pre-Zwift.

It was such a bad idea to dive straight into this program from an untrained level. I completely destroyed myself on day 2. I almost ended up hospitalized as my CK levels in my blood peaked at 1,600. Lol...ok now but approaching getting back in shape a bit more conservatively and free form. Just logging tons of time and miles on Zwift and doing the TDZ. Seems to be working.

Iā€™ve decided the Flanagan plan, as written is for trained athletes looking for a specific FTP block. It is not for the untrained. If untrained, JFT seems to be a better protocol.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Flanagan wrote:

Iā€™ve decided the Flanagan plan, as written is for trained athletes looking for a specific FTP block. It is not for the untrained. If untrained, JFT seems to be a better protocol.

Wut? You mean there's something to this base-miles thing after all? The horror! Heresey!
Quote Reply
Re: Flanagan FTP Plan [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Flanagan wrote:

Time to get back in shape after years off. I'm going to dust off my old "Flanagan Plan" and see what happens.

Looking forward to seeing you out there again!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been following some variation of this, probably with a bit more intensity on Zwift the last 4 months. Definitely working.

Epic KOM, Alp Climbs, and group races seem to be a great way to boost FTP. I'm seeing best watts ever @ 10-60 min critical power. Working on the kg portion of W/kg ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How long you been at it now? Iā€™m about to start back up again
Quote Reply
Re: Flanagan FTP Plan [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Age adjusted for 55+, the McNulty Plan:

Day 1 = 2x20 with <5 min between @ ~95% of FTP...............full 5 minutes rest
Day 2 = 1x20 @ 100-105% of FTP, essentially an all out TT effort.........NOT HAPPENING so, 2x10 with 3-5' rest @ whatever the fuck I can do to allow for more intensity.
Day 3 = Rest or VERY EASY (ie 30-60 minutes at 50% of FTP)...all small ring. Yeah, I can do that.

Nothing for two days. Fuck, I'm old.....
Quote Reply

Prev Next