Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What do you need? Mostly? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what about garmin connect? Same goes for Polar (I'm assuming they have a similar analysis site)

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Re: What do you need? Mostly? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Editorially, content on how triathlon can be and is done on lower budget. Help move away from narrative that triathlon necessarily requires high income (ok for people who engage at that level, but other options and ways of engaging also available). I’ll close by saying that this site really is a great resource.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you need? Mostly? [AlyraD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlyraD wrote:
what about garmin connect? Same goes for Polar (I'm assuming they have a similar analysis site)

It's possible. I haven't exhaustively researched every site, since I've never used Polar and only dabbled with Garmin Connect.

I was just suggesting it because even if one of those sites works now, there's still no stated guarantee they won't change it. I thought there might be a space for a dedicated, athlete-first archiver. One with no conflict-of-interest in competing at being a power analysis service, coaching service, or selling data-generation products.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you need? Mostly? [blaxxuede] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
blaxxuede wrote:
A reasonably priced online bike fit service that uses FB messenger or FaceTime to get real time advice and feedback from a known industry professional. I know it wouldn't be as perfect as an in person fit but a lot of us live in more remote places and the time to travel and being in the comfort of home (on both sides) would be big positives.

doesn't findinfreestyle sort of fill that void? dave luscan?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: What do you need? Mostly? [AlyraD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlyraD wrote:

Agree. I use Garmin ecosystem and I consider GarminConnect my main repository. I have TrainerRoad push my workouts to GC. I have several years of training/racing data inside GC. And they do a decent job of analytics without having to pay extra.

I do use Strava but it has significant and annoying flaw - it won't consolidate multisport events into a single activity. I wouldn't consider it the main archive/repository.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry if this is a dupe, but I haven't read all the replies. Saddle (dis)comfort seems to be a recurring theme that a bunch of us deal with. How about some sort of saddle selection/setup/adjustment flowchart/database type of tool? For instance, if I'm experiencing numbness on my Cobb 55, I could punch that into the tool and it would spit out one or more recommendations. If I just bought a PN 1.1, perhaps this tool could give me some tips in terms of fore/aft and how to angle the saddle up/down for maximal comfort...just to give me a headstart on getting it dialed in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hmm.....well I guess this is the first time I've actually asked....so I'm not sure
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got it Dan Thanks A lot!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would like a way to identify and meet other Slowtwitchers at races.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm mostly interested in the ST challenges these days. In the past year, my interest in entering races and one-day events has dropped dramatically. I'm more interested in hearing about and trying the multi-day, mind-blowing challenges that ST-ers invent.

My kids consider the ST challenges a weird cross of video games and athletics. They say we should have customizable avatars and skins. Okay. It would be great (in my mind) to use the addictive powers of video games to help motivate users to exercise. I'm not a video game player, so I'm not sure what the addictive powers actually are.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you need? Mostly? [Parkland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. A better search function, a way to narrow down the search, it seams like every search has 500 returns.
2. I believe that there is a large group of "beginners" reading the posts but not posting themselves because they feel intimidated by some of the most experienced members, a beginners sub-forum would be nice, where the "more patience" members can put up with some of our annoying questions.
3. A "real" race search engine would be nice, at least for me since there is pretty much no local races where I live.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like someone else has mentioned...I'd like a database of professional services in my area that are trusted/vetted by fellow slowtwitchers or the slowtwitch staff. I had a hard time recently finding a good doctor for my sports related injury. Would be nice to have a database with health professionals like doctors, PTs, dietitians. Maybe another would be coaches: tri coach, swim specific, bike specific, etc. Bike mechanic database. This would help me get off on the right foot when in need of something. People want true professionals to reach out to but don't want to do days of searching and trial and error to find the right person for the job.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowtwitch challenges, badges or achievements on zwift. I can't always make the group rides, the work outs are not always geared to what I need.
Challenges can be done on your own time but your still part of the group dynamic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
trail wrote:
Maybe not in your swim lane, but I think there's a space out there for athlete-friendly cloud storage of training data. A training data vault. There's an increasing proliferation of sites that use or generate data. Strava, Zwift, TrainingPeaks, Xert, Rouvy, RideWith GPS, Sufferfest, et al. None of them are perfect in terms of data storage. Strava won't let you bulk download your data in a way that includes your power data, etc. So if you quit Strava and didn't set up alternative storage, then that data is lost forever (unless you want to download each ride one at a time when you quit - which sucks) And if you want to set things up so that one site is your central storage - say TrainingPeaks - then you're stuck with that service and it makes it a little harder to switch from that service if some new hotness comes along.

I think there's a space for a site that stores data in an athlete-friendly way. And by athlete-friendly I mean no attempt to "lock" you in by setting up barriers (Strava), very clear privacy rights and usage rights (no selling to 3rd parties without consent), and very clear to hook up to all these new digital services that either use or generate data. And of course free ability to bulk download *all* of your data.

This site would make no attempt to be a calendar, do analysis, etc. It just stores your data and provides all those other services (with athlete permission) the ability to read your data, add to your data, or both.

The business model would be something like free storage for manual upload, and maybe $2/month (or something) for each connected service. Or whatever pricing structure works to pay the Amazon Web Services storage fee, etc.

The aggregate data could also be useful (with consent). You could look at it and discover - hey - there's a lot of gravel riding going on in this city the past year, and sell that to advertisers or race producers to target that area.

Maybe all those services would like this anyway. They could get out of the data storage business and focus on making cool 3D worlds, etc. Or maybe they'd hate it becomes it does strip them of some power, and hands it back to the athlete.

well isn't that interesting as hell. i'll talk to eric about this. and jordan. i agree with you that one aggregator of data is needed, because data is getting generated by all your devices. but i would've thought that strava was the clearinghouse, was that place. you're saying it isn't that place? that strava is a throughway, but not the archiver. is that what you're saying?

This is why I use old client software from Sporttracks as my repository. None of the platforms really capture what I want in the waty I look at data.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you need? Mostly? [damn lucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're right, Damnlucky! We need some stinkin' badges!

And we need the full panoply of emojis. For instance, I want to give a thumbs up to Diana in the 100/100 challenge because we're basically running together-- good job, Diana! Keep it up!

I'd also like some sort of icon that indicates my intention to run someone down. Yes, you, Diana!!

And a cowbell icon for cheering. More cowbell!!

Several days ago I ran three times to try boost my 100/100 standing. After each run, I logged my run and was happy and dismayed to see that everyone in the log near me was running multiples, too. I didn't move up in the rankings at all! That was really fun to see! A cowbell icon would have really come in handy.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you need? Mostly? [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
I would like a way to identify and meet other Slowtwitchers at races.

We used to do this quite a bit.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A market maker for miracle swim instructors and athletes in need.

You know, the athlete who can run a sub 3 hr marathon but can't swim faster than 2min/100.

You know, the swim instructor who doesn't just do video analysis or prescribe drills or tower26 or anything else that works for the majority. Somebody who actually works outside of the box to get results. That is worth $$$$$ for the right instructor.

Demand is there, supply is not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Micro-Tipping

It would greatly improve content. You could even link it to an "upvote" button to micro tip the individual who provided the good content, which further incentivizes good content.

Ironman Lake Placid 2021| 70.3 Worlds St. George 2021
Last edited by: MatthewLigman: Dec 28, 18 12:36
Quote Reply
Re: What do you need? Mostly? [blaxxuede] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
blaxxuede wrote:
Got it Dan Thanks A lot!

I haven't used the service but Todd at ttfit.com comes highly recommended. I've seen his post Kona video fit analysis of pros many times. Online is still $225 though but I guess that's the going rate for a top guy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really like the idea presented of an "up vote". I think this will improve content as well as being a bit of a collective monitoring device.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
what do you wish was solved that you haven't solved? examples might be: my bike fits badly; my saddle hurts me.

I'd like a cheap (-ish) motorized cockpit & seatpost for trainer use only.

As it's on the trainer I don't really care how much it weighs, or if it needs to be plugged in, but it would allow me to easily experiment with things like saddle position/angle in small increments during a ride.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you need? Mostly? [Calamityjane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Calamityjane88 wrote:
You're right, Damnlucky! We need some stinkin' badges!

And we need the full panoply of emojis. For instance, I want to give a thumbs up to Diana in the 100/100 challenge because we're basically running together-- good job, Diana! Keep it up!

I'd also like some sort of icon that indicates my intention to run someone down. Yes, you, Diana!!

And a cowbell icon for cheering. More cowbell!!

Several days ago I ran three times to try boost my 100/100 standing. After each run, I logged my run and was happy and dismayed to see that everyone in the log near me was running multiples, too. I didn't move up in the rankings at all! That was really fun to see! A cowbell icon would have really come in handy.

I just want to say that if that is what you did, then the 100/100 achieved exactly what we hope for!!!! Keep it up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do not want an opportunity to like a forum post. I believe this community is small enough and intelligent enough to respond in words to a post that is worthy of being judged. I think adding a like button would, in the long run, hurt more than help the discourse here.

What do I want? Simply articles and discussion that keep my multisport mojo flowing after 35 years.

Thanks for everything you've done so far and happy new year!
Quote Reply
Re: What do you need? Mostly? [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I see your point, Mark Lemmon. Generally,
we ARE a literate group.

But sometimes a thumbs-up really is the FULL extent of my ideas. Sad! : (

Maybe we could vote thumbs up/thumbs down on it?

I think a Lionel Fanclub badge/regimentals would be good. I identify as a Lionel Fan.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I need an extra 4-6 hours in my day, so I can actually fit in workouts when I want to.

Other than that I'm good.

Getting back into the game...
Slower than you.
Quote Reply

Prev Next