Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What do you need? Mostly? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don’t know how to deliver what I’m going to ask for but here I go anyway...

Slowtwitch Approved Training and Nutrition resources - the best of ST advice boiled down and minus the typical thread derailment.

Running -> Barry P or Desert Dudes Full Ass Challenge (or whatever it’s called)

Biking -> Flanagan thread without all the crap from Frank Day

Swimming -> guppy thread or ???

How to combine S, B and R for typical AG

Nutrition -> ?

Maybe a poll to nominate the resources. I think what is most valuable is the organic way the content is created within the forums. Nothing is forced. The content just needs to be summarized and housed in one place on the site. The stickiest of sticky threads if you will.

Edit: also the strength training program that seemed to be popular. Maybe something on ITB or common overuse injury prevention.
Last edited by: SBRinSD: Dec 27, 18 16:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The upvote idea is good.

More "Challenges" on the Training Log (which is very nice already) would be fun/nice.

Some forum threads have allowed people to participate in "fantasy league/friendly competitions" for things like the cycling Spring Classics. Some of us have put teams into the Velogames "Slowtwitch League" for events like the Spring Classics and the GT races. A "Fantasy League Page" where forum users could enter teams for races or series of races could be fun.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure if this is already done, but it would be nice to have somewhere to rate and review triathlons and possibly other races. This could also include information such as race site link, past results links, and how many people participated in the past.

A good, complete event calendar would be an additional benefit. Trifind is pretty much unusable now, and runningintheusa doesn't have all events. The USAT calendar is too slow and cumbersome, and may not have unsanctioned events. Oksportsandfitness.com is pretty good, but it's mainly for Oklahoma, and they miss a few races. There could be a notification option with the calendar, to get an email when a race is added within x miles of a point.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you need? Mostly? [OddSlug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Following from the post (on the last page). This is in the topic of beginnners/getting started/getting set up. I kind of figured this out on my own as I went, but I am a mechanical engineer and competent with understanding geometry, so it was easy for me. I'd like a single article (maybe it's long enough to be a series) on how to start with you and your (possibly existing) bike, and set it up yourself for a good position.

You have made a great section in the sidebar this year about bike fit and expectations. And you have a great back catalogue of similar articles, e.g. somewhere you've got an old quadratic formula for saddle-to-bar drop estimates based on historic data. But it's a bit scattered across a number of pages and maybe needs refreshing.

As a guess, the story arc would be:
Overview of what a good fit means.
Understanding/measuring your own body and bike, and explanation of the critical metrics like Pad X/Y.
A calculator to output a good Pad X/Y starting point based on basic body measurements (is the work you did still licenced to Diamondback? I think it's disappeared off their website).
Explanation of how you might have to adjust your bike to achieve those coordinates.
Example equipment list to achieve this result (generalised so it doesn't date, but based around typical preferences e.g. saddle types and bar extension shapes/adjustability).
Guidelines for "critique my fit" requests (video setup and duration as mentioned).

Second idea:
I'd love to see more DIY tech, even if it's just small/aggregated articles. 3D printed bits or personalised mods , maintenance tips for free speed (lubes/waxes) etc. DIY nutrition. Someone's story on achieving their goals, or tweaking their bike from average to better. I guess the overarching thought is about making tri accessible, not an elitist equipment war. Nice bikes are nice to look at, but it's not going to help me.

Third idea:
more alternatives to the standard tri format. Offroad (you're making a great start). Ski/run? Kayak/bike? Offroad bike OR run (your choice)? Run/Bike/Shoot with extra lap penalties like pentathlon?

Fourth:
More sub forums. Being on the wrong side of the word, I wake up and there's two pages of new posts in the tri forum. Maybe subforums for: Events (Local/International), Equipment/Tech, Training/Health/Fitness? (You could split by swim/bike/run but that might get a bit isolated. Maybe keep all sports bundled together).

That's mostly nitpicking, love the forum and the site, keep up the great work.
Last edited by: MattyK: Dec 27, 18 16:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't need anything. I think the site is unique and very informative. But here's something I would like. Create a Slowtwitch Triathlon Team that is kind of like the movie "The Truman Show". You (and some coaching/corporate partners, and maybe even us at large - I would pay money to be a sponsor) sponsor a group of ~10-20 people. Maybe they're high school/college kids, or maybe they are adult athletes with a large Delta potential (kind of like your buddy Sika Henry). Fit them, supply them, coach them, etc. In return, their lives are an open book for us to "watch." Sleep, diet, training, equipment, etc. Does that make me a voyeur?

Here's another idea. Do more bios on normal people.

One more. I love triathlon, but how about a forum that is more generally, in the exercise physiology context, "slowtwitch?" I would love to see more contribution from ultrarunners, marathon kayakers, true gravel junkies, those that have hiked the John Muir Trail, cycle tourists, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
my bike fits badly; my saddle hurts me;

I have never really felt comfortable on my bike. Last IM I did, about 80 miles in to the bike portion, with my ass hurting like crazy, I made a deal with myself that when the race was over I was done with the bike for a year. That was late 2016. I have been back on a bike twice in the ensuing 26 months.

I'm starting to miss tri and have the itch to get back in to it but the thought of spending hours on the bike is a significant barrier to me.

I have paid for several fits from all of the high-end shops in my area and still, the bike ain't my friend.

Pure runner for now.

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Training plans. Even if canned. Why not get dd, jonnyo, Francois, etc etc I could go on, develop a canned plan for a) triathlon b) how to increase your ftp in ‘x’ weeks c) how to run sub 19 mins or similar on a 5k.
You could even have 1 coach do all of the above. Slowtwitch charges a fee with proceeds split between coach and the upkeep of this site.

As a frustrated athlete stuck on the same ftp for several years I would buy a ‘12 weeks to better ftp’ written by one of the coaches here. Even a 12 week half iron plan.

I understand such plans may conflict with their own coaching business - but not all coaches do canned plans, it could be another avenue for a few bucks.

Not all of us want to buy plans from unknown coaches and trust the coaches here a lot- but don’t have coin for one on one coaching
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2 things:

I don't know how you could do this, but I think it would be cool to profile (small or not) local races throughout the year. If nothing else it would draw attention to a race that likely deserves it, but it would also be fun to see coverage of events that aren't part of a big organization. I know you do that a bit (the Boston Tri coverage comes to mind), but I assume it's covered because a big name or two races it. While I'm not suggesting you drop that kind of coverage, I'd like to see a profile and race report for smaller profile races too. Those are the ones I'm more likely to sign up for these days, and the ones I'd arrange to do with friends on a mini vacation.

The other thing is more training/gear/event coverage articles that give some attention to sprint distances. Everyone focuses on the longer distances and their equipment and training needs, while seemingly dismissing the sprint distance as beginner and something you leave if you want to be a "real" triathlete. I love racing sprints. It's easier to train for with a busy schedule and they don't become bucket list events, so I can do more of them. If you want to keep the sport healthy I believe it lies in this more approachable distance. Give it more coverage please!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A comprehensive triathlon race calendar by state or better yet radius. It may exist but it's not trifind anymore
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, I've read your articles and I appreciate your efforts. Greg's latest article concerns me. I just don't understand the 650B thing, the wheels are 7mm taller...why change?

Now my Road bike is big enough to handle 650B wheels and if I come across a set I will try to fit them on there.

I've held onto my 47 Felt DA mainly because I'm afraid that if I break my 45 NP2 I won't be able to find a new bike.

I have a Felt F5 (2012 road bike), my GF rides it now. That bike is so close to being right for me, if the BB was 20mm higher I would be able to keep the drops above the top of the front wheel and keep it legal.

I was really hoping you could put a bug in some of the manufactures ears, if they aren't going to make a 650C bike then at least raise the BB so someone 5'0" could still get into an aggressive position.

Just hoping someone with your clout could influence that market.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you need? Mostly? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
these are all great. thanks. just, i want to know what you want FROM US. but, along with that, i want to know what you WANT. in general. whether you think we can provide it or not, limited to things that are actually achievable. so, "i want all triathletes to be nicer" isn't probably something i can effect. but, other stuff, as in:

"my life as a triathlete would improve if i was offered/tutored in/shown how to/provided a pathway for..."

something you think others have mastered but you struggle with. it takes some introspection. it's hard to contemplate what would make me happier/faster/more comfortable/more time efficient unless you really give it some thought. there's nothing i'm driving at. and some of you have given me that in your answers. thanks.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll also pile on everyone's upvote request.

I think one of the appeals of reddit is that the subthreads within threads are clearly delineated. That and upvotes would be awesome here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

More AMA's (Ask Me Anything) from approachable, smart, articulate, FAST pros.

The nuggets that invariably come out in those threads are awesome.

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Last edited by: stringcheese: Dec 27, 18 17:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have a guppy challenge and a run challenge. Why not 8 week ftp booster 😁
Quote Reply
Re: What do you need? Mostly? [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That exists with one of ST partners already (Zwift).

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Forum is fine, leave as is.

Articles:

- Trustworthy Tri equipment reviews. Bikes, bike bits and pieces etc. DC Rainmaker has electronics covered, but no one does the rest (no one I trust)
- Amateur interviews. Sometimes the race reports in the forum are great, but sometimes they’d benefit from professional editing etc.
- The pro race report articles could be better. They don’t offer opinion on analysis. They’re basically just the results.

Do you have good analytics? Do you know what ‘old’ forum pages people are regularly reading time and time again? There’s value in that data for you setting the path forward.

Dan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe a beginners sub-thread or section?

I know I actually joined beginner triathlete forum just to ask more of the noob questions as it seemed most folks here were more advanced.

I read through a few threads from other beginners and most of the responses were along the lines of use the search function or we’ve already discussed that, etc.

Don’t get me wrong, I use the search function before starting a thread and can usually find an answer, but I think a place for new folks would help them get immersed without feeling like they’re asking dumb or repetitive questions. It would also give the regulars a break from seeing a lot of the same topics pop up over and over again.

Love the forum. I’ve not been here long and have already learned a ton that helped me have a great first 70.3 experience.

Thanks for letting us play in your sandbox.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe not in your swim lane, but I think there's a space out there for athlete-friendly cloud storage of training data. A training data vault. There's an increasing proliferation of sites that use or generate data. Strava, Zwift, TrainingPeaks, Xert, Rouvy, RideWith GPS, Sufferfest, et al. None of them are perfect in terms of data storage. Strava won't let you bulk download your data in a way that includes your power data, etc. So if you quit Strava and didn't set up alternative storage, then that data is lost forever (unless you want to download each ride one at a time when you quit - which sucks) And if you want to set things up so that one site is your central storage - say TrainingPeaks - then you're stuck with that service and it makes it a little harder to switch from that service if some new hotness comes along.

I think there's a space for a site that stores data in an athlete-friendly way. And by athlete-friendly I mean no attempt to "lock" you in by setting up barriers (Strava), very clear privacy rights and usage rights (no selling to 3rd parties without consent), and very clear to hook up to all these new digital services that either use or generate data. And of course free ability to bulk download *all* of your data.

This site would make no attempt to be a calendar, do analysis, etc. It just stores your data and provides all those other services (with athlete permission) the ability to read your data, add to your data, or both.

The business model would be something like free storage for manual upload, and maybe $2/month (or something) for each connected service. Or whatever pricing structure works to pay the Amazon Web Services storage fee, etc.

The aggregate data could also be useful (with consent). You could look at it and discover - hey - there's a lot of gravel riding going on in this city the past year, and sell that to advertisers or race producers to target that area.

Maybe all those services would like this anyway. They could get out of the data storage business and focus on making cool 3D worlds, etc. Or maybe they'd hate it becomes it does strip them of some power, and hands it back to the athlete.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you need? Mostly? [cujo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree that profiling smaller races would be beneficial in many ways. For instance it would help with the concern about finding new races. Second, publicizing/reviewing small and medium sized races could help to grow the sport.

It is obviously impossible for Dan to travel around the country to review races. So my suggestion is that some of us on here volunteer to write up first person accounts of our participation in the races. That would address the request for more articles about non-professionals and the average MOP or even BOP.

While not many of us are sportswriters, we could have a template to follow (weather, number of participants, names of winners) and fill in with our own commentary about safety of the course, transitions set ups, water conditions, starting order, whether the races cost was justified, etc.

I may not be fast, but once I get going, it is hard to stop me...
Quote Reply
Re: What do you need? Mostly? [BigPat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is obviously impossible for Dan to travel around the country to review races. So my suggestion is that some of us on here volunteer to write up first person accounts of our participation in the races. That would address the request for more articles about non-professionals and the average MOP or even BOP. //

Great idea, we could call it Race Reports.... (-;

I like the idea of hearing about out of the mainstream races more, as good as the RR for ironman and such are, they are pretty much a cookie cutter report, with just some different times put in, and how many draft packs passed them...
Quote Reply
Re: What do you need? Mostly? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
It is obviously impossible for Dan to travel around the country to review races. So my suggestion is that some of us on here volunteer to write up first person accounts of our participation in the races. That would address the request for more articles about non-professionals and the average MOP or even BOP. //

Great idea, we could call it Race Reports.... (-;

I like the idea of hearing about out of the mainstream races more, as good as the RR for ironman and such are, they are pretty much a cookie cutter report, with just some different times put in, and how many draft packs passed them...

Don't forget to insert this part, "I was riding all alone to Hawi at 3.75W per kilo at a 4:45 bike split target when I got engulfed by a pack of 30 riders. I tried to surge to drop them but every time I surged, they repassed me ...then BAM I got a drafting penalty for repassing too quickly!!!!

and of course everyone in that pack was riding solo on a sub 5 pace until the pack caught them and they think they can drop a bunch of guys who did 9 hours at their KQ race and suddenly rather than being around 2 people in their qualifier then are beside the 30x2studs from each qualifier and now they think they can drop those guys and wondering why they are all drafing each other....

....there should be an auto ST forum feature that inserts this text, "I was too lazy to learn to swim faster to go pro so I keep swimming 65 minutes and wonder why I get engulfed by every other 65 min swimming Kona age group wannabee pro stud on the race to Hawi.

This should just entered as a standard Kona race report text field.

You can replace this text with roughly the same by the 10 hour neighbourhood hero's text at the local IM.

Neighbourhood hero meets a pack of neighbourhood heros at the regional IM and wonders why he can't drop anyone...regional hero meets other regional heros at Kona and wonders why he can't drop anyone.

Regional pro winners who race in solo arrive in Kona and wonder why Patrick Lange can do so well in the pack in Kona when he kind of sucks riding solo at Frankfurt...answer = the solo guys end up in packs at the championships.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan, I need a app/website/feature dedicated to homestays for racing. Not that there are any destination races near me but we have an extra bedroom and I would love to host people in town for racing (running/triathlon/cycling/any type).

My wife and I are also basically only able to race in places where we know we can camp or have a free place to stay. Even if it was just another section of the forum like the classifieds so I wouldn't feel bad about "begging" on the main forum. I get that most people are going to pay for a hotel well before crashing on a couch but I think with the younger crowd this would go over well. Maybe a collab with LR or other sites would create enough of a community to make it useful.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
- i like your articles. I found slowtwitch researching aero bikes, and was shocked by the great quality of your writing vs much of the biking drivel online. Some of the guest writers are also great. The articles always challenged me to think about things at another level.

- there are some very smart folks on this forum, part of why i stayed. Continue to tap them for expert articles. I would love to see some analysis of aero wheels, frames, and such.

- i like the style of bike articles. They go beyond fluff, specs, and marketing bullet-points. Continue that, focus on the cool/unique design aspects of each bike/product.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I need to have more ex-pros come on the Slowtwitch forum so we can beat them down, belittle them and effectively run them out of here never to be heard from again. Chris Boardman, Simon Lessing, and Mark Allen are some of our previous success stories.. In case you missed it we vigorously attacked these people calling them idiots who didn’t know what they were talking about. Sometimes we questioned their character. Of course thiis soon caused them to leave and any wisdom they might have shared with us was gone. Just the other day we had someone attacking an age group record setting runner who recently graced us with his presence and insights. I have often thought we should call this place Slow-witch but there was nothing slow about how we have burned these people at the stake.

So what I really need and want in the holiday spirit and perhaps as a New Year’s resolution is for members of this form to stop the harsh criticism of someone just because you don’t see things the way they do. If you disagree with someone state your facts but stop the personal attacks. And by all means next time we get someone famous on the forum let’s treat them with some special respect. (Monty must have some thick skin as we haven’t got rid of him yet! LOL)
Quote Reply
Re: What do you need? Mostly? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
I don't want this to sound like I'm complaining, it's just a serious concern.

Maybe an editorial about bikes for small people informing manufactures there is a market for properly fitting bikes for small men and women. The bike companies are pushing to eliminate 650C wheels but are not providing an alternative. I understand why they are doing it.

The bikes they are providing are short enough front to back but not low enough for people like me, this is really aimed at road bikes. They could be making their smallest bikes with a higher bottom bracket to reduce the stack like Trek did with their Superfly (MTB). Some may argue that it raises the center of gravity but in reality, we're so small 1.5 inches won't make a difference.

Perhaps there is an alternative and I haven't seen it yet.

I posted an article about this just a few days ago - it's still on the home page:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/650c_and_the_Future_of_Wheel_Sizes_7123.html
Last edited by: gregk: Dec 27, 18 20:11
Quote Reply

Prev Next