Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What do you need? Mostly?
Quote | Reply
this question is the beginning of a process for me, sort of an end-of-year thing, looking for guidance for a number of reasons on how best to serve you all. 1) editorially; and 2) there's another thread, about the possibility of starting a slowtwitch club (for gravel racing but, honestly, for whatever kind of racing you do). what i'd like to know is, in the context of triathlon in general, and what we at slowtwitch here on the site, or via possibly a club team, might offer, what do you need? what is your biggest problem?

and, what i'd like this NOT to be is a gripe session about the sport. there's only so much i can change. more as in, as you think about it, what do you wish you had that you don't have? or, what do you wish was solved that you haven't solved? examples might be: my bike fits badly; my saddle hurts me; i don't have the right running shoes; i'm asea when it comes to knowing what workouts to do; i have no training partners (that i like); my pool options suck; my swimming sucks; i don't understand how zwift works and i want to. be creative. tell me what bugs you mostly that you think i or we might be in a position to help you with. and thanks in advance. i'm looking for ideas and i suspect i'll the form them into a survey monkey and ask you all to take it.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Last edited by: Slowman: Dec 27, 18 15:00
Quote Reply
Re: What do you need? Mostly? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nada? you guys all good?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Money.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the site, and especially the forum, is a huge resource. Fairly often, there's a thread about folks leaving the sport of triathlon because of the demands of the lifestyle. (One's going with over 100 answers now.) That's me, too--I switched to just swimming with a bit of dabbling in running, largely because of time. Starting a business and having a daughter, together, really changed how much flexibility I had. Still, I love racing and my swim load has crept up and up and I'm pretty okay with that, particularly as I've continued to get faster.

I'd love to read more articles about elite amateurs and how they really build their lives to make it work, and how that's evolved over time for them. What it means for them to live a high-end endurance lifestyle, in depth, what that looks like for them and what motivates them. I don't care so much about their training log; I want the wisdom.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From slowtwitch (by far the best triathlon online presence): a bigger focus on ITU, including up and coming triathletes, info on well run triathlon programs that develop juniors,...

From the sport of triathlon in general: we do poorly providing viable avenues for kids to develop as triathletes, and move through the life stages.

Not being in the US, I don’t know what a slowtwitch team could bring me. I do have a gravel bike and would probably do a gravel (or road optional) triathlon if one existed close to where I live.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MORE!

(just kidding)

Actually for me Slowtwitch ...... is just fine .....

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't want this to sound like I'm complaining, it's just a serious concern.

Maybe an editorial about bikes for small people informing manufactures there is a market for properly fitting bikes for small men and women. The bike companies are pushing to eliminate 650C wheels but are not providing an alternative. I understand why they are doing it.

The bikes they are providing are short enough front to back but not low enough for people like me, this is really aimed at road bikes. They could be making their smallest bikes with a higher bottom bracket to reduce the stack like Trek did with their Superfly (MTB). Some may argue that it raises the center of gravity but in reality, we're so small 1.5 inches won't make a difference.

Perhaps there is an alternative and I haven't seen it yet.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you need? Mostly? [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree.

Slowtwich is just fine, I usually quickly get answers to most of my questions.

Would be nice if there was a place on the site where I could say "Hey, I'm going to spend a couple days away from home, for work, in XXX city. Anybody wants to train with me during my my trip?"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
More about elite amateurs is a nice idea. Both how they squeeze training into their life and a rough idea of what they’re doing.

More virtual rides would be great. I’m an early morning trainer (done by 6am) so group rides aren’t an option.

I’ve enjoyed some of the series (Zwift, Saddles, etc)

Overall I truly enjoy the site and all you do so these are the nitty gritty of desires.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Time and money. I have two children that are high level competitive athletes. Club sports are expensive and time consuming. I’ve raced over an estimated 250 endurance races over the past 30+ years so not complaining too much but not a lot of free weekends to race in my future. I do love watching my kids compete though.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just so you 2nd rate citizens of this forum, now your place.... DAN POSTED THIS FIRST IN LR, CAUSE HE VALUES US MORE.

running back to my side of the wall.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you need? Mostly? [Trexlera] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trexlera wrote:
I think the site, and especially the forum, is a huge resource.

This highlights what I need: a way to up and possibly downvote posts.

Someone comes on here asking for advice about anything from bike fit, to training plans, etc. and in the course of 3 days they will get every answer on the spectrum. Some answers will come from experts in that area, and yet it shares the same space as someone who doesn't know anything about it but rattles off an answer (which is really just their opinion) anyways.

I'd like to be able to upvote a post, even if you don't add the ability to downvote them. A way to agree with something without comment; to help someone see what is at the very least the most popular opinion (which may still be wrong, but there it is anyways).

I wouldn't say I "need" that, but it would be pretty valuable IMHO.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you need? Mostly? [Diabolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To add to my previous post: there is no other slowtwitch, it would be awesome if it became truly global and less with a US bias. That also speaks to the quality of your product, Dan. And I understand it may not be your duty to address other countries’ market failures :-).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
what do you wish you had that you don't have?

There was a blog post I used to look at periodically that detailed some guys progression from starting out through 10 years of triathlon. The page is gone now, but it had his PMC, USAT scores, number of races etc... with a bunch of training notes & how things evolved over time.

What made it interesting was the combination of some general training load information with the outcome.

It was somewhat akin to the average Speed vs Watts thread, giving a rough 'looks alright' or 'time to investigate' indication.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you need? Mostly? [Durhamskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, a down/up vote option would be great. Otherwise I think you’re doing a great job.

Durhamskier wrote:
Trexlera wrote:

Someone comes on here asking for advice about anything from bike fit, to training plans, etc. and in the course of 3 days they will get every answer on the spectrum. Some answers will come from experts in that area, and yet it shares the same space as someone who doesn't know anything about it but rattles off an answer (which is really just their opinion) anyways.

I'd like to be able to upvote a post, even if you don't add the ability to downvote them. A way to agree with something without comment; to help someone see what is at the very least the most popular opinion (which may still be wrong, but there it is anyways).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A lot of good ideas, but in particular I'd like to give a thumbs up to have a space for those that travel and would like a training buddy. As for me, I think it would be awesome to do a Slowtwitch Training Camp, or several. My cycling team does one every spring, and we do it on the cheap. We split the cost of a house, some guys buy groceries together and cook, others eat out. Its a very cheap way to get a lot of good training in with like minded people. Not to mention, its a lot of fun! We typically only do a Tuesday-Saturday, so not even a full week. My biggest week of training was last springs training camp. It was all cycling, but I got in over 300 miles (24 hours of cycling).
Quote Reply
Re: What do you need? Mostly? [dhoose] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think what the site needs is subforums. I’d definitely like to see one for race reports. I love reading those. The content generated by the forum members is the most valuable thing on here but in a week or two the thread disappears never to be seen again. I can’t tell you how many times I run across some great reading on here that is many years old and I wonder how much is out there that I will never see cause the search thing is not that great here.
Quote Reply
Re: What do you need? Mostly? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
I don't want this to sound like I'm complaining, it's just a serious concern.

Maybe an editorial about bikes for small people informing manufactures there is a market for properly fitting bikes for small men and women. The bike companies are pushing to eliminate 650C wheels but are not providing an alternative. I understand why they are doing it.

The bikes they are providing are short enough front to back but not low enough for people like me, this is really aimed at road bikes. They could be making their smallest bikes with a higher bottom bracket to reduce the stack like Trek did with their Superfly (MTB). Some may argue that it raises the center of gravity but in reality, we're so small 1.5 inches won't make a difference.

Perhaps there is an alternative and I haven't seen it yet.

you did read this, right? on our front page? and this and this and this? you know who brought 650c wheels into the tri market, yes? you're preaching to the choir! it is almost always wrong to blame the customer. but in this narrow case the problem lay squarely with the customer. felt, cervelo, trek, cannondale, and some other company that escapes memory (?), spent bad money after good to provide bikes for those of smaller stature and the customer just... wouldn't... buy them. it's kind of like a population killing off all of its food supply, or cutting down all of its trees. you don't realize the problem you created until the thing you want is gone.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: What do you need? Mostly? [Durhamskier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Durhamskier wrote:
Trexlera wrote:

In the absence of upvoting I am replying to second this.

One thing I think might be useful is templates for common things done in the forum. For instance - critique my bike fit - what is the best way to take the photo, personal/bike metrics/stats needed, tools to add angle, links to tools that help with this and useful advice. Basically a form to walk someone through that type of question. This could evolve over time and partly be a hub for knowledge in that area. An injury post would be another example.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also I really like the focus on swim-run events you've brought. I understand slowtwitch to have been intended to be more than just tri, and I'd love to see a broader focus.
My own, tendentious interest: How about more on crazy open water swims like SCAR and the Portland Bridge Swim and whatnot?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Besides more vacation, time and money, I like the idea of articles for top performing AG or just more articles from young Pros in general. Slowtwitch Podcast?

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: What do you need? Mostly? [JesseR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Run form 'self help' articles/videos.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dan

1. I'd lilke to see more profiles of "regular age grouper". Seriously, I don't want to read articles about almost pro guys who are basically slow pros (most of them can't swim, so they don't go pro)....lots of pros have equally demanding work and professional lives. I'd really like to read more about real world age grouper struggles. The person with 5 kids who qualifies for Kona 5 years in a row and runs in an investment bank is less interesting than the story about the 2:40 Olympic athlete who go in the sport 2 years ago and is struggling with how to fit everything in for her first Ironman and is wondering if she should keep pushing through or just ask WTC for a refund....what I am talking about is interviewing people that many readers can relate to. They can't really relate to Sam Gyde biking 4:30 (and I know Sam personally)....give us the gal from the same town as Sam who is a single nurse raising a 7 year old who is trying to figure it out.
  2. I would like to see some articles about back of pack pros who hold full time jobs and trying to make it work out and are struggling to take it to the next level (hey do you and Emilio fall into that category back in the day?) and trying to make other sources of income cover things. These athletes need more coverage then the fast age groupers.
  3. You have departed substantially from many of the lifestyle articles that guys like you, Molina, Riccitello would write. Stuff like credit card unsupported bike tours, cool rides (some of the coverage of swim run kind of touches there but not quite). It would be nice to see articles about cool training, either places, or a weird workout (for example, I have a friend, who is going to do 60 minutes of running, 60 minutes back country skiing, 60 minutes snow shoeing, 60 minute classic skiing on his 60th birthday.
  4. Another set of interesting people would be former pros. Give us one every month or two and give us the "what are they doing now and how has triathlon helped or hurt their path". If they were to rewind time, would they have gotten the alphabet soup series of letters after their names going to grad school etc and gotten a real job, or are they happy with their path.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This may or may not be on the site somewhere already - to be honest I first came here for the tri forum and transitioned across to the LR as life/injury/motivation became factors - but at this stage of my life I'd love a great resource for learning about how best to deal with injuries in later life.

In years past I would be making this request as it pertains to getting me back on the track for an A race. But now for me the bigger picture is how can I make the back half of life more comfortable. I used to get depressed that I would miss a week or two because of patella tendonapathy, ITBS or a calf strain. Now, having been formally diagnosed with a medial meniscus tear, I get depressed that it hurts when my kids want me to launch them off my shoulders in the pool and that there's potentially no light at the end of the tunnel.

This sport can take a massive toll on our bodies, even when done right. I suspect many of us spend much of our limited free time on simply training hard and not necessarily understanding (or finding the time) for 'preventative maintenance'. If we get this wrong we could be setting ourselves up for a sedentary retirement that introduces a whole range of other health issues.

So although there are already quite a few forums, I'd like to see anything relating to injury and health in its own forum so that it's easier to find. Injuries also grouped (knee, calf, foot, shoulder etc), general health (high BP, heart issues), mental health (the relationship between training and depression). Perhaps invite respected physicians to contribute a piece now and then (arthritis, knee replacements). Better guidance on the 'whole of life' approach to this sport, where we might find ourselves in 10-20-30 years time if done wrong. In my case, realising that being on the other side of 40 I can't just pull on the shoes (after having taken 6 plus months off running) and collect a heap of Strava KOM's on holidays and expect there to not be consequences (evidently quite significant ones). For some it's hard to turn off the competitive streak (again, is perhaps an article for the mental side)

Sure the sport is about competing/personal achievement, race destinations, nutrition, equipment and training techniques, but if you manage to get through this journey without having dealt with an array of injuries or, rarer still, can walk away without any real lasting effects, then you're one of the lucky ones. I know many are probably very good at managing this through their racing days, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who isn't great at turning the dial down from time to time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think there's a need to placate the constant treadmill of new members on the belt of the same concerns all of us experience at some point as we progress into deeper and deeper waters in our sport. Things like...

- I just got my first TT bike, how should I feel, how do I know what to look for in a fit, etc.
- I'm an adult onset swimmer. Enough said.
- What's the butter zone sweet spot for running volume for standalone run races/tri/du/etc.
- How do I balance all of this with my job/family/life/etc
- How do I deal with setback and injury

Now, I say this AFTER I saw your response to the "shorty club" bike post (of which I am a proud member, /sidebar), in which you basically jumped down the guy's throat saying WE ALREADY HAVE FIFTEEN HOURS OF READING ON THIS. Well, most of us don't have fifteen hours available to read through everything and then another fifteen to figure out how it directly applies to *our* situation which is could be a very small question that Siri could answer, and not have the encyclopedia thrown towards us.

Maybe that means more than a "hot topic" menu, like a subforum for the "on-rampers" to the sport, where people could feel comfortable asking these questions and getting the pinpoint answers they need. Maybe that means a space for people to ask for one-on-one help in their regions, so there's a face to attach to the name. Or maybe this all means having links thrown at me saying this has already been done and in my limited time to browse the forum as a relative newcomer, I have missed all of this and still remain an outsider.

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply

Prev Next