Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: December fish thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
I've been using 1500y, yes. I've also been using the short+long= 2xMed rule. I have NOT done a double day, yet.

So far it's you, me and TC.

The next 5 days (after today) are gonna be goose eggs on the swim for me. The only water I will be near is a no-swim lake. I'm taking some stretch chords... So, maybe I'll get a session in or two.

I'll probably miss a run or two, as well.

I think over 100 days, 50 swims + 50 runs would be very doable for a lot of people. 100 of each, I think would be a real stretch. I think I could pull it off in a year when I am structurally sound. That's not this year. I think I could get to 50 runs and 100 swims. I almost never go and do less than 1500m anyway and I'm in the pool every day (other than Dec 25/26). If I can do 100 swim and 50 jog/shuffles (maybe I am getting ahead of myself for the latter) where the last 20 runs are actually continuous runs without stops to stretch, then that will be a big achievement and give me the basic function to do a sprint tri next summer (maybe).
Quote Reply
Re: December fish thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah 50+50 seems like a normal training week... 3-4 runs + 3-4 swims. 150 seems like where the challenge actually starts... That's 5+5.

I've been doing the barryp thing for 2 years so already at 6-7x. I forget to take run days off sometimes. Swim still needs more management, though. But 8 days in, I'm not too worse for the wear. I've been combining longer runs on days with(after) harder/longer runs... That seems to maximize recovery time before the next hard swim.

So, 100+80 (r+s) seems pretty doable. I may have to do some doubles later in the challenge. Maybe split my long run into doubles or add a 1500y recovery swim after a hard day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
So far it's you, me and TC.

... and I have no minimum distance; my little 300-600 yd swims have really added up, so I'm counting anything. I'm not out to "Game the system" by doing a day of 50 yard swims each hour.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: December fish thread [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yesterday 12 mi run

today 3.6 mi run, 2025 yd swim

4 x 100 on 1:30 w/u
10 x [50 kick on 1:30 + 100 fast on 1:30] 1:15, bunch of 1:13s, 1:14, 1:14
125 kick/swim c/d

8/8/6

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Inching close to my 500 mile goal: at 495.53 after today’s 4833 yard OW swim. It was quite the adventure swim with good sized surf and very high tide. So high, we abandoned the beach as our locker room and moved high up the stairs – the base of the stairs were getting drenched by surf. Heidi & I swam south to a beach spit, walked over to the other side and got back in. We circled around the big rock, Goff Island and swam back. About 62°F out there.
https://www.facebook.com/...115591729&type=3

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So did my little run to qualify for another in the 100/100 and had the plan for a good swim today. Jumped in and it was 86 degrees, ouch!! So did a bit of that 100 warm up set, and got to the biggie as a pull set, failed on #19..

7x100- 3@1;40/3@1;30/1@1;25(1;25/25/24/22/22/21/19)
3x100IM kick@2;10(2;02 to 1;54)

18x100pull- 3@1;40/3@1;35/3@1;30/3@1;25/3@1;20/3@1;15-- first 12 1;23 to 1;18, last 6(1;15/15/14/12/12/13) failed on #19, just too hot to continue.

5x100IM kick@2;10(1;56 to 1;50)
4x50 fly/free@1;00(fly's 17+'s)
3500SCY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Yeah 50+50 seems like a normal training week... 3-4 runs + 3-4 swims. 150 seems like where the challenge actually starts... That's 5+5.

I've been doing the barryp thing for 2 years so already at 6-7x. I forget to take run days off sometimes. Swim still needs more management, though. But 8 days in, I'm not too worse for the wear. I've been combining longer runs on days with(after) harder/longer runs... That seems to maximize recovery time before the next hard swim.

So, 100+80 (r+s) seems pretty doable. I may have to do some doubles later in the challenge. Maybe split my long run into doubles or add a 1500y recovery swim after a hard day.

OK.....as of this morning, I got up to 1181km for the year. If I do 9000m between tomorrow and Monday, then when I do the 10,000m IM swim on Dec 27th that brings me to 1200km for the year.....

sooooo......

today I had a 100/100/100 + 10,000IM TEST day.

started off with 22 minutes on the Woodway curve treadmill at the gym beside the pool (to add to yesterday's 25 min, so I get credit for one 100/100 run from that0. This is probably not the best way to start an IM swimming test set give we are talking about a guy who has not run all year. On top of this I did a really hard weights + rowing set yesterday. I could barely stand up nor lift my arms at work yesterday afternoon.

But I realized that the 10,000m IM day is fast approaching so I needed to figure what type of pacing may be doable. Today's "TEST" was on no taper, and pretty fried. When I attempt on 27 Dec, I'll have 2 days of zero swimming "taper".

So today's set

• 500m free warmup
  • 9x500m IM as 400IM+100IM target time coming in 10 minutes, target departure time 11 minutes.
  • 500m free cool down

The only reason I did not do ten reps today is because I ran out of lane swim time, so I had to do my 500m cooldown during public swim with no lane lines.

I tried to take it pretty easy early and I was hitting the 400IM in around 7:50 and the additional 100IM was bringing me up to 9:40 or so. This gave me 1:20 of "rest". After a while my 400IM times were inching up to 8 minutes. Intially I was losing time on the backstroke leg on account of recovering from the fly. About halfway through, my breast stroke started getting sloppy. Now my 500IM time was right on 10 minutes which I held for most of it. Then the last three I suddenly started losing even more on the back and breast legs and ended up taking 10:10 for each 500IM. The problem the longer I took for the swimming is it cut into the rest interval making things harder and harder to try to hit the 10 min target pace.

All it, it was a 22 min run plus 2 hour swim and I realized that I only did it on one bottle of water.

I think for Dec 27th's 10,000m IM set where I have to do twenty of these, is that I do the first 10 on 11 minutes departure. Then the next 10 on 12 minutes departure giving me more time to refuel. I would like to see if I can hold 10 minutes for each 500IM for all twenty, so more rest will be needed. The entire workout will take me 3:50 if I can hit the pace times and when I finish this workout, I should hit 1200km for the year.

I think this would be a big achievement for a guy who did his first 400IM in practice last Nov and first race this March, plus being run over by a bus.

I am writing all this down, mainly because if I write it down, then I am accountable (at least to the fish) to try to pull it off. Now that I wrote it up, there is no backing off.

Based on today's test, it is in the realm of possibility. This will also be the longest swim of my life in terms of duration. I am not sure how this will work out. I may need to do three kick fly at some point in this as I don't know how well my upper body endures the last hour of this. I THINK I am good to go for the first 2.5 hours. Last year's 10K I had some ramen noodles in one bottle and concentrated gatorade in another bottle and that got me through (and last year's 10,000m was 2500m fly, 500m back, 500 breast, 6500m free....this year all that back and breast will be what breaks me if I do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First big day in a while. Did all 3 sports today.

Swim:

4x100 desc (30s) 1:44/38/33/27
2x50 (30s) recovery
30x25 usrpt (15s) 18.5s, fails: #20, #28
Did the last 25 in 16.5s
100 recovery
4x50 on 60s coming it at 44/45
100ez

Bike: 25miles 2x20 @ftp

Run: 4.1miles

Dec 16/22 29kscy

8/8/8 SHT challenge

Time to eat!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Felt tired from long bike yesterday, so today was IM day
SCY
600 fr in 7:10
400 IM kick

6x200 on 3:30 (IM/BK/IM/BR/IM/FR)
6x100 on 1:45 (same as above)
200 FR pull on 3:00
2x150 pull (FR/BK) on 2:15
2x100 pull (FR/BR) on 1:30/1:45
100 warm down

3600 SCY total
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK,I am 5 runs, 8 swim, 8 days. I believe Monty is on the plan too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK,I am 5 runs, 8 swim, 8 days. I believe Monty is on the plan too. //

Well I'm 9 runs, 6 swims, 3 bikes, and two weights in so far, but really it is about the running consistency. The swims are to just bridge the gap to later in Jan, as well as the bikes. And both swim/bike seem to help my legs from the runs, so they are therapeutic I suppose...So I will only be posting up swims that are outside my recovery swims for now, so as not to bore everyone...
Quote Reply
Re: December fish thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First missed swim. Travel day to our location for Xmas: lake house in East Texas. I brought my swim cords so I'm gonna try and do something tomorrow. I haven't uused them in over a year, so we will see how that goes.

Went out for a short run after we got here. So I'm still 100% on the run.

I guess we need a consistent presentation for swim / run / days... My proposal. Thus I'm at:

8/9/9 (s/r/days)
Quote Reply
Re: December fish thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
OK,I am 5 runs, 8 swim, 8 days. I believe Monty is on the plan too. //

Well I'm 9 runs, 6 swims, 3 bikes, and two weights in so far, but really it is about the running consistency. The swims are to just bridge the gap to later in Jan, as well as the bikes. And both swim/bike seem to help my legs from the runs, so they are therapeutic I suppose...So I will only be posting up swims that are outside my recovery swims for now, so as not to bore everyone...

Keep us abreast of all your sport stats!!!

Hey, after today's swim, I am at 1186km for the year. I have 4k tomorrow then 2 day taper and then the 10K swim on Dec 27th!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dry land day. I did 20 minutes of butterfly stretch cords, which I'm calling good enough to count as a swim.

Also 3.8m hill run.

9 / 10 / 10.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hit my 500 mile mark this morning with one of the stupidest swims I’ve done. With 25 mph winds, rain and big swells, the others turned back as I persevered towards Seal Rock. Whitewater on the peaks of every wave which were churning past me every few seconds and were upwards of 20 foot faces. Later, the other guys said they’re laughing while watching me swim up those walls of water. The return trip was crazy, as well with the wave coming from behind and to the right of me. I breathe to the right, so now I could see the waves coming. Several were just right to catch a little body surfing ride, otherwise it was just a moment with my feet higher than my head. Crazy fun! – 2376 yards to give 500.2 miles for the year.
Now I have to do something boring as crap — Swim a straight 5500 yards in a pool under 1:40 to qualify for Portland Bridge Swim next year.

Quote Reply
Re: December fish thread [HalfSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congrats on your 500 miles!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3.6 mi run
1825 yd swim

6 x 100 on 1:30 w/u
3 x [50 kick on 1:30 + 100 fast on 1:30] 1:16, 1:14, 1:13
3 x [50 kick on 1:30 + 200 fast on 3:00] 2:32, 2:33, 2:36
25 kick c/d

Dec. swims: 16/26 (20,725 yds)
stupid human trick 12/12/7

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Second swim in ramp-up to new season training beginning on Monday.

400 warm up at 1:31 pace

4x100 as 25 hard, 25 easy, 25 hard, 25 easy - blended 1:23 pace

200 easy at 1:34 pace

4x50 hard at 1:12 pace

100 easy in 1:32

4x25 hard at 1:07 pace

200 cool down at 1:36 pace

Nourish - Sports Nutrition Made Easy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HalfSpeed wrote:
I hit my 500 mile mark this morning with one of the stupidest swims I’ve done. With 25 mph winds, rain and big swells, the others turned back as I persevered towards Seal Rock. Whitewater on the peaks of every wave which were churning past me every few seconds and were upwards of 20 foot faces. Later, the other guys said they’re laughing while watching me swim up those walls of water. The return trip was crazy, as well with the wave coming from behind and to the right of me. I breathe to the right, so now I could see the waves coming. Several were just right to catch a little body surfing ride, otherwise it was just a moment with my feet higher than my head. Crazy fun! – 2376 yards to give 500.2 miles for the year.
Now I have to do something boring as crap — Swim a straight 5500 yards in a pool under 1:40 to qualify for Portland Bridge Swim next year.

Big thumbs up !!!!

Congrats.

So I finished up the year at work and at 1190km of swim....I finally had my first vacation from the office and time to unwind and "BAM"....cold, chills, fever, congestion....spent most of the 24th in bed and recovering the 25th and today (26th). My plan was to go for the 10K IM swim tomorrow when the pool opens, but I don't think it would be wise to "deplete" my body so soon after being sick. I'll get back into a few light days of exercise now that the fever and cold are gone and give the 10K a go on the 29th.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3.7 mi run
825 yd swim

too bad I didn't get up earlier; felt great in both sports

500 w/u
2 x [50 kick + 100 fast] 1:14, 1:13
25 kick c/d

Dec. 17/27
stupid human trick 13/13/8

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
4.3 mi run progressive
1375 yd swim

1000 w/u 14:20
50 kick
3 x 100 on 1:25
25 kick c/d

Dec. 18/28
stupid human trick 14/14/9

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Done with the qualifier for Portland Bridge Swim. 5500 yards in 1:19:24. Had to be under 1:40. That’s about 1/4 the race distance. Felt pretty good.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nice!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3.6 mi run
2325 yd swim

20 x 100 on 1:30
50 kick
100 IM
50 kick
50 free
75 kick

rough swim; could not keep my hips up for the life of me.

Dec. 19/29
stupid human trick 15/15/10

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HalfSpeed wrote:
Done with the qualifier for Portland Bridge Swim. 5500 yards in 1:19:24. Had to be under 1:40. That’s about 1/4 the race distance. Felt pretty good.

Congrats!!!!

After getting sick at Xmas, I have been doing a few light workouts and am at 1196.2km for the year. I need 3800m to get over the 1200km mark. I think I am recovered enough from the sickness to give my 20x500IM attempt a go tomorrow.

Here is the plan

9x500IM come in at 10 min depart on 11 min (this will take me roughly 1:40 (actually 1:39).

2 min nutrition break

Then 8x500IM depart on 12 min.....this is another 96 minutes. drink Gatorade + salt mix after every 500 IM

Final 3x500IM....whatever it takes but hopefully sub 40 minutes for the entire block

Target is to get it all done sub 4 hours. I may be taking too much rest during the second block which may or may not be helpful once my heart rate settles down. I should be coming in around 9:45 for the first bunch, then 10, then 10:30...so even at 10:30 it should be 90 second rest, which may just end up being too much standing around and wasting time.

Dev
Quote Reply

Prev Next