Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Can you make this set? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah it could be a good challenge/progress tracking set. I'll try to test myself in the next couple of weeks and put it in the fish thread. Need to be mentally prepared as it's going to *hurt*

-----
Quote Reply
Re: Can you make this set? [Optimal_Adrian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Optimal_Adrian wrote:
Yeah it could be a good challenge/progress tracking set. I'll try to test myself in the next couple of weeks and put it in the fish thread. Need to be mentally prepared as it's going to *hurt*

I haven't been in the water in a couple of months. If I do it now, I'd probably wind up at the bottom of the pool. So, in other words, it sounds like a great idea. I'll see if I can get there this week. I've arranged with the powers that be to start back in the water in early Jan, but if I can get in a little bit in December that would be ideal.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Can you make this set? [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope, still can't make the set. Tried again today and swam thru the 1:25 round coming in at 22 for the last one (incremental gain over last try), but mental fortitude just was not there today and I gave in to the tingling arms/legs and didn't even launch an effort at the 1:20 round. Took an extended break and then did the 1:20s as a stand-alone effort, but with buoy and paddles. Probably going to revisit your set periodically and see what happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 There’s no way I can make that set. I swim around 32 minutes for half, 1:05 full
Quote Reply
Re: Can you make this set? [DBF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, we’re about the same spot I’d guess.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Can you make this set? [mhoffman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mhoffman wrote:
Read this thread a while back and thought it was a fun idea so I gave it a go; a bit modified mind you ...

3 x 100 @ 1:45
3 x 100 @ 1:40
3 x 100 @ 1:35
3 x 100 @ 1:30
3 x 100 @ 1:25
3 x 100 @ 1:20
3 x 100 @ 1:15
3 x 100 @ 1:10
3 x 100 @ 1:05
1 x 100 @ 1:00 ... missed the 2nd 100 on 1:00

Was a great challenge set and will probably repeat it in the future. As a reference I have a swimming background (college) and my 70.3 swim PR is 24:37 (wetsuit) and 140.6 swim PR is 50:38 (wetsuit).

Dang...they walk among us! That’s wild stuff. Nice work!

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SCY that would be a relatively easy set for me to make, SCM a bit harder but likely do-able and LCM I think I'd be pushed though I would back myself!

Best olympic tri time 19:42 at the first AG WTS leeds race (had to swim through multiple waves that started ahead of me otherwise would have been a bit faster)

Best 70.3 time 24:08 (on a 2000m swim course - published and according to GPS)

For reference my best standalone 1500m times are 17:04:61 (LCM), 17:12:51 (SCM), though these were quite some time ago!!

Practise doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could do it with fins LCM lol, have no idea how it compares to SCY.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Absolutely! I am all for a December to March Challenge.

I am swimming the USMS New England SCY Championships in March with the goal of breaking 5:00 in the 500 so that will be great timing. I will definitely be giving this set a few more goes between now and then and will post updates periodically.

Last edited by: mhoffman: Dec 21, 18 6:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mhoffman wrote:
Absolutely! I am all for a December to March Challenge.

I am swimming the USMS New England SCY Championships in March with the goal of breaking 5:00 in the 500 so that will be great timing. I will definitely be giving this set a few more goes between now and then and will post updates periodically.

Sub 5 is pretty quick, I'm rooting for you to do it.

How old are you?

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is indeed haha. PR is 5:06 from back in college where I was predominantly a sprinter. I am 31, so it has been a while.

Quote | Reply
mhoffman wrote:
It is indeed haha. PR is 5:06 from back in college where I was predominantly a sprinter. I am 31, so it has been a while.
You're still a young pup. No problem, you got this.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been wanting to do this one for a while and when I heard our masters coach was going out of town I volunteered to create a workout for last nights swim. I live in Kansas with a bunch of K-State and KU alumni and I'm the lone Fresno State Bulldog so I decided to have some fun with it. I did the hard/Bulldog set and barely made those 1:25's (SCY).

Last edited by: TrierinKC: Dec 21, 18 7:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well just going off this first crack at this set you did, you were about 5;15 for the last 5, and that is just the interval times added up. Assume you made all the 1;05's by maybe 3 seconds or so??

So I would say that is a great goal for you in March, it is out there far enough that I would give you a 20/80% chance of making/not making it..

Likely you will break your PR though, then you could come swim Masters Nationals with all of us in Mesa AZ at the end of April. That just might be the extra work/rest and competition that swims that speed you will need to crack it...

And definitely keep us updated, for a guy of your old speed trying this in your 30's, it would be remarkable. I know guys that swam 30 seconds faster that would struggle with that goal...
Quote Reply
Re: Can you make this set? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Well just going off this first crack at this set you did, you were about 5;15 for the last 5, and that is just the interval times added up. Assume you made all the 1;05's by maybe 3 seconds or so??

So I would say that is a great goal for you in March, it is out there far enough that I would give you a 20/80% chance of making/not making it..

Likely you will break your PR though, then you could come swim Masters Nationals with all of us in Mesa AZ at the end of April. That just might be the extra work/rest and competition that swims that speed you will need to crack it...

And definitely keep us updated, for a guy of your old speed trying this in your 30's, it would be remarkable. I know guys that swam 30 seconds faster that would struggle with that goal...

I'll give him better odds than that. if he was a 5:06 in college as a sprinter, that means that he'd be in reality a 4:55 ish guy back then, as I doubt he ever swam the race shaved / tapered. As a point of reference, I was (converted to SCY) a 4:50 guy in college (swam it shaved and tapered just once though), and as a 45 y/o I went 5:10. Pretty sure that if I had been doing masters meets as a 31 year old pup I would have been easily sub-5. I'd put mhoffman around the same.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I could make that set in metres (we did something similar in practice a week or two ago, with the final round on 1:10, which stung a little); for SCY I could probably get down to 1:00, but I wouldn't be able to fake being happy about it. I haven't done a lot of 70.3's lately, but for IM I'm 52 - 53m.

For perspective, my son is a swimmer, and at a race I did recently they cut the swim down to 1 loop instead of two. He did the math out loud, and in complete seriousness asked: "If you swam, what, 1,900m less than normal, then your time was light by about 22 minutes?" Me: "Yeah, T., that sounds right. Let's just go with that number, shall we?"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok hoffman, had a crack today, but pool was 86, so left some meat on the bone so to speak. After warm up did it as a pull set after my morning run:

18x100pull- 3@1;40/3@1;35/3@1;30/3@1;25/3@1;20/3@1;15-- first 12 1;23 to 1;18, last 6(1;15/15/14/12/12/13) failed on #19, just too hot to continue.

So that is my baseline for starting, I will have to hit a cool pool with lane lines and gutters to have any shot at those 1;10's..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Ok hoffman, had a crack today, but pool was 86, so left some meat on the bone so to speak. After warm up did it as a pull set after my morning run:

18x100pull- 3@1;40/3@1;35/3@1;30/3@1;25/3@1;20/3@1;15-- first 12 1;23 to 1;18, last 6(1;15/15/14/12/12/13) failed on #19, just too hot to continue.

So that is my baseline for starting, I will have to hit a cool pool with lane lines and gutters to have any shot at those 1;10's..

The pool I swim in is regularly 84F. I have been doing a lot of IM lately & the heat is just miserable. Did you at least have a snowdrift to jump into when you got done?
Quote Reply
Re: Can you make this set? [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you at least have a snowdrift to jump into when you got done? //

Ha, that's a good one. 70+ degrees outside, sunny with no wind. I wish I had some snow, at least for that 20 minutes after. I usually do a 20 minute hot tub, using the jets to massage my legs, but not today!!! And usually this pool is around 83, so not sure what happened. And it is outdoors with no covers, so they have to be burning cash each night when it gets down into the 40's. Come to think of it, my HOA fees pay for it, so I think I will make a call...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My HOA in SoCal only heats the pool from Memorial Day to Labor Day. You must live in a neighborhood of multi million dollar homes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty - great work, especially given the hot pool. Great baseline. Sorry for the late reply; holidays had me unplugged for a couple of weeks.

For those looking to jump in the January swim challenge fun, yesterday was the opening day of the 2019 U.S. Masters Swimming 1hr ePostal National Championships. Anyone planning on giving it a go?

https://www.usms.org/events/national-championships/epostal-national-championships/2019-epostal-national-championships

Quote | Reply
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:
This would be incredibly easy. I've done 4200scy broken but essentially leaving on 1:20/100 for the entire thing.

Also, the way you word things is odd to me... if I have a set leaving on 1:20, I still rest. It might only be 10 seconds but there is rest at the wall.

I never push the pace in a 70.3, so roughly 27:00 and 54:30 for a full.

I love triathletes. Brag much?
Quote Reply
Re: Can you make this set? [uptown423] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
uptown423 wrote:

I love triathletes. Brag much?

Actually no, I rarely brag. I actually hate talking about myself... I reserve all my front doors for Slowtwitch.
Quote Reply
Re: Can you make this set? [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Of course that set is too easy for you, and because of this, I Nominate Brentwood for Hoffman's set. If you missed it, start at 3 on the 1;40 and reduce interval until failure. He made it to one under the minute barrier, so you have that out there as the high water mark. I failed on the first one on the 1;10, but will get at least one or two next time if the pool is cooler..

No back doors, just straight on front door bragging on that set...(-;
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Of course that set is too easy for you, and because of this, I Nominate Brentwood for Hoffman's set. If you missed it, start at 3 on the 1;40 and reduce interval until failure. He made it to one under the minute barrier, so you have that out there as the high water mark. I failed on the first one on the 1;10, but will get at least one or two next time if the pool is cooler..

No back doors, just straight on front door bragging on that set...(-;

I'll make something on 1:05 when I'm fit. I promise I'll never get under :60. That's badass!
Quote Reply

Prev Next