Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Chuck Wurster, VP RacerMate/Computrainer, has passed away.
Quote | Reply
For those that would care to know about such things, I was just informed of the very sad news that Chuck Wurster passed away yesterday. I post this knowing the risk that some will take the opportunity to air their personal frustrations either with Chuck or the demise of Computrainer, but hopeful that more people will take the opportunity to consider the contributions he made to our sport and community over the years.

I met him more than 20 years ago and enjoyed every opportunity we had to share a meal and discuss his ideas about business and the sport of triathlon. His product was central to my coaching business over the years and he was personally responsible for several unique opportunities that I've had during my career. Throughout countless phone calls and lunches, either in Seattle or trade events, I found Chuck to to be a thoughtful and curious person always striving to find new ways to support athletes and coaches.

Chuck Wurster was, without question, a complicated man, but also a good man. I am grateful for all that he contributed to our sport and I am grateful to have called him a friend.

Bryant Howard

It is with a heavy heart that those of us here at RacerMate must tell you that we are closing the doors on CompuTrainer. Technology and competition from larger companies have both eaten into the marketplace. As a small company with the premier indoor trainer in terms of performance and durability, we have found ourselves in a place where we cannot continue. It has been a marvelous 40+ years and we have enjoyed sharing in the victories and friendships we have made along the way.†[signed]

Chuck Wurster, Vice President
RacerMate Inc.
Seattle, WA
Quote Reply
Re: Chuck Wurster, VP RacerMate/Computrainer, has passed away. [BryantHoward] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryantHoward wrote:
For those that would care to know about such things, I was just informed of the very sad news that Chuck Wurster passed away yesterday. I post this knowing the risk that some will take the opportunity to air their personal frustrations either with Chuck or the demise of Computrainer, but hopeful that more people will take the opportunity to consider the contributions he made to our sport and community over the years.

I met him more than 20 years ago and enjoyed every opportunity we had to share a meal and discuss his ideas about business and the sport of triathlon. His product was central to my coaching business over the years and he was personally responsible for several unique opportunities that I've had during my career. Throughout countless phone calls and lunches, either in Seattle or trade events, I found Chuck to to be a thoughtful and curious person always striving to find new ways to support athletes and coaches.

Chuck Wurster was, without question, a complicated man, but also a good man. I am grateful for all that he contributed to our sport and I am grateful to have called him a friend.

Bryant Howard

It is with a heavy heart that those of us here at RacerMate must tell you that we are closing the doors on CompuTrainer. Technology and competition from larger companies have both eaten into the marketplace. As a small company with the premier indoor trainer in terms of performance and durability, we have found ourselves in a place where we cannot continue. It has been a marvelous 40+ years and we have enjoyed sharing in the victories and friendships we have made along the way.†[signed]

RacerMate Inc.
Seattle, WA

i heard about this yesterday. he wasn't that complicated to me. he was one of the most gracious gentlemen it was my pleasure to know throughout my tenure in this business. i always sought him out at every trade show or anyplace where he and i were likely to both be in attendance. i got the sense that he wondered why i always bypassed others to see him. as in, why are you here? what do you need? what can i do? but it was always just to say hi to him, because he was just such a dear man.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Chuck Wurster, VP RacerMate/Computrainer, has passed away. [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
BryantHoward wrote:

Bryant Howard

RacerMate Inc.
Seattle, WA

i heard about this yesterday. he wasn't that complicated to me. he was one of the most gracious gentlemen it was my pleasure to know throughout my tenure in this business. i always sought him out at every trade show or anyplace where he and i were likely to both be in attendance. i got the sense that he wondered why i always bypassed others to see him. as in, why are you here? what do you need? what can i do? but it was always just to say hi to him, because he was just such a dear man.

Sounds like a very nice guy. While I enjoyed a few of his great trainers through the years, I never had the pleasure of meeting him. My loss it appears. RIP
Quote Reply
Re: Chuck Wurster, VP RacerMate/Computrainer, has passed away. [BryantHoward] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very sad news - I met Chuck back in the early 90's when he was coming to various triathlons around the county with his "new trainer". He was very supportive of Tri-Fed" and then USAT back in those days. All-around great guy, who would go out of his way to make sure athletes were pleased with his product. Hard to hear that guys Chuck's age are starting to pass. My thoughts and prayers go out to his friends and family. Z
Quote Reply
Re: Chuck Wurster, VP RacerMate/Computrainer, has passed away. [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
BryantHoward wrote:

Bryant Howard

RacerMate Inc.
Seattle, WA

That is really sad. I personally have benefited from all my miles on my CT. It's been really awesome for this guys stuck under a mountain of snow for many months per year. CT were way ahead of their time and then they fell behind as many innovative companies do. They basically invented the entire category of interactive indoor riding with quantitative measurement (power). Like most innovators, they create the market but once they create the market, its really hard when better financed followers take the market to the next level. They enter with new products, while you are stuck on your previous product's platform and associated inventory/support etc with a ton of capital tied into the legacy stuff. The new guys come with a blank sheet and no need to deploy capital on old stuff and leapfrog you. He's not the first guy who created a category and gave it away. I just need to look down the road at blackberry. Similar scenario for both.

Thanks Chuck and CT. I am certain that my unit from 2005 will last me another 10 years. I have no need to upgrade it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman, I wonder what emotional toll the closing of the doors had on him. I hope not. When you pour your heart and soul into something this transformative, it must be very painful to see the world move past to the next big thing and pass over your baby.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryantHoward wrote:
I post this knowing the risk that some will take the opportunity to air their personal frustrations either with Chuck or the demise of Computrainer

That is sad, because Computrainer blazed the trail for TrainerRoad, Zwift, and all the others. It was an eye-opener and revolution for me the first time I hopped on one at D3 in Boulder. It's the reason I got a KKRM and TR later, and them a KICKR and so on.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought my first Computrainer in 1995. It was the Nintendo DS version. I upgraded this unit to be PC based. It is still going strong.

I bought my wife a pre-owned unit a few years ago and 2 years ago bought a third as a spare, kids or friends to use, parts or whatever. As long as these units hold up and there is an acceptable software to run with them, I see no reason to stop using these. The hardware is built to last forever. (Although I admit Rouvy looks pretty cool, but there is no Computrainer support.)

My wife and I will ride our 23 and 15 year old computrainers tomorrow in his memory. Thank you Chuck.
Quote Reply
Re: Chuck Wurster, VP RacerMate/Computrainer, has passed away. [nickwisconsin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwisconsin wrote:
I bought my first Computrainer in 1995. It was the Nintendo DS version. I upgraded this unit to be PC based. It is still going strong.

I bought my wife a pre-owned unit a few years ago and 2 years ago bought a third as a spare, kids or friends to use, parts or whatever. As long as these units hold up and there is an acceptable software to run with them, I see no reason to stop using these. The hardware is built to last forever. (Although I admit Rouvy looks pretty cool, but there is no Computrainer support.)

My wife and I will ride our 23 and 15 year old computrainers tomorrow in his memory. Thank you Chuck.

My first was a Nintendo version as well! I'm on my second since those days, only because someone threw out parts and they gave me a killer deal on a new one that was my current. Bulletproof and made me also much better.

That's a GREAT idea to ride in his memory.....I think I'll join in, even though I just got off mine. Thanks for the inspiration!
Quote Reply
Re: Chuck Wurster, VP RacerMate/Computrainer, has passed away. [nickwisconsin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwisconsin wrote:

That is a wonderful idea and great tribute. Will dig my 15+ year old CT out of the attic and do same Christmas morning
Quote Reply
Re: Chuck Wurster, VP RacerMate/Computrainer, has passed away. [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SayHey Kid wrote:
nickwisconsin wrote:

That is a wonderful idea and great tribute. Will dig my 15+ year old CT out of the attic and do same Christmas morning

I'll join you on Xmas day for that CT ride. Seems like a great idea. I'll hopefully be on many more CT rides this winter as I used it to train for a France/Alps riding camp in June or July!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I remember him back from mid 90's when I got mine which still functions today with Zwift & Perfro..I always remember him as a nice, thougthful guy who knew his stuff and wanted to make things better. Then would see him at the various race expos and he was easy to talk to.

Barb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I often made fun of the Computrainer because it was a dinosaur with laughable software but the fact remains that the reason we have all these fancy ass smart trainers from Tacx and Wahoo is BECAUSE of the Computrainer. So I'm grateful for what Chuck and his company did. The influence will go on for decades.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Chuck Wurster, VP RacerMate/Computrainer, has passed away. [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow I'm sorry to hear this news. My wife was sponsored by him for many years and we use to work expo's for him and he'd pay us by giving us a computrainer as well. We frequently would visit him at his office in Seattle. He was a great man
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryant, thanks for posting this. I intended to, but forces conspired against me and I'm only now finally getting on here to post something. I'd received a call from Joe, who worked on the FloScan side, telling me Chuck was gravely ill and probably had a few days left, at best. He wanted me to dig around and contact some of the folks I knew to let them know. Two hours later Joe called me back to say Chuck had passed. It was truly a sad day. Because I had just moved, everything was in boxes, I had no access to anything I kept from my work there. I still haven't found that box of stuff, but today it dawned on me to post something here, at least. Was happy to see you beat me to it.

I knew Chuck from the time I was hired on at FloScan in 1979 at the age of 19. I interviewed with him. We traveled all over the place together. We rode on roller coasters together. He loved roller coasters. I was like one of his kids and saw the pain in his eyes the day he said CT was ending, as well as my job. The fact is... he couldn't get himself to say "We've got to let you go." He just couldn't say it. After about 15 minutes of him beating around the bush, saying CT was dead, suggesting I could maintain the support of it myself, if I was interested, I basically had to say "it" for him; and then decline the suggestion I could keep up with some level of support for CT from "my house."

I am convinced, beyond doubt, the fall of the businesses are directly related to Chuck's passing. Sure, there were other issues I learned about physically related to his passing, but Chuck ate, slept, and dreamed work. It was his life and living. I spent many hours with him away from work, but work was never far away from him. He was passionate about work. He spent hours on the phone making the product sound amazing to others - even when it was growing clearer by the day that it was doomed. Chuck was always optimistic that it would survive.

Rest in peace, Chuck.
Last edited by: ctguru: Jan 18, 19 0:09
Quote Reply
Re: Chuck Wurster, VP RacerMate/Computrainer, has passed away. [ctguru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ctguru wrote:
Bryant, thanks for posting this. I intended to, but forces conspired against me and I'm only now finally getting on here to post something. I'd received a call from Joe, who worked on the FloScan side, telling me Chuck was gravely ill and probably had a few days left, at best. He wanted me to dig around and contact some of the folks I knew to let them know. Two hours later Joe called me back to say Chuck had passed. It was truly a sad day. Because I had just moved, everything was in boxes, I had no access to anything I kept from my work there. I still haven't found that box of stuff, but today it dawned on me to post something here, at least. Was happy to see you beat me to it.

I knew Chuck from the time I was hired on at FloScan in 1979 at the age of 19. I interviewed with him. We traveled all over the place together. We rode on roller coasters together. He loved roller coasters. I was like one of his kids and saw the pain in his eyes the day he said CT was ending, as well as my job. The fact is... he couldn't get himself to say "We've got to let you go." He just couldn't say it. After about 15 minutes of him beating around the bush, saying CT was dead, suggesting I could maintain the support of it myself, if I was interested, I basically had to say "it" for him; and then decline the suggestion I could keep up with some level of support for CT from "my house."

I am convinced, beyond doubt, the fall of the businesses are directly related to Chuck's passing. Sure, there were other issues I learned about physically related to his passing, but Chuck ate, slept, and dreamed work. It was his life and living. I spent many hours with him away from work, but work was never far away from him. He was passionate about work. He spent hours on the phone making the product sound amazing to others - even when it was growing clearer by the day that it was doomed. Chuck was always optimistic that it would survive.

Rest in peace, Chuck.

Just bumping this one up!

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sincerest condolences and prayers to his family and friends for peace and comfort. We still use a CompuTrainer in our fit studio. I joke to customers that, long after we've destroyed ourselves in nuclear war or wiped out from an asteroid, aliens will arrive on Earth, survey the damage, and find CompuTrainers that still work.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Re: Chuck Wurster, VP RacerMate/Computrainer, has passed away. [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Waiting for someone to create new software for the ct regardless of who bougjt the company.
Quote Reply
Re: Chuck Wurster, VP RacerMate/Computrainer, has passed away. [Billyk24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billyk24 wrote:
Waiting for someone to create new software for the ct regardless of who bougjt the company.

If only someone would create some sort of adapter that we could plug-in on the CT controller in order to make it Ant+/Bluetooth whatever the new standard is currently pretty sure would sell a lot of them. You can find adapters for your TV that you plug-in the stereo jack that allow you to use Bluetooth Headphones... anyhow some engineer could potentially find an easy solution.

Guessing that an upgrade of the chipset controlling the CT would also be required.

I would pay up $150-200 to make my system compatible with the new technology... It would open more opportunity to connect to other apps.

For the moment, I use PerfPro and Zwift and still works but guessing in the future would be very limited to software compatibility.
Quote Reply
Re: Chuck Wurster, VP RacerMate/Computrainer, has passed away. [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:

That is really sad. I personally have benefited from all my miles on my CT. It's been really awesome for this guys stuck under a mountain of snow for many months per year. CT were way ahead of their time and then they fell behind as many innovative companies do. They basically invented the entire category of interactive indoor riding with quantitative measurement (power). Like most innovators, they create the market but once they create the market, its really hard when better financed followers take the market to the next level. They enter with new products, while you are stuck on your previous product's platform and associated inventory/support etc with a ton of capital tied into the legacy stuff. The new guys come with a blank sheet and no need to deploy capital on old stuff and leapfrog you. He's not the first guy who created a category and gave it away. I just need to look down the road at blackberry. Similar scenario for both.

Thanks Chuck and CT. I am certain that my unit from 2005 will last me another 10 years. I have no need to upgrade it.

I bought mine back in 2003, and had to get them to replace the load generator once, maybe back in 2010. I expect mine to last for quite some time as well. I haven't hooked it up to a computer in years...just using the handlebar controller and listening to music. Great company and customer service. I don't remember dealing with Chuck specifically, but I thank him for his contribution. R.I.P.
Quote Reply
Re: Chuck Wurster, VP RacerMate/Computrainer, has passed away. [MTL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MTL wrote:
Billyk24 wrote:

If only someone would create some sort of adapter that we could plug-in on the CT controller in order to make it Ant+/Bluetooth whatever the new standard is currently pretty sure would sell a lot of them. You can find adapters for your TV that you plug-in the stereo jack that allow you to use Bluetooth Headphones... anyhow some engineer could potentially find an easy solution.

I actually started that last winter and lost interest as cycling season and the rest of life got in the way. Some of the serial protocol has been reverse-engineered, but not all of it. My intent was to have an additional board that simply acted as a BTLE/ANT+ bridge to the serial protocol. Now that my CT load generator has pooped out, I may never get around to doing this.
Quote Reply