Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Re-post: what your goggles say about you [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
140triguy wrote:
The goggles literally split apart at the nose piece as we were being whistled up to the blocks. I had worn those to warm up in 5 minutes earlier with no issues. I drew the starter’s attention, showed him my goggles, and I walked over to my team area to find another pair. My coaches were so F-ing pissed. Once the race actually started, it was a giant cock-up. I swam horribly and barely got 16th place, good enough for 1 point. My concentration was definitely shot, but other circumstances also contributed. We’d had a teammate die the previous summer, and I was still a roiling ball of emotions at the meet, 7 months later (this was March, 1992).

Since that day, I’ve taken a second pair to the blocks for EVERY SINGLE RACE in a pool, college and masters. NCAA 1993 and 1994. FINA World Masters in 2006. US Masters nationals 2015 in San Antonio. Even last weekend at a local 1500 scm meet, I tossed a spare pair under the block next to the pool JIC. It’s my ritual. Even at OWS and some tri races, I’ll have the spare tucked into the waistband until the race starts and either toss the spares at the shore or hand off to a Sherpa.

Wow, sorry for the bad race. I guess you're totally covered now by taking two pair every race now though. :)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
140triguy wrote:

If you look at videos of the 1984 Olympics you'll see that almost everyone wore Hind Compy, while a look at the 1988 Games shows that at least 50% of the swimmers wore Swedish. By 1988, probably every single guy on my club team wore a pair of Swedish goggles.

TBH, I didn't wear those much in HS or college. I stuck to mostly the Speedo Sprint and the Hind Compy. I had one pair of Swedish goggles fall apart on me right before the mile final at NCAA's my sophomore year in 1992. I wrapped up my college career wearing Hind Compy. I still have 2 pairs of those, but those aren't being made anymore, so I am holding to those.

I've mostly worn Hind Compy and Swedish since about 2006, with variations of the Swedish (Montebara, Tyr Socket Rockets, arena Swedix) being all that I wear now. .

I still wear Hind goggles but Hind is now GH Sports and they have changed the goggle and they really aren’t made by them anymore. Not as good as the original Hind. Hind was the inventor of the waterpolo caps.

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Re: Re-post: what your goggles say about you [Sikedsyko] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wore those for a while till i got the speed sockets (because michael phelps wore them). Tried a couple other pairs since and nothing quite works the same.
Quote Reply
Re: Re-post: what your goggles say about you [SLOgoing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Water Gear made the Hind Compy. However, the company president has health issues and Water Gear is going out of business. It’s the end of the line for the Hind Compy, which went through several iterations, made by Hind, Speedo, and finally WG.

Buy yours now or those are gone forever.
Last edited by: 140triguy: Dec 13, 18 7:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used the water gear compys before swedes, and currently in the swedix. In my opinion, the forward vision of the swedix is a significant improvement over the original swedes. The padded rubber gasket isn't that big of a deal to me, I actually prefer no gasket because they will mold after a period of time. However, forward vision is a must, and I have noticed it in the pool and open water events (now I didn't do macinaw island or chesapeake, etc, nor swim with ex-olympians), but the forward vision was noticeable for me in both the pool and open water (helps with not so pronounced of a "crocodile-peek" to sight, murky or not murky). The perfect goggle for me would be a swedix style with no gasket, but replace with a nootca lens (I think nootca is out of business though).

I like wearing the goggles with the string/tube, but one single strap around the head, and I cut about 1 inch below the side holes. I've found this method to be the most comfortable and stable for me. I think the most comfortable would be a single strap around the head, with a strap for the nose piece, but I like the string. For racing however, I'll go with the bungee and jack it down tight.

I'm going to see if I still have all those pairs of compys (some are lightly used, some are new). If I do, hell, I'll just give em to you if you want. Its the ones with the light-green band correct?
Quote Reply
Re: Re-post: what your goggles say about you [MikenUltra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man, I do love all the love for Hind Compy's (etc) on this forum. I think my friend Carly Piper was probably the last Olympic Gold medalist wearing them in Athens 2004, haha

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Re: Re-post: what your goggles say about you [tallswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome picture of Compy goggles! I recall that Chris Jacobs (1988), Summer Sanders (1992), Nicole Haislet (92), Whitney Hedgepeth (96), and Tripp Schwenk (96) wore those in Olympic finals.
Quote Reply
Re: Re-post: what your goggles say about you [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, you guys convinced me. I always thought they were a little weird, but I figured what the heck and got a pair of swedes to try tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Re: Re-post: what your goggles say about you [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I brought back the Vanquishers to life this evening...After 30 minutes, I had to take them off, my eyeballs were about to pop out !!
What a comforting feeling it was to change back to the Kayennes...
Is there such a thing in swimming for eye sockets, as in cycling for butts ( like we finally get used to it after thousands of hours) ? Cause now I don't think I'm fit for ''inner eye'' goggles...

Louis :-)
Last edited by: louisn: Dec 13, 18 18:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're never gonna go back.
Quote Reply
Re: Re-post: what your goggles say about you [louisn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I never felt that vanquishers are an inner eye kind of goggle, but in general when i switched to speed sockets there was definitely an adjustment period. I prefer that style of goggle now
Quote Reply
Re: Re-post: what your goggles say about you [ripple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have horrific vision and wear contacts while swimming, so losing my goggles in open water isn't really an option. How well do they seal and stay on in that situation? Really my only concern with them at this point
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally I don't feel they're any worse than any other goggle. Getting hit in the face is a crapshoot. If your goggles come off it has more to do with the strike than the goggle. I wear them for everything. I once tried a non swede for a tri and hated it. The clarity was awesome, but I bought a few new pairs of swedes and the clarity was impeccable with the new ones. They do get scratched up easily but I think that's more because we tend to beat the crap out of them. After all they cost $3.50.

Good luck.. I'm partial to them, but you've got to go with what works for you. If they're comfy, give them a fair chance in OWS or tri. How many times have you actually taken a shot to the eye socket?
Quote Reply
Re: Re-post: what your goggles say about you [ripple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not super concerned about actually getting hit in the face. Benefits of usually being at the pointy end of the swim :D My biggest concern is that I heard they're more likely to come off when diving and such. Guess I'll find out
Quote Reply

Prev Next