Quote | Reply
Pedialyte.

infinite, are you listening?

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: How pro (American) football players hydrate [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Never thought of that for workouts, mainly because I have my hydration fairly dialed, but I use EFS because of its high sodium and magnesium, which works for me. Seems Pedialyte could work in a pinch for sure.

Only thing for me would be it's a bit strong straight out of the bottle, need to cut it, but that dilutes it.

Might be something to test in the offseason as it's easier to get a hold of than my EFS if I don't pay attention and run out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I seem to recall rumors that the Patriots and UConn women's basketball team both use flavorless UCAN in their water bottles.
Quote Reply
Re: How pro (American) football players hydrate [TriFluid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think they also get IVs in the locker room.
Quote Reply
Re: How pro (American) football players hydrate [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They also run for 10 seconds...then stop and take a break. Then run for 10 seconds..then stop and take a break.

Can't really compare the hydration needs of football vs triathlon.

Phil Mickelson surely isnt putting electrolytes in his golf bag either...
Quote Reply
Re: How pro (American) football players hydrate [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
G-man wrote:
I think they also get IVs in the locker room.

That's not hydration, though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We used Pedialyte in the Army all the time. One thing that most of these "boutique" companies don't have is distribution channels. Sure, some can drop ship pretty fast, but nothing beats the ability to grab powder or bottles at Target.

A lot of colleges have palettes of Gatorade/Powerade just sitting in a warehouse to be distributed to different teams by trainers. Pedialyte also. It is a preferred method of oral-rehydration.

Also...nothing beats pedialyte when you're coming out both ends and you're sicker than a dog with rabies.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They’ve been using it for years

I also noticed Russel Wilson of Seattle using a Meurten Gel on the sidelines a few weeks ago

Boots
Fleet Feet Rochester, NY
Fleet Feet Buffalo, NY
YellowJacket Racing, Rochester, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I drink a bottle of Pedialyte a day for 4-5 days leading up to race day as well as sipping on it race morning. Easier to drink when it's diluded a little bit as well.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: How pro (American) football players hydrate [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
I drink a bottle of Pedialyte a day for 4-5 days leading up to race day as well as sipping on it race morning. Easier to drink when it's diluded a little bit as well.

How much does that bottle cost?

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I drink the generic Kroger brand ones, so $3 a bottle max and they usually have coupons in the app to make it cheaper. Same stuff as the name brand.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry man, I'm staying away from whatever the Giants are drinking.
Quote Reply
Re: How pro (American) football players hydrate [Twinkie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They also run for 10 seconds...then stop and take a break. Then run for 10 seconds..then stop and take a break
---

...Then they hit the oxygen tank for a few pulls...

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: How pro (American) football players hydrate [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Easier to drink when it's diluded a little bit as well
---

Like this? "You're not a children's drink, you're a real sports drink. Yes you are! And don't let anyone tell you differently."

Quote Reply
Re: How pro (American) football players hydrate [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s a known hangover aide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
They also run for 10 seconds...then stop and take a break. Then run for 10 seconds..then stop and take a break
---

I don't recall if I have ever heard of a triathlete being hospitalized much less dying from heat related issues during training. Yet that seems to happens with some regularity in football . . . .

Maybe they are working a little harder than you think.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They have employees spray liquid from bottles into their mouths because doing so themselves would be far too taxing...
Quote Reply
Re: How pro (American) football players hydrate [STP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, that escalated quickly.

I was piqued by your post and found out that 30 ncaa fb-ers have died due to heat related reasons since 2000. That's horrible. I'm guessing that the opportunity to find similar statistics on triathletes in training would be a lot more complicated but no more tragic. Regardless, I'm still jealous of the opportunity to take a few pulls off the oxygen tank when I get done with a hard interval.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
STP wrote:
Quote:
---

I don't recall if I have ever heard of a triathlete being hospitalized much less dying from heat related issues during training. Yet that seems to happens with some regularity in football . . . .

Maybe they are working a little harder than you think.

That is part of it. However part of it is probably that their anatomy and physiology isn’t built as well to handle heat as well as a trained endurance athlete

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
Wow, that escalated quickly.

I was piqued by your post and found out that 30 ncaa fb-ers have died due to heat related reasons since 2000. That's horrible. I'm guessing that the opportunity to find similar statistics on triathletes in training would be a lot more complicated but no more tragic. Regardless, I'm still jealous of the opportunity to take a few pulls off the oxygen tank when I get done with a hard interval.

Heat Stroke takes anyone, anytime, anywhere. I always relate things to the Army...because shit why not. I was at Jungle Warfare School in 2009 with the French Military Academy, the PT stud of the Battalion bore the title: The Bull. Simon was his name, he was fast, fit, and strong...dropped like a fly, I remember this specifically because an hour later I collapsed and they shipped us to Kourou for blood tests.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can buy a can of boost oxygen and keep it in your training bag or even bring it with you on the bike. It’s 95% O2
Quote Reply
Re: How pro (American) football players hydrate [Gonefishin5555] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was thinking about this:

Quote Reply
Re: How pro (American) football players hydrate [FF Boots] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FF Boots wrote:
They’ve been using it for years

I also noticed Russel Wilson of Seattle using a Meurten Gel on the sidelines a few weeks ago

I don't think Russell Wilson is the guy you want to follow for this kind of stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Or triathletes are more fit..

Dying from heat can/can not have anything to do with dehydration. I can be super hydrated but if its 130 degrees outside and my body can't cool fast enough - no matter how much water I have in my body and how much I sweat - I can still die.

Anyway - null point. I was just making fun of football players because - Id rather watch womens curling haha
Quote Reply
Re: How pro (American) football players hydrate [Twinkie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Twinkie wrote:
Phil Mickelson surely isnt putting electrolytes in his golf bag either...

I've been a course marshal at several PGA tournaments and they ALL use electrolyte-laced hydration. Some are even sponsored by Nuun.

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply

Prev Next