Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Strava Broke Swim Lap Parsing
Quote | Reply
Has anyone else experienced a problem with Strava failing to parse and load swim lap data correctly? I like to review my swim sets on Strava, because it does a good job of showing my interval split times in a simple view. However, Strava broke its swim lap data parsing in early October (at least for me and my Garmin 735XT). I emailed Strava support, and Strava responded that this is a known issue without a timeframe to fix it.

I am kind of surprised that there is no broader outcry, unless it is a localized thing that is only affecting a small number of people.
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Broke Swim Lap Parsing [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't remember the last time I looked at my swim data in Strava if ever, but yesterday's swim is clearly not represented properly. I only have one interval listed. It is correct in Garmin though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Strava always sucked for viewing swimming data. I feel like that was more of a secondary addition behind cycling and running.

Garmin Connect does a good job at breaking it apart for me. Especially the graphical view.

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Broke Swim Lap Parsing [AlyraD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlyraD wrote:
Strava always sucked for viewing swimming data. I feel like that was more of a secondary addition behind cycling and running.

Garmin Connect does a good job at breaking it apart for me. Especially the graphical view.

Same here. Training peaks and Strava have both always sucked. Neither parses anything other than lap times, such as stroke rate, strokes per length, or swolf (for those that care).

I only ever bother to look at swim set details in GC, but I like the tabular view (except for the fact that I can't resize the stupid thing). TP just collects the training load.

Strava is just there to impress my single-sport friends and collect Kudos.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Dec 13, 18 7:09
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Broke Swim Lap Parsing [AlyraD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AlyraD wrote:

I am the opposite. Strava is just a simple table with 1 row per interval and a few easy columns to quickly see times per interval. I like to see if I was able to maintain my pace or if I was fading or irregular during my workout. Garmin Connect, by contrast, totally sucks. The graphical view do not provide easy-to-see detail at the interval level, and the Intervals table has two rows per interval and is so wide that you cannot see all of the most relevant data in one glance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My swim from this morning seems to have loaded into Strava correctly. I have a 920xt.
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Broke Swim Lap Parsing [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yesterday I started my swim workout with 11x100yd intervals, then 4x300yds. Strava shows ONLY the final four 300yd sets, but correctly says the first 300 starts with lap 23. But as someone else said, I never look at swim data in Strava, and I do pass everything over to TrainingPeaks, but swim data is just for a rough guess at TSS. SportTracks has the hands-down best swimming analysis tools, and is my go-to for swim workout tracking.

I'm closer to the feathered end of the spear than the point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it might be a 735xt issue. I have the same problem...no interval data on Strava. I sent them a note and got the same response you did...it’s annoying since my other Strava friends get their interval data using different watches.
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Broke Swim Lap Parsing [JoelO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Garmin fenix 5x plus and have noticed the same Strava swim lap (Iess) issue. Added Strava gripe - treadmill run total time comes across to Strava as run elapsed time, screws up overall Strava run pace. (i.e. if I pause for whatever reason on the Garmin then restart that time gets added into the Strava 'elapsed' time.)

tinman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For whatever reason, yesterday my swim showed up on GC with no data instead of the usual interval and lap graphs.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes. Garmin Connect is fine, but Strava only shows a few random sets.....ever. Using a Forerunner 645 so apparently not only a 735 issue.

I wanna go fast!
Last edited by: ironmanatee: Dec 13, 18 14:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has anyone solved this? I have the same problem with my new Fenix 5. Two days ago on my old Fenix 3 worked fine
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Broke Swim Lap Parsing [anakinpm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is the response I received 3/8 from Strava on a ticket I had submitted in January.

Strava us blaming Garmin change on this. Interesting that your F3 worked but your F5 did not. That may imply that a watch firmware update on the F5 really did kill it.
Quote:
I hope you're doing well. We're still working with Garmin to resolve this issue. Because I don't have a timeline for resolution, it will be best to close this ticket for now.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Best,
Strava Support Team
And here is Strava's original reply to my January ticket:
Quote:
Sorry for the problems with your swim data. It appears there have been some recent changes to Garmin swim file data and we're not able to parse that data correctly. We're investigating and hope to be able to properly parse the data in the near future. Thanks in advance for your patience.

Regards,
Strava Support Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your reply. It's so strange! I'm running the last software and this still happens on a high end watch...

I'm sure it's something on Strava's end. Laps are perfectly displayed on other platforms connected to Garmin Connect such as SpeedoOn or Runanalyze.

I've tried to upload manually both tcx and fit files and it only still shows 2 of the 10 intervals I did. I liked the accessibility to summarized information on Strava...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's been happening since I think October with my 935 swim data. My support ticket from December-ish was also closed with the equivalent of a shrug, we dunno as a reply.

It's not broken on any other service I use, so it's got to be some kind of Strava issue I would think!
Quote Reply
Re: Strava Broke Swim Lap Parsing [ejules] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This all started happening to me when I went to the 935 from the 910. I assumed it had something to do with the watch.

My data looks totally fine with GC. If I upload the .tcx file into TP or Strava, it is all jacked up.

Strava seems to have the total time and distance correct, but nothing close to the intervals.

In TP, it's the time that seems to be way off, but you can correct it......

I haven't swum with the 910 this year, maybe I will try it and see if it does the same thing.
Quote Reply