Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Drop in heart rate during running
Quote | Reply
Dear readers,

I am a beginning to train train for my first triathlon. My height is 168cm and weight is 62 kg. I regularly run 5km under 20 min. However, during each training and/or race my heart rate drops after 15 min (consistently) from 165+ to around 120. I do finish my trainngs and races. I have no symptoms shortness of breath, chestpains, dizy or other cardiac symptoms

My hometrainer trainings consist of 1 hour trainings at around 160 to 180 watt. My heart rate does not drop below 160. I have no medical conditions (that I am aware of) and am a healthy 28 year old male.

Do other people have similar experiences?

kind regards,
Quote Reply
Re: Drop in heart rate during running [Supernoob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems highly unlikely that your heart rate is actually decreasing, much less that much -- so it must be your HRM is faulty. Are you using a wrist based or chest strap or other? Wrist based are more finicky -- especially for running -- so that may be it.
Quote Reply
Re: Drop in heart rate during running [hugoagogo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for your reply. This does not happen when I run slower but longer (10km in 42 to 45 minutes). My heart rate does rise if I stop for a few minutes and resume. Can one’s heart rate vary that much ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was having slight drops in my Heart rate, mine are less than a minute and occur during running and cycling (no idea if they occur during swimming). First I thought that it was just a blip in my data from the strap, but I have seen it consistently across multiple straps and devices. I scheduled a 24 hour holter monitor with my doctor, and as soon as I did that I found my problem. A vagal response to burping. I do not see it coughing, swallowing or any other time, just a burp.

Depending on what you training is, you may want to consider a Holter.

If you have an image o the HR or a link to your strava there could be clues there. Some artifacts are obvious even there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you used a wrist-based HR monitor? I have found the HR is extremely erratic, and I always use a chest strap, which is much more consistent. I wouldn't expect such a drastic drop in HR over a workout as you are referring to. Sometimes my HR will drop by a few beats during an easy bike or run, but not by more than 3-4 bpm at the same intensity.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Drop in heart rate during running [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank your for your responses. I have a TomTom Cardio spark 3 wrist band. I have (manually) also estimated my heart rate and it seemed acurate.
In the attachment one can see what I mean. My pace is constant between 3:55 to 4:00 min/km
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Supernoob wrote:
Thank your for your responses. I have a TomTom Cardio spark 3 wrist band. I have (manually) also estimated my heart rate and it seemed acurate.
In the attachment one can see what I mean. My pace is constant between 3:55 to 4:00 min/km

How do you check your heart rate manually while running?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you will likely get more consistent HR info with an HRM strap that is compatible with your TomTom like a Wahoo Tickr -- especially when running.
Quote Reply