Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: I probably really want a disc for the “womp womp womp” [iron snorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron snorks wrote:
All discs womp womp womp but you cant always hear it as you're in front of it. The only time I really hear womp womp womp is when I'm on an ascent.
The conventional wisdom is that only solid core disc wheels whomp-whomp. Spoked disc wheels do not whomp. I have a HED disc. No whomp for me.
Quote Reply
Re: I probably really want a disc for the “womp womp womp” [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Chinese disc that has a pretty loud whomp that echoes in my aero helmet. The trispoke on the front makes cool sounds too. It's really motivating!

Train hard to Race harder

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift" - Pre
Quote Reply
Re: I probably really want a disc for the “womp womp womp” [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That’s a good point and correct actually.

I forgot about those.
Quote Reply
Re: I probably really want a disc for the “womp womp womp” [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve got a 10 sad Zipp Sub 9 disc I can sell you very cheap. It has a crack in the carbon but works fine and will give you the “whomp whomp womp” you’re after!!

PM me if you’re interested
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Renn 555 whomps like a champ. I'm intentionally a crap swimmer so I can have fun when I pass riders and they think they have Blue Thunder on their six. Sometimes I add a bit of low pitched "vvvvvvvvvv" from my mouth and it sounds like a pod racer from Phantom Menace.

These things matter.
Quote Reply
Re: I probably really want a disc for the “womp womp womp” [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why anyone would want their equipment causing road noise makes no sense to me. I dislike noise from a disc, free hubs, and aero helmet. I want the least amount of external noise approaching intersections and also in races where people are passing closely.

Also, why not buy an Aerojacket wheel cover? It’s just as aero dynamic as a disc, lighter, and a fraction of the cost at less than $100. Plus it doesn’t make distracting repetitive noise.
Quote Reply
Re: I probably really want a disc for the “womp womp womp” [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
Why anyone would want their equipment causing road noise makes no sense to me. I dislike noise from a disc, free hubs, and aero helmet. I want the least amount of external noise approaching intersections and also in races where people are passing closely.

Also, why not buy an Aerojacket wheel cover? It’s just as aero dynamic as a disc, lighter, and a fraction of the cost at less than $100. Plus it doesn’t make distracting repetitive noise.

You're bring the party to this thread! With your disdain for fun, frivolity, and actuarial passion for cost-effectiveness.
Quote Reply
Re: I probably really want a disc for the “womp womp womp” [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:
My Renn 555 whomps like a champ. I'm intentionally a crap swimmer so I can have fun when I pass riders and they think they have Blue Thunder on their six. Sometimes I add a bit of low pitched "vvvvvvvvvv" from my mouth and it sounds like a pod racer from Phantom Menace.

These things matter.

Quoted for awesomeness.

Disc acquired.

Now, those pesky yaw angle drag numbers. How fast is fast enough to pay more attention to the left half of the table. Seems a lot of people look at pretty steep numbers. Remember that tunnel yaw is a resultant vector.

Real world is two vectors you have to do the math on to get that angle.

Kind of trying to justify not buying a more expensive used firecrest vs other alternatives.

I think the resultant vector for yaw in the real world is likely a lot less than we think when looking at those charts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:

These things matter.

Now just hang a set of truck nuts behind your saddle to give them an awesome view as you pull away in to the distance.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: I probably really want a disc for the “womp womp womp” [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If only someone came up with airfoil shaped nuts. Triathletes would be all over them.

mck414 wrote:
knighty76 wrote:
These things matter.

Now just hang a set of truck nuts behind your saddle to give them an awesome view as you pull away in to the distance.

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
knighty76 wrote:

These things matter.

Quoted for awesomeness.

Disc acquired.

Now, those pesky yaw angle drag numbers. How fast is fast enough to pay more attention to the left half of the table. Seems a lot of people look at pretty steep numbers. Remember that tunnel yaw is a resultant vector.

Real world is two vectors you have to do the math on to get that angle.

Kind of trying to justify not buying a more expensive used firecrest vs other alternatives.

I think the resultant vector for yaw in the real world is likely a lot less than we think when looking at those charts.
If the yaw angle on race day is too low to best take advantage of your disc wheel, you can reduce speed so that the resultant angle is larger. This, combined with your lower airspeed will significantly reduce drag. You're welcome!
Quote Reply
Re: I probably really want a disc for the “womp womp womp” [trailerhouse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trailerhouse wrote:
If only someone came up with airfoil shaped nuts. Triathletes would be all over them.

Ride in aero long enough and, if you're a dude, yours will get there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zipp 900 is definitely a whomper; flat honeycomb & carbon sandwich. You might get a 10sp pre-dimple one for reasonable money.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: I probably really want a disc for the “womp womp womp” [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
An absolutely outstanding Bike Nutz commercial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P29ZwHV8EE
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
knighty76 wrote:

These things matter.

Quoted for awesomeness.

Disc acquired.

Wich one ?

LOuis :-)
Quote Reply

Prev Next