Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
I probably really want a disc for the “womp womp womp”
Quote | Reply
I’m the guy building up the $250 Felt TT bike.

So budget still rules.

I have 50mm roadie wheels I swap to ride it. Old Giants in a vee shape. Not what I’d race TT on.

For “getting after it”, was thinking disc cover. But keep feeling that if a used 10spd real disc is $350 I’d prefer that.

And train on it also. I feel lame on a budget build blowing extra money just so I don’t have to swap wheels all the time.

But man, that look and that sound of a real disc.

And I’m lazy having to constantly swap wheels between two rigs.

So, is the $250 more than a cover worth the convenience and the performance?

I’d ride the disc to train. But not the cover.

So, womp womp womp, or not?
Quote Reply
Re: I probably really want a disc for the “womp womp womp” [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think only the zipp disc makes the womp womp. My HED does not.
Quote Reply
Re: I probably really want a disc for the “womp womp womp” [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tire setup might impact it to some degree, too... even ancient wheels with single-wall box section rims can get some road hum if a really supple tire setup is being used. I'm not very familiar with manipulating that womp-womp sound, though.
Last edited by: HTupolev: Dec 10, 18 14:53
Quote Reply
Re: I probably really want a disc for the “womp womp womp” [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
I think only the zipp disc makes the womp womp. My HED does not.

correct.. no womp womp with HED
Quote Reply
Re: I probably really want a disc for the “womp womp womp” [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting-the fact the Zipp makes a noise would suggest to me it's not aero and is disrupting the air and causing drag compared to a quiet disc? Drag makes noise.
Quote Reply
Re: I probably really want a disc for the “womp womp womp” [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would love to see a company use sound as part of thier marketing campaign.

Like coming out with a patented sound like Harley or Ducati

Claiming that thier disc makes 20% more noise than other leading brands with the same tyre set ups

Ads with Blummenveldt riding on a stormy day along Norwegian scenery ... references to gods.... the sound of shredding lighting and deep rolling thunder every time he passes the camera

Yeah, I had a bike accident so too much time to post
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a guy I went by early this weekend on the bike in a du & he said afterwards (when he won), that there was nothing like the sound of the "womp womp womp" of a disc going by to motivate someone to bike harder. I have a Zipp 900--so I haven't heard another brand make that sound actually. Oh, and this same guy passed me back/ kicked my arse happens to be on this forum too! He also is the reigning US OA Du Champ...Too bad SOUND doesn't win races!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Renn probably has the cheapest good whomp-whomp disc.

It is common knowledge that a good whomp-whomp disc makes competitors soil their shorts when you pass.
Quote Reply
Re: I probably really want a disc for the “womp womp womp” [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lol, the sound is totally tongue in cheek fun here. I realize it’s a silly thing.

Mostly it’s the convenience of leaving it setup how I want, and learning to ride the disc in wind.

I couldn’t ride the cover all the time. I’d probably eventually mess it up swapping the wheel back to the road bike.

It’d suck to lose time because I’m not comfortable going 11/10ths for a tenner with a cover I rarely use. Versus even an older tech disc I do have practice riding.
Quote Reply
Re: I probably really want a disc for the “womp womp womp” [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Isn't the HED basically a permanent disc cover over a spoked wheel? Hence the no womp womp
Quote Reply
Re: I probably really want a disc for the “womp womp womp” [KG6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thats my understanding...a disc wheel cover does not make the sound and a HED is basically that, so no sound. I have a Renn and you can hear it coming!
Quote Reply
Re: I probably really want a disc for the “womp womp womp” [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
Interesting-the fact the Zipp makes a noise would suggest to me it's not aero and is disrupting the air and causing drag compared to a quiet disc? Drag makes noise.
Not all noise happens because of avoidable drag sources. Some things are loud because they don't damp vibrations that are there anyway. (A major example being the hum of slick tires. The riding surface beats the contact patch like a drum, and fast supple tires can transmit that to the air as sound, while slow beefy tires tend to damp it and roll silently.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not that silly, that sound is fun and fun is never overrated

If you're using it for training too, there are some deep wheels that make noise, though not sure about details or pricing

Second hand could be the way to go for budget since discs are raceday tech many get sold after only a few uses before dusting up.
Last edited by: lacticturkey: Dec 10, 18 15:50
Quote Reply
Re: I probably really want a disc for the “womp womp womp” [lacticturkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lacticturkey wrote:
I would love to see a company use sound as part of thier marketing campaign.
Chris King hubs are known for their sound. People even take some grease off the freewheel to ''tune it'' a little louder :-).

Burnthesheep, go for an older Zipp 900, lots of them on the net.
A few are really cheap and need carbon work, you have the skills to complete a super bargain setup ;-) ...

Louis :-)
Quote Reply
Re: I probably really want a disc for the “womp womp womp” [louisn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah yeah, there was a guy on the Sunday ride that had a freewheel that was basically the grown up version of riding a bmx with a card on the spokes..... Kind of alerted everyone that he had stopped pedalling, then he'd pedal backwards slightly to play with the noise... The kind of thing that grates when you're getting hypo😆
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get a HED trispoke for the front and you go whomp, whomp, whomp in back and then add a helicopter-like chomp, chomp, chomp from the front!

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: I probably really want a disc for the “womp womp womp” [KG6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KG6 wrote:
Quote:

Isn't the HED basically a permanent disc cover over a spoked wheel? Hence the no womp womp

My HED disc doesn't have spokes. It's roughly a quarter inch thick carbon/foam sandwich on each side. All empty, but no womp womp.
Quote Reply
Re: I probably really want a disc for the “womp womp womp” [Runorama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Send it back. It’s obviously defective.
Quote Reply
Re: I probably really want a disc for the “womp womp womp” [Runorama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a spoked wheel with a carbon cover and foam to prevent rattling. No disc is completely hollow, the walls would buckle the first time you hit a bump, if not earlier.
Quote Reply
Re: I probably really want a disc for the “womp womp womp” [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Renn probably has the cheapest good whomp-whomp disc.

It is common knowledge that a good whomp-whomp disc makes competitors soil their shorts when you pass.

I bought a used Renn disc from ST classifieds for $300 if I remember correctly, been a number of years now. Turned out it was defective as it sounded more like wimp-wimp-wimp when full-on pedaling. Better than nothing I guess.
Quote Reply
Re: I probably really want a disc for the “womp womp womp” [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
It's a spoked wheel with a carbon cover and foam to prevent rattling. No disc is completely hollow, the walls would buckle the first time you hit a bump, if not earlier.

Don't know what to tell you, but mine's right in front of me and it is absolutely hollow. I remember checking it out the first time I glued the tubs. Not a single nipple. Shone a light through. No spokes. It's a circa 2000 650c.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I jave a FFWD disc and i don't think it makes any noise, the tri spoke front is loud though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All discs womp womp womp but you cant always hear it as you're in front of it. The only time I really hear womp womp womp is when I'm on an ascent.
Quote Reply
Re: I probably really want a disc for the “womp womp womp” [TriguyBlue] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriguyBlue wrote:
I jave a FFWD disc and i don't think it makes any noise, the tri spoke front is loud though.
cue to around 1:41 on here and that looks like a FFWD whoompin?

https://www.youtube.com/...uu67aZt&index=30
Quote Reply
Re: I probably really want a disc for the “womp womp womp” [TriguyBlue] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The more watts, the bigger the sound ;-) ....

No spokes, and alloy rim on campagnolo Ghibli :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3f2qcqns9s

Louis :-)
Last edited by: louisn: Dec 11, 18 18:08
Quote Reply

Prev Next