Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swim Fins
Quote | Reply
Are swim fins a good training aid?

If so, what type would be best (short blade, long, etc.)?
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Fins [kaaite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kaaite wrote:
Are swim fins a good training aid?

If so, what type would be best (short blade, long, etc.)?

My coach said to get Short fins for any "swim w/fins" work. He suggested long blade fins for pure kicking, since I have runner's ankles. He also said get plain rubber fins, not those foamy floaty types.

Key point is to make sure that your big toe does NOT protrude through the opening. A hair loose is better than your toe sticking out. The speedo version did NOT fit me. I wear an 11 4E running shoe. The Speedo 9-11 fin was too small, and the 11-13 was made for a giant. YMMV. Because of this, I strongly recommend trying on in a store. I tried the Amazon route first. I bought the Speedos in both sizes...and returned both.

I use the Swim Stuff short fins, I sized up from my running shoe. They are just slightly loose, bit stay put when pushing off. Bought these locally.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Fins [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah. Try before you buy.
I've gone through 3 or 4 pairs before getting any that don't hurt or give me foot cramp after 20yards.
(Wide foot across the ball of the foot)

I ended up with finis floating fins. Quite long. But the foot pocket was the softest I've tried so more comfy.

I use them for alignment drills (side kicking, Unco drill etc) more than for pure 'improve kicking per se' .

Swim Smooth info points at fins being THE most useful tool for training.
Last edited by: BobAjobb: Dec 11, 18 14:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No question about it.

These
DMC Elite fins

https://effortlessswimming.myshopify.com/products/dmc-elite-swim-fins/

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I only use them for warm up - which for me is about 400 yards or so. They help loosen the ankles, and they take a lot of load off the arms during warmup. I do not drill with them but there is nothing wrong with doing it. I use long fins.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My opinion, short fins are better. I've used bodyboard fins for 20 years but switched to a slightly shorter swim training specific fin.

about 2 years ago I saw how many elite swimmers had adopted the Arena Powerfin pro and got a pair...

They are plenty stiff/powerful and a bit heavy which helps you work on the up kick. I use them quite a bit, even on some distance freestyle sets. The idea is to keep the kick nice and compact and they do a good job with that.

The Arena and DMC are pretty similar but I dont think the DMC are as heavy.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Last edited by: realAB: Dec 11, 18 17:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a pair of Zoomers that are 20+ years old and are great. In the meantime, they appear to have been bought by Finis. See: https://www.swimoutlet.com/...gold-swim-fins-1267/

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Size 4E?! I'm a 9.5 4E and have been searching for my next favorite shoe. Have been running in Saucony Ride 7 and 8 for years as the 9,10 and ISO were all too narrow. New balance Zante and 1400 wide were both too small. What do you run in?
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Fins [BuildingSpeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to run in New balance, but I switched to asics gt1000 a couple of years ago.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Swim Fins [Traphaus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the input.

I had never used fins before and tried a pair at the Y last week and could not believe how much of a difference they made. Not only in speed but in keeping my legs, ankles and feet in proper position. There is still hope I may become an average swimmer.

Will pick up a pair this week.
Quote Reply