Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swimming progress equivalent to what run pace or watts gain on bike?
Quote | Reply
Just curious,

Wanted to get a sense of what shaving 1sec/100yd or 1min/HIM swim "feels" like in terms of running or biking.
Is 1sec/100yd = 10sec/mi or even 1min/mi improvement on the run? what would be a good comparison w/kg on the bike?
Nothing scientific (unless there is a way), just wanted to see what others thought of this.

My goal for 2019 is to go sub 30min/HIM or 1hr/IM (59:59) on the swim. (Still have a ton of work to do with a 1:32/100yd, 1:07 IM swim.)

thxs!
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming progress equivalent to what run pace or watts gain on bike? [Tritops] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't remember where I found this formula, but here it is...for whatever its worth:

1:09 / 100y = 6min/mile
Add 9 secs per 100y per min/mile.

So,

1:18 = 7 min/mile
1:27 = 8 min/mile
1:35 = 9 min/mile
1:44 = 10 min/mile

It seems a tad aggressive to me. But, I didn't make it up.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming progress equivalent to what run pace or watts gain on bike? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
I don't remember where I found this formula, but here it is...for whatever its worth:

So,

Wrong. When you compare world record times for run/swim, it's a 4:1 ratio . So 1:30 100m swim is same time on 400m track. So about 6:00/mile pace
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming progress equivalent to what run pace or watts gain on bike? [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are we talking paces for one mile / one 100 or that pace over longer distances... If we're going to debate this into the weeds we need to clarify our benchmarks.

...or are we talking about the effort needed to improve 10 seconds per 100yds over the entire course of a swim vs 10 seconds per mile over the entire course of a run....

Both of which are so specific to the individual, I'd rather argue how big is a rock.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming progress equivalent to what run pace or watts gain on bike? [Per] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was thinking of effort over long distance.
To improve say 1sec/100yd for a IM swim distance (roughly 38-40 seconds), would that be like running a marathon 10min faster?
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming progress equivalent to what run pace or watts gain on bike? [Tritops] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would think that totally depends on where you are on the curve for the three sports. If you're at the pointy end of the curve..in the long tail, so to speak, for any of them, it'll be a whole lot harder to improve incrementally then if you were just learning one of the others.

Don't let that stop the discussion though..that's what the silly season is for!

Per
(who is having a heck of a time dropping below a 1:27 average for a non-wetsuit HIM-length swim...I'm just stuck there.)
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming progress equivalent to what run pace or watts gain on bike? [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
. Wrong. When you compare world record times for run/swim, it's a 4:1 ratio . So 1:30 100m swim is same time on 400m track. So about 6:00/mile pace

What number are you using? Looking at the ratios between men’s WR for track and LCM swimming...

400m - 5.12
800m - 4.47
1500m - 4.23

My quick google search couldn’t find WR listed for 5k and 10k swimming. Probably since an in pool record at those distances is gimmicky and open water would have lots of variables

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming progress equivalent to what run pace or watts gain on bike? [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Synthetic is right that throughout history it's always been near 4:1 .. the men's track 400m record is slightly faster than the men's swimming 100m freestyle, the 800m/200m is very close. It's a good rule of thumb. Improving your 100m swim 10s is like improving your lap on the track 10s, or 40s in a mile. Extrapolation can be a crap-shoot though.
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming progress equivalent to what run pace or watts gain on bike? [ripple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So the ratio you guys are talking about is taking two distances that have a similar time then? Rather than comparing the ratio of the time required to complete the same distance which is what I did above

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Swimming progress equivalent to what run pace or watts gain on bike? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
So,

Well, someone made it up b/c this comparison of time per 100 yd swim vs 1 mile run makes no sense that i can see. The 4:1 ratio already stated by ripple and synthetic is indeed the long-time rule of thumb, e.g. improving your 400 m free time by 10 sec is about like improving your 1 mile run time by 10 sec.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply