Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bike box Alan with a disc wheel
Quote | Reply
Has anyone travelled with a disc wheel in a bike box alan? Obviously you can’t use the strengthening pole on the middle.
Has it been on with a disc wheel without the pole? Any other tips to pack it?
Quote Reply
Re: Bike box Alan with a disc wheel [IMF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a VeloVault and this is a reason I am hesitant about getting a disc wheel because I fly to almost all of my races. The hard cases that don't have a pole seem to use thicker plastic. Would be neat if there was a secondary off-center location for the pole. That would help still be better than not having one at all.

Probably worth getting a separate case for the disc wheel, tbh
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've travelled with BBA and a disc without the pole - works fine, no issues.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike box Alan with a disc wheel [iron snorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron snorks wrote:
I've travelled with BBA and a disc without the pole - works fine, no issues.

+1 been using BBA for trips to the PI and Canada + national travel without issue. The pole is a "nice to have" but the case is very strong on its own.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It should be fine. My partner and I have done ~100 flights with our BBAs. She normally has a disc, I normally don't. It's never had any damage. I don't think I've even used the stick with mine since ~2014.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike box Alan with a disc wheel [ejls2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all for the feedback
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Old thread to resurrect but I found this on a search and have since discovered a product that might be helpful, so I thought I would share.

Velovault now produce the following extra support struts which are designed to work specifically with a disc wheel. In the case of the Velovault2 or BBA you would remove the integrated central strut and fit these instead. The only thing to then bear in mind is that when you pack the case you need to make sure these new struts do not foul against your frame and whatnot.

https://www.bikebox-online.co.uk/...heel-support-system/
https://velovault2.com/...-system-disc-wheels/

Cheers, Rich.
Quote Reply
Re: Bike box Alan with a disc wheel [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a neat solution. I wonder if there are any potential issues with the fact that it applies the load to the hub
Quote Reply