Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [wincrewser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Sportstat website results are usually the official results... not what you see in the app.

My times were incorrect in the app for Xiamen 70.3 a few weeks ago but the Sportstat website was the "book of record" and more in line with my Garmin splits and it was only recently updated to that result the Ironman website.

I think the inconsistency often relates to the start timing mat and the rolling start times.

wincrewser wrote:
Anyone besides me have their time and place change hours after the race? Was ready for a podium award and then they didn't call my name. They showed me a document that had a different time/place then what the app showed. Then after I asked about it (and took screen captures) the app time changed. I still had all the same splits except for my swim time, which was longer since they had an earlier start time than the original results. Only by a few seconds, but enough to lose a podium spot. They told me to contact a timing company email address, but curious if others experienced this. Definitely bummed on the situation. Already had passed on a WC Slot at another race, so don't care about that, but it is more about getting on the podium and the award.
Last edited by: sfjab: Dec 10, 18 14:43
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, the big guy in all black. I remember his number, but not documenting here. At times he was riding my wheel and others while chilling, sitting up on his base bar. It got frustrating how blatant he was. I had some words with him at one point and then just let it go. Glad he wasn’t a problem for you. Other than that, the bike was fair and a good time. I had few guys like you where we would go back and forth (legally). Overall, I liked the course and would give it another go.
Last edited by: wincrewser: Dec 15, 18 13:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it was me you are talking about. Not the big guy but the one who you traded back and forth with for a bit. I was on a black and white Speed Concept with a Roka kit and a Kask helmet. If it was I really appreciated someone working hard to ride legal. Thanks man.
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [Insilvis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Insilvis wrote:
I think it was me you are talking about. Not the big guy but the one who you traded back and forth with for a bit. I was on a black and white Speed Concept with a Roka kit and a Kask helmet. If it was I really appreciated someone working hard to ride legal. Thanks man.

Yes! You rallied me to pick it up when I started to fade a bit. Did you catch up to me or did I catch you? Either way it was motivting, friendly, and respectful of the rules. It was great to shake your hand as you went by on the run and dropped me like a bad habit. :) You were moving!

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Last edited by: Bryancd: Dec 10, 18 16:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jesus, they just announced the 2019 race is moving a week later to December 15th! They barely were able to have the swim yesterday, the water was 57.1. Below 57 it gets shortened to 750m. I wonder what they are thinking.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
I wonder what they are thinking.

That people are attracted to short courses?

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
Jesus, they just announced the 2019 race is moving a week later to December 15th! They barely were able to have the swim yesterday, the water was 57.1. Below 57 it gets shortened to 750m. I wonder what they are thinking.

I saw that but my thought was that they pre-scheduled that and now with HITS moved, perhaps they may work to change the date. They likely won't open registration til spring anyway as I think 70.3s are opened typically 7-9 months out.

Of course, this could be their ploy to have a guaranteed cancellation of the swim....

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What group were you guys in, I know there were about 20 of us, 6-8 of who kept leading the charge till I decided to just go and led till transition.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [vaxman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This. So much this. Logistics were a PITA as an athlete.

I would be SHOCKED if they get the bike course next year. I can’t believe the impact the race created on local traffic. Selfishly, I love closed roads... first tri I’ve ever had them.

But we had 3 and 4 lane highways closed down, with no rhyme or reason for traffic patterns. Are there any grade-separated ways across or under 111 in the city? Seems like they need to start there and build their course around it... or come up with some much more sensible detours for Sunday traffic.

I wouldn’t piss off the rich, old people who live in gated communities...they tend to get stuff like this shut down.

And it beats me why they let folks down pierce out on the farm roads... they were never going to get across 2 directions of bike traffic where we had the out-n-back. I feel terrible for the farm workers who were stuck for hours.

Idiotic planning. Great for those of us who got to do it yr 1.
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought it was a good first year race and the closed roads were amazing though I also would be surprised if they can do that next year. The logistics on Saturday were a bit of a PITA but I think they did a good job at explaining the process and getting everything back and forth. My feedback would be that they could have done with some more volunteers, a few less turns on the bike and mile markers on the second lap of the run. Overall, I thought it was a beautiful swim (cold and a touch long, I had 2111 yards) and even as a terrible swimmer enjoyed it, and a fast bike on an accurate course. I disagree it wasn’t a bikers course, I’d consider myself a decent rider and made up a ton of time with a 2:25 including a minor mechanical. Loved the run, and was a PR for me with a 1:33 something, though think it was like marmite as heard a few complaints about the pitchyness of some of the hills. I had it at 12.9 miles but started quite late so may have spent some time zig zagging. Good day for me, so maybe looking at it through rose tinted glasses, 3rd F30-34 and 4th FOA, but
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
would do it again as I really enjoyed the winter sun coming from the East Coast I though December 15th is rather late!
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [wincrewser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a big group pass me around mile 40. I stayed close for a few miles and watched it just grow bigger as they road away. A course marshal went by going the other way, but never turned around. Frustrating, because two guys I had passed 15 miles back just got in the peleton and road away with them. Other than that one group, and a few individual drafters, it looked pretty clean.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am not a slow swimmer, but actually start in the swim group I am supposed to. So, I have to pass a lot of people on the bike. People that probably swam slower than me, but started in the 25-30 minute group.

I found that there were HUGE groups of people. People riding side-by side. People blocking the entire road. Two wide. Three wide. Sometimes people just rode on the left for fun. I don't get it. I would voice that I was coming up behind them a good 2-3 MPH faster and they wouldn't care. I started reminding people that you weren't supposed to block. You weren't supposed to ride alongside unless for passing and you only had 25 seconds to pass. I even had a ref ride along side me as I encountered one of these big groups. I was so hoping that he gave out some penalties to people riding side-by-side. He may have, but I couldn't really tell.
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [sfjab] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sfjab wrote:
The Sportstat website results are usually the official results... not what you see in the app.

Btw, sportstats is not showing a run time right now. They'll figure it out eventually

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Below 56 F the swim is shortened to 750 meters. Below 53 F the swim in cancelled. It was nice to be able to announce that we were going to have a 1.2 mile swim on Sunday! Z
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you! It was a great day for me. Finally figured out how to nutrition properly and the whole race just went smoothly. Nothing exceptional on any split but I finally put together the race I knew I could. I'll probably be writing a full race report and post it here but I'm super pumped to get to start with the pros next year.

Aside from my own performance, I actually loved the race. Swim was great, super happy they had the whole thing but can't imagine it being a week later next year. Bike, while decent road surfaces at best, was excellent due to the completely closed course. Sure a few less turns would have been nice but it was scenic and enjoyable. Great volunteers at the aid stations. My part of the bike wasn't very crowded but there was almost constantly a marshall around me due to me being around the pro women for most of the back half. While the run was certainly harder than expected I loved it. Good volunteers and the two loops was at least for me mentally very easy compared to a long out and back or something along those lines. I would love to go back next year but if its actually December 15th I don't want to commit to a race that will almost definitely be shortened.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [Pro_Sandbagger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I started in the 30-35min group and passed many people that were just slow. I swam low 35.
Didn’t see many riding side by side, but a lot of slower cyclists. One big group that went by me. I am used to it on a flat course, but hope it won’t happen.
It is a runners race for surest

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So did you sleep in a tent in the cold the night before the race? That's what we want to know. You are crazy for even thinking that was a possibility.
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We may have been riding near each other. I swam a 35:09 and started just after 7:30.
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [Pro_Sandbagger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I started at 7:26. Rode 2:37, died a slow painful death on run(jog).

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That date was chosen by the local governments many months ago. I can tell you when 2020 is gonna be as well, but I won’t. ;-)

Interestingly enough, later may be better. We tend to get less wind as we get further into the month. The lake is super shallow so it’s more affected by moving air at night than ambient air temp, and our sun does plenty to warm during the day.

Bryancd wrote:

Salton Sea Triathlon Club
“I swim to get to the bike. I run because nobody gives a shit about aquabike.”
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [tomziebart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
856 meters actually. FWIW

Salton Sea Triathlon Club
“I swim to get to the bike. I run because nobody gives a shit about aquabike.”
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MadTownTRI wrote:
This. So much this. Logistics were a PITA as an athlete.

I would be SHOCKED if they get the bike course next year. I can’t believe the impact the race created on local traffic. Selfishly, I love closed roads... first tri I’ve ever had them.

But we had 3 and 4 lane highways closed down, with no rhyme or reason for traffic patterns. Are there any grade-separated ways across or under 111 in the city? Seems like they need to start there and build their course around it... or come up with some much more sensible detours for Sunday traffic.

I wouldn’t piss off the rich, old people who live in gated communities...they tend to get stuff like this shut down.

And it beats me why they let folks down pierce out on the farm roads... they were never going to get across 2 directions of bike traffic where we had the out-n-back. I feel terrible for the farm workers who were stuck for hours.

Idiotic planning. Great for those of us who got to do it yr 1.

You are talking about the HITS race right? Cause IronBrand provides the perfect experience.
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [Gonefishin5555] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha. We ended up finding an AirBnB for $108 (3 nights) so no we had a bed to sleep in. To be fair though, we camp before about half of our races, including a 70.3 in Flagstaff and nearly every olympic we do.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [getbarreled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
12/13/2020 according to local paper, but hopefully you have good news and that gets changed!
Quote Reply

Prev Next