Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [RallySavage] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She DNFed on the swim. //

What happened to her? That really sucks to come so far to have your day end so early, and likely did not have to from the sounds of it..
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed, I hate hearing things like this. What happened?

monty wrote:
She DNFed on the swim. //

What happened to her? That really sucks to come so far to have your day end so early, and likely did not have to from the sounds of it..
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
monty wrote:
Some pretty fast time out there, but of course there were some fast athletes, on a cool, calm, and flat day..Looking at swim times it seems to have been spot on, or maybe 50m long. What did everyone get on their gamins for the bike and runs??

And I always forget to add, when you give your Garmin times, make sure to say if they included transition runs in the total, I think a lot of short courses get overlooked because people start the watches at the bike drop off, then run for up to 3 minutes before actually hitting the start line of the actual run...

Very glad they had the whole swim too, good for them to keep the race honest...

I had 2000m on the swim (not a straight swimmer), 90.1 km on the bike and 20.34km on the run but with all the turns on the golf course, I would give them maybe 400m, still short on all my teammate's watches

seeing 12.7 miles on most people's watches..... and people bash HITS race.
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone besides me have their time and place change hours after the race? Was ready for a podium award and then they didn't call my name. They showed me a document that had a different time/place then what the app showed. Then after I asked about it (and took screen captures) the app time changed. I still had all the same splits except for my swim time, which was longer since they had an earlier start time than the original results. Only by a few seconds, but enough to lose a podium spot. They told me to contact a timing company email address, but curious if others experienced this. Definitely bummed on the situation. Already had passed on a WC Slot at another race, so don't care about that, but it is more about getting on the podium and the award.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had 1.22 miles for the swim, 56.0 on the bike, 12.7 on the run.

Aside from that, my race didn't go super well. I won the bonehead award and didn't see the note to check in your T2 gear bag on Saturday. So, I stuffed my shoes in a bush and had to run barefoot for the first 0.75 miles to get to them. Also, my run is still horrible. I don't think I over pace the bike. I rode at less than 0.8 IF, which is what I do in training all the time. Yet, I blow up on the run. Maybe I shouldn't say blow up, but just that my run pace is slow. my avg. pace was about 10:00 min/mile and my long training runs are usually 9:30-9:45.
Last edited by: Pro_Sandbagger: Dec 10, 18 4:42
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [Pro_Sandbagger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you taking enough hydration and calories on the bike?

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like to think so.

On Sunday, I did the bike in under 2:30 and had about 700 calories. Water was about 40 oz.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had 2,203 yards (2,112=1.2, not a straight swimmer), 56.00mi, and 12.71 mi.
Last edited by: primapronto: Dec 10, 18 5:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It seemed to me like they went to great lengths to make the bike course accurate as they ad changed it once 4 weeks ago then again I think twice in the last few days adding random out and backs to preserve distance. There was only on true turnaround on the run course, the one by the finish was a roundabout so could have maybe also contributed but the turns on the golf course seemed wide enough to let GPS be close to accurate. Shame they didn't take the same attention to the run course, maybe they didn't purposefully because the run course was hard (short punchy hills and completely exposed and hot).

My race was also disappointing and I know exactly why, I forgot to bring a bottle of water with me in the morning before the swim, so I started the race on coffee as hydration and I only had my two caloried water bottles on the bike. Just didn't even think of it until I hit the run and started cramping in mile 2. One good thing about it is that when I stopped to walk (water at the first and second aid stations) I felt like the cramps were about to hit bad, so that kept me running, albeit slowly, the whole rest of the time. If the course was accurate, I probably would have come in about 1:42 (actual time 1:38).

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [connan23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Time to turn this into a Sanders thread (7 pages in, not bad)

Lionel took his 70.3 WC slot, after 2 years of eschewing the race in seeming protest against the 12m draft zone. Perhaps the climbs of the riviera are enticing enough along with a host of 1:06-1:07 runners joining the fray.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I figure him being out split on the bike was why the fan boys weren't more excited. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha! yeah, I was surprised there wasn't already a thread on him taking the slot 5 seconds after it happened. He played this race right, it was not a cyclist's course.

I actually thought the win on the women's side was quite interesting, former ITU that I've never heard of. Granted she didn't blow the field apart but it was still a great debut, beating Haley and Carrie handily

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a ton of factors that can go on here, but it sounds like you simply aren't running enough. Long runs if done at race pace intensity aren't likely to be the same pace as a 70.3 run because of the fatigue nature of the day. Especially for "poor" runners, I don't see you running as fast as faster on race day as you would on normal stand alone run days. Unless your saying every single long run was a T2 brick run. But it more just sounds like you don't have enough volume in the legs more than anything.

But I'd also say if your long runs are a pace and your 70.3 effort is within 15s, that's actually not bad imo especially for a "horrible" runner.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He played this race right, it was not a cyclist's course. //

From the spits it looks like he rode the entire ride with that guy, then caught up the leaders and formed a lead group. It is really hard to determine how his race went to me. Was it his game plan to just ride to the front and win it on the run, or was it just too hot a pace to try and get a gap to T2? His swim was not great, not horrible, expected better out of a wetsuit one though. And the run was short, so that time is more a 1;12+, so right around his average run for a 1/2.

To me it looks like he won the race without having a 100% day, which when you are as good as he is, you can do unless someone is absolutely on fire. Maybe his coach had him train through, or just a mini taper??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chelsea Sodaro....she's a former pro runner turned elite triathlete since March of '17. She's worked the ITU circuit the last 1.5 years, struggled obviously with the swim, and I think has found her niche in new coaching group and likely more "long course" focused environment.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That to me was a pro's pro win. Have a shit ass Kona to the point he was completely mind fucked the last few months. Seems to have himself on the right path over the last month, and likely still in "transition" with everything. So to me that's the definition of a pro showing up and taking care of business.....I also don't know how deep the field was so I'm not saying this was some huge great result, but I think this was simply a workman like win.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I doubt the course is ever going to be the same if they hold the event next year, based on everything I saw/experienced the race director will probably get fired... either instructions to the local police weren't correct or they failed to act on it - bewildered police standing guard at numerous intersections with 3-4 mile grid locked traffic, cars 3-point turning and dangerously mingling with bikes, pissed off drivers yelling at cyclists, a run course that was like running around and around a roller coaster track, not to mention the huge number of inconvenienced residents whose gated communities appeared to be completely blocked from entering/leaving. And on top of all that the crazy logistics required to get everything in place for race morning, I bet there was a giant lost and found giveaway at the end of it it...
Last edited by: vaxman: Dec 10, 18 8:35
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
That to me was a pro's pro win. Have a shit ass Kona to the point he was completely mind fucked the last few months. Seems to have himself on the right path over the last month, and likely still in "transition" with everything. So to me that's the definition of a pro showing up and taking care of business.....I also don't know how deep the field was so I'm not saying this was some huge great result, but I think this was simply a workman like win.

Well said....
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [vaxman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So they pissed off a lot of old people but the contract has already been signed for 2019 and 2020 according to the desert sun newspaper,
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a 6:17 finish... which I was happy with. Did the Vegas rock n roll marathon last month, then got super sick and hadn't lifted a finger for 2 1/2 weeks. Burned a few too many matched on the bike, and had a tough run as a result. Still, took 40 minutes off my St. George time, so I am happy.

distances:

2358 yds. for the swim, which seemed long. I went wide on the last half though.
56.15 for the bike
12.8 for the run
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [vaxman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting experience. I had no qualms about the bike or run, aside from the run being a bit short. I was glad that the run was harder than I anticipated, we need more difficult courses.

Oh and I was very happy to see large groups of people in the penalty tents. Because I had a slow swim and 12 minute transition, I soent the first 40 miles passing everyone and thought since my race was effectively no loger competitive, that I would do a good duty and call out drafters, and there were plenty. Including one asshole riding just to the left of a girl (literally, his front wheel was dangerously in line with her rear) and when I called him out he replied "I'm staying to the side!" Really? At least I heard the girl start to yell at him as I kept going.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the swim at 2134 yards, bike dead nuts on 56.06, run short at 12.71. That bike course was bumpy, a lot of chip seal, and mostly back county farm roads. I wasn’t a fan.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You were rolling out there. You went by me around mile 10, then you lost your bottle around the one turn and I passed you back. You made me feel better that you didn’t catch up and pass for about 10 miles. Unfortunately there was one guy around us (big tall guy) that was drafting and didn’t get caught. Did he hang on your wheel as well? He was on mine for a bit then jump to others. I thought you were one of them. I let him go and got him on the run. I ran by you as well, but was in such bad shape then I couldn’t even speak and say “nice job, keep moving”. Sorry I didn’t introduce myself afterwards as you were a class act every time we saw each other on the course. I was riding the Black Speed Concept with the White Kiwami Kona Wings on the bike.
Last edited by: wincrewser: Dec 15, 18 13:09
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [wincrewser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wincrewser wrote:
You were rolling out there. You went by me around mile 10, then you lost your bottle around the one turn and I passed you back. You made me feel better that you didn’t catch up and pass for about 10 miles. Unfortunately there was one guy around us (big tall guy) that was drafting and didn’t get caught. Did he hang on your wheel as well? He was on mine for a bit then jump to others. I thought you were one of them. I let him go and got him on the run. I ran by you as well, but was in such bad shape then I couldn’t even speak and say “nice job, keep moving”. Sorry I didn’t introduce myself afterwards as you were a class act every time we saw each other on the course. I was riding the Black Speed Concept with the White Kiwami Kona Wings too on the bike.

Oh hey! So glad you saw this! Do you mean the big guy in the all black kit? After I caught back up to the group your were in when I doubled back for that bottle and went off the front no one came with me, so no he never sat on me. I did go back and forth in a friendly and legal manner with a guy who either caught me or I caught him and he stayed with me at around mile 40 or so. He and I were always catching single refers and no one came with us. It was pretty spread out and all the riding I witnessed was clean. Great job running all of us down!

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
hadukla wrote:
monty wrote:
Some pretty fast time out there, but of course there were some fast athletes, on a cool, calm, and flat day..Looking at swim times it seems to have been spot on, or maybe 50m long. What did everyone get on their gamins for the bike and runs??

And I always forget to add, when you give your Garmin times, make sure to say if they included transition runs in the total, I think a lot of short courses get overlooked because people start the watches at the bike drop off, then run for up to 3 minutes before actually hitting the start line of the actual run...

Very glad they had the whole swim too, good for them to keep the race honest...

I had 2000m on the swim (not a straight swimmer), 90.1 km on the bike and 20.34km on the run but with all the turns on the golf course, I would give them maybe 400m, still short on all my teammate's watches

seeing 12.7 miles on most people's watches..... and people bash HITS race.

Dude.. wtc is about the EXPERIENCE. Duh.

Besides, if you do the hits race, you can't get the tat, because it's not a real ironman.
Quote Reply

Prev Next