Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

LG P-09 vs Giro Aerohead -- position dictates the choice?
Quote | Reply
I've finally become fed up with my LG Vortice this past race. It's served me well; however, after six seasons, the visor has broken twice and the padding on the inside is falling out. (Plus, excuse to get a new helmet?)

Is there a way to "eyeball wind tunnel" it? I tend to have a, what I'm assuming to be, less than ideal position. I tend to ball up and arch my back a bit (first picture), but I've gotten better and flattening my back out a bit. But, with this arch, would the P-09 (with a longer tail) be a better choice? Or would it likely be better to use a shorter helmet like the Aerohead? Is there even a way to make an educated decision?

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Last edited by: cloy: Dec 9, 18 8:24
Quote Reply
Re: LG P-09 vs Giro Aerohead -- position dictates the choice? [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think keeping your head down is the most important thing. In the last picture you are getting close. Stretch out (maybe move saddle back?), raise your pads if it helps, don't pull yourself forward. Turtle and shrug.

No idea on the helmet. Both are good options to try. I recently discovered that a Selector that I'd modified to fit "perfectly" (so I thought... ) was quite a bit worse than a Limar Crono (also modified). Both were below my back and looked good. The Selector filled in the space between my head and back very well. I guess there are some esoteric interactions between head position, shoulder posture, and suit material that make it difficult to tell.
Quote Reply
Re: LG P-09 vs Giro Aerohead -- position dictates the choice? [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I tested, these two helmets were within the margin of error with each other. And I keep my head pretty low.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suspect you'll see improvement with either helmet. I vaguely remember the Vortice testing relatively poorly, but I could be wrong about that.
Quote Reply
Re: LG P-09 vs Giro Aerohead -- position dictates the choice? [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
When I tested, these two helmets were within the margin of error with each other. And I keep my head pretty low.

What shoes are you wearing? Very slick and actually look wide in the forefoot
Quote Reply
Re: LG P-09 vs Giro Aerohead -- position dictates the choice? [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They’re the cheap giro lace shoe, with the tongue cut out then sewed & velcroed to the top. They’re actually not that wide though.
Quote Reply
Re: LG P-09 vs Giro Aerohead -- position dictates the choice? [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn was hoping for a wide aero shoe I hadn’t seen. Ya Giro suck from a width perspective

Sean H wrote:
They’re the cheap giro lace shoe, with the tongue cut out then sewed & velcroed to the top. They’re actually not that wide though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It looks like you moved the seat back in the second and third picture and that really helped you drop your head. The toe pointed down severely at the top of the pedal stroke (though it is much better) suggests maybe try coming back just a touch more.

There is an AeroCoach video or two floating around where Xavier Disley talks a bit about helmet choice. You might try the Aerohead with slightly higher hands. The Flo Cycling podcast also has an hour long interview with Jim Manton of ERO. A great listen while doing bike maintanence. There is some discussion of helmets on there as well.
Quote Reply
Re: LG P-09 vs Giro Aerohead -- position dictates the choice? [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You could do the same thing with S-works Sub 6. They're wider than Giro
Quote Reply
Re: LG P-09 vs Giro Aerohead -- position dictates the choice? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have both helmets. Don't know about aero, but I feel Aerohead is bit heavier somehow. I didn't weigh them though. My neck was killing me when I used Aerohead. I felt okay when I used P-09.
Quote Reply
Re: LG P-09 vs Giro Aerohead -- position dictates the choice? [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was my experience too - the aerohead is heavy and the neck tension it caused was messing with my back.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: LG P-09 vs Giro Aerohead -- position dictates the choice? [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fvck Florida
Quote Reply