Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

British Triathlon tightens up on Pro Criteria from 2020
Quote | Reply
2019 will be a transitional year using the 8% of within the winner time rule for meeting Pro criteria but for 2020 it will become a bit harder to gain Pro accreditation from British Triathlon.

https://www.britishtriathlon.org/...website-version-.pdf
Quote Reply
Re: British Triathlon tightens up on Pro Criteria from 2020 [MrPG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Would be interesting to see if any other countries follow suit

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: British Triathlon tightens up on Pro Criteria from 2020 [MrPG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrPG wrote:
2019 will be a transitional year using the 8% of within the winner time rule for meeting Pro criteria but for 2020 it will become a bit harder to gain Pro accreditation from British Triathlon.

https://www.britishtriathlon.org/...website-version-.pdf

That's a good rule and in line with the requirements to remain pro. USAT should follow suit.
Quote Reply
Re: British Triathlon tightens up on Pro Criteria from 2020 [USCoregonian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually BT is basically following suit of USAT. USA is one of the few countries with strict policy on elite card status. Many Euro countries you simply apply for it (that's how British elite works now), show them your results and they decide yes or no. USAT is one of the few countries that actually has a standard to qualify that an athlete knows the day of a race they qualify for the card or not. No guessing, no applying and hoping they accept it. You apply knowing you'll get it.

What your seeming to suggest is just tightening up the standards, which I would agree if it applied only to LC athletes. Where I don't agree is when it applies to short course athletes, as there isn't enough qualifiers to truly showcase your talent at SC racing. That's why many USAT CRP athletes who race DL pretty exclusively will jump into a 70.3 to get the pro card and then not race 70.3 again until they burn out of ITU.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: British Triathlon tightens up on Pro Criteria from 2020 [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
Actually BT is basically following suit of USAT. USA is one of the few countries with strict policy on elite card status. Many Euro countries you simply apply for it (that's how British elite works now), show them your results and they decide yes or no. USAT is one of the few countries that actually has a standard to qualify that an athlete knows the day of a race they qualify for the card or not. No guessing, no applying and hoping they accept it. You apply knowing you'll get it.

What your seeming to suggest is just tightening up the standards, which I would agree if it applied only to LC athletes. Where I don't agree is when it applies to short course athletes, as there isn't enough qualifiers to truly showcase your talent at SC racing. That's why many USAT CRP athletes who race DL pretty exclusively will jump into a 70.3 to get the pro card and then not race 70.3 again until they burn out of ITU.

I was only referring to the non-drafting pathway, specifically the 104 point and top 3 age grouper paths to a pro card. I don't have the experience with the draft-legal pathway that you do.
Quote Reply
Re: British Triathlon tightens up on Pro Criteria from 2020 [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is only for LC and 70.3 Brit Athletes - For the past 2 years it was 8% of the winner and quality of field.
Quote Reply
Re: British Triathlon tightens up on Pro Criteria from 2020 [USCoregonian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting thing is BT is going to a 1 year pro contract that has to be met every single year to renew pro license. I like the 3 year window especially at LC where you only race what less than 6 times a year. A flat tire here, a sick race day there and your suddenly against the deadline to make the standard. Doesn't give much leeway.

But if your trying to make an "strict" standard, fair enough.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
Interesting thing is BT is going to a 1 year pro contract that has to be met every single year to renew pro license. I like the 3 year window especially at LC where you only race what less than 6 times a year. A flat tire here, a sick race day there and your suddenly against the deadline to make the standard. Doesn't give much leeway.
Good point.
There have been numerous athletes have a bad year and come back the following year to do well.
Quote Reply