Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: December fish thread [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Good luck, and have fun with it! Looking forward to hearing how you do.

Just take your 200m and 100m times and we should have a good guestimate of my 100 and 50 times! All kidding aside, this is defintely racing at the far other end of the slowtwitch spectrum and much more fast twitch/power oriented!
Quote Reply
Re: December fish thread [Kirch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm... That's tough. I'm not the expert in usrpt, or swimming. I'm still learning both of those things, and I make a lot of training errors figuring out what doesn't work. Any lack of progress that I've had is attributable to my lack of understanding... Not the training method.

Usrpt has been very effective, when I cut my run and bike volume/intensity back. I ride less than once a week. I run 4 miles a day, 5-6 days a week. Everything else is swimming (mostly usrpt) or recovery.

In the last 5 weeks, I've cut 10s off my pace for a 4x400 (:30) set. From 1:53 to 1:43. My goal for the off season is to get down to low 1:30s for that set. I did that last winter before getting injured and having to take 4 months off. So, I'm trying to get back there and come into the season fast(er) and healthy!

Mid season, I did stagnate... Once my run volume exceeded 30-35 mpw and I was doing 2x 2x20 + long ride on the bike, swim progress stalled (maybe even backslid). But, that's either a training error or a priority decision depending on your perspective. I placed well in my races... So, maybe it was the right call at the time.

Also, I'm 50 and an adult onset swimmer. While I don't considered that old...there is no denying that learning a skill like swimming, and developing the fitness in an area that doesn't have a lifetime behind it, is slow going.

Finally, I do have a very good local coach. So, I get regular technique feedback... I'm not just slogging through hard sets with (very) shitty form.

I don't know if that answers anything for you or not.
Quote Reply
Re: December fish thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is my first post, despite considering myself as a longtime 'fish lurker'! I hope I stuck to the format Monty!

Friday's session (scy):

200y alternating 25y Free, 25y Back
200y Free (alternating 25y breathing every 3, every 5)
200y Free (pull and paddles)

7x100 @CSS+2 off 1:20
1x100 Pull and paddles
5x200 @CSS+1 off 2:35
1x100 pull and paddles
3x300 @CSS off 4:30
1x100 pull and paddles
2x400 @CSS-1 off 5:00
1x100 pull and paddles
1x100 max (from push) - Managed to hit 1:00:00 exactly according to my Garmin! Fastest 100 I've hit in a long time.

200y Free (pull and paddles)
200y Free (alternating 25y breathing every 3, every 5)
200y alternating 25y Free, 25y Back

Total: 5100y, 1:30h Session time

Practise doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect!
Quote Reply
Re: December fish thread [PrimalSteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Welcome to the fish thread!

Over on the usrpt thread snappingT (tim floyd) suggested that I replace my 4x400s with a usrpt set of 25s. So, that's what I tried out today.

Wu:
3x100 (30) descend
100 all out (1:23)

Ms: 30x25 usrpt (15s rest) coming in at 19s. Failed at #10. Finished out the set.

Cd: 100ez

Looking back at my times they ranged between 18.1 and 19.9 (other than the fail at 20.1). I got more consistent after the first failure... Staying at or just under the 19.1 pace. My watch (yes, I know) only reads to the even second. So, 19.9 looks the same as 19.0.

Noy sure what to make of failing so early, and then swimmig out the set without another fallure. Probably should try to swim faster. I felt like I was going as fast as I could. Faster turn over, I guess? .
Quote Reply
Re: December fish thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Faster turn over, I guess? . //

Being that it is a 25, you could turn over faster, just pull a little harder, or for a no brainer, focus more on your push off and break out. I think that is what I would do first, grab the low hanging fruit of a streamlined push off and better break out..And that skill will more transfer over to you on race day than just swimming harder..
Quote Reply
Re: December fish thread [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
David D made a similar comment about my 50s. Any tips for a better breakout? I think I know what to do for the push and streamline. But, the breakout, not so much.
Quote Reply
Re: December fish thread [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Good luck, and have fun with it! Looking forward to hearing how you do.

These were the numbers from today's swim meet (Edit: per Monty's request...all SCM)

100 free 1:24
100 back 1:41
100 fly 1:34
100 breast 1:55
50 fly 42
50 free 38
50 kick with board (unique event) 1:00

plus raced 50 free and 50 fly in the relay. My 50 fly relay time MAY have been faster, than the standalone event. First time I have done 100 back and 100 breast.

EDIT TO CONFORM TO MONTY'S REQUIREMENTS: ALL SHORT COURSE METERS WHICH IS 95% OF POOLS IN CANADA

Dev
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Dec 9, 18 18:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yesterday 4 mi easy run

today 7.3 mi run 1:04:24, 700 yd swim (straight)

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love to use swimming as a recovery method too. I ran a half marathon yesterday and even though my result was a far cry from "fast", my legs are killing me today.

I did a 1,000 easy recovery swim, taking rest as needed:

2x:
200x easy kick with board and fins
Swim 100 easy - 1:35

2x:
100 very breast stroke kick
Swim 100 easy - 1:35

Nourish - Sports Nutrition Made Easy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
12/8....On Saturday’s one local pool doesn’t open til 8am, so I slept in a lil.
250 br,fr w/up
Then 2x:
2x400 pull
2x200 fr
4x100 ankle band & buoy

100 br after 1st set
150 br,fr cl dwn after 2nd set
3700 scy
Then 45min on the trainer.

Today, 12/9, 13+ mile run with the spouse in below freezing temps. 🥶
Last edited by: Blmgtnbkr: Dec 9, 18 17:30
Quote Reply
Re: December fish thread [Blmgtnbkr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When fish say "pull" does that mean wih pb only or pb+paddles?

Asking for a friend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
When fish say "pull" does that mean wih pb only or pb+paddles?

Asking for a friend.

I have no clue....I don't qualify as a fish yet (working on it), but I never use a pull buoy. I probably should so more oxygen is available for my upper body to work harder without all the oxygen going to me keep my core and legs stable.
Quote Reply
Re: December fish thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you still thinking about this 10k day? I still don't know my family plans between Xmas and nye. But, I think this would be cool. I'm trying to figure out how I would manage when my biggest swim day ever is 3500scy. But, it's only one day, right?

Eta: if you put it off until the first weekend of the new year, I'm all in.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Dec 9, 18 17:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When fish say "pull" does that mean wih pb only or pb+paddles? //

When someone says pull, it usually means paddles + buoy. Sometimes folks use PB(for pull+ buoy). I often will say buoy which means only buoy, no paddles. And sometimes I just use paddles, and I will state that too. Others have paddles, buoy, and band, still another category, or band only, or band and paddles. But I'm anal like that, I like to reflect what I did, even once in awhile using neoprene jammers. Others might not be so anal, hell, I can't even tell what length pools some people are swimming in, that is the very first thing that has to be established... (-;
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pb+paddles. sorry, I’ll clarify next time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are far from alone. No need to apologize. I just wanted to know the lingo.

... Aspiring fish, gotta speak the part.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I said "pull" I would mean just buoy. Anything else I would clarify "pull with band only" or "pull with paddles" (which would mean buoy and paddles)

today 7.6 mi run progressive 9:10, 8:49, 8:41, 8:34, 8:27, 8:20, 8:13, last 0.6 free speed
1100 yd swim

100, 150, 100, 200, 100, 150, 100, 100 on a 1:30 base
100 kick c/d

7/10 days in Dec.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: December fish thread [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Today's swim, 2100SCY

2x75B-3, 2x50B-4 warmup.
3x200 descending (swims in 2:39, 2:37, 2:36),
4x150 descending (swims in 1:59, 1:58, 1:57, 1:55),
5x100 descending (swims in 1:16, 1:15, 1:14, 1:13, 1:12).
150 warmdown.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
December has not been very consistent. I suppose that's just the way the holiday season is.

WU: 250 straight.

MS:
23x50 usrpt @42s, failed at #10, #19, #23
7x50 @60s, coming in at 48

CD: 100ez
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Easy day...

3x300 (30s) swim w/ fins, kick w/fins, buoy
6x50 (15s)
4x100 on 2:00 descend (1:44, 1:40, 1:34, 1:31)

1700 scy

ETA: I'd never done a descend set before. But, I was pretty happy being able to put down a 1:34 and a 1:31 at the end. I was still a bit fatigued from last night, and it took a while to get "going" this morning.

6/11..I wasn't tracking this month. But, I do want to be more consistent through the 23rd. But, it will go to hell after that...my only option would be swim chords.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Dec 11, 18 13:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
7.1 mi easy 1:04:40
10 min swimming in a flume sort of thing. Was at a different place, they had an oval-ish pool with a current. I swam against the current. It was fun until I got out and was wickedly motion sick.

8/11

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1325 yd swim
4.6 mi run

5 x 100 on 1:30, extra :30 after the last one
4 x 200 on 3:30 desc 2:43, 2:40, 2:39, 2:39
25 kick c/d

9/12 for December

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice descend on the 100s Tom _h.

Biked & ran yesterday. Stayed up too late so this morn's swim was a struggle. But I'll take a bad day in the pool over no day in the pool.

550 br, fr w/up
650 pad & buoy
500 fr build pace every 100
600 buoy
6x100 fr lv @1:50
2900scy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Today's swim - 2100scy

200S, 2x75B-3, 3x50B-4 warmup.
5x300 (1-4 swim, 4:01-4:02, 5 pull with buoy).
100 warmdown.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Nice descend on the 100s Tom _h.

Thanks!

Today was pretty solid. USRPT 100s day.

WU:
100ez
2x50 kick
2x100 as (25 LA, 25 RA, 50 sw)

MS:
15x100 usrpt @ 1:36 (!!) pace, failed at: #9, #12, #15
15x50 (20s) @ 1:35 pace

CD: 100ez

2700scy

Possibly I should have cooled my jets a little bit and done the 100s a 1-2s slower. There were several 34s and 35s mixed in. All of which "wore me down" a bit faster than ideal. I usually hope to get 20+ at target pace, and at least 12 or so before my first failure. Oh well. Once I failed out, I decided to just finish out the set swimming 50s at target pace.

Stoked to swim 15x100 sub 1:37, and a total of 2200scy at that pace.

Monty/DavidD: I've been focusing on my streamline, and breakouts. I'm sure there's still TONS to improve there. My shoulders aren't exactly flexible overhead. But, at least my hands are overlapped and I'm squeezing tight. I also watched a couple Vids on the breakout stroke, so I've also been paying attention to keeping the extended arm in the streamline position, and keeping the first stroke in near the shoulder/body line. Definitely helps. I'm breaking out about a 1.5-2 body lengths farther down the lane, and don't feel like I have to take a couple of HARD strokes to get back up to pace. Thanks.
Quote Reply

Prev Next