Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Road bike upgrade questions
Quote | Reply
Okay so I am going to finally get a new road bike. Have 15 year old Litespeed with shimano ultegra mechanical and HED 6+ clinchers. My questions are these. Do I go for disc brakes? (my only complaints with my braking now is descending fast is nerve racking in wet conditions) Do I get clincher or tubeless? Probably going with a used Cervelo S3. Plan on keeping the bike for at least 5 years. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Road bike upgrade questions [slowrob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowrob wrote:
Okay so I am going to finally get a new road bike. Have 15 year old Litespeed with shimano ultegra mechanical and HED 6+ clinchers. My questions are these. Do I go for disc brakes? (my only complaints with my braking now is descending fast is nerve racking in wet conditions) Do I get clincher or tubeless? Probably going with a used Cervelo S3. Plan on keeping the bike for at least 5 years. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Go for;
Disc brakes, they're here to stay. Might as well get a good all around set and can add from there.
Electronic shifting. Its not necessary but its very nice.
I've never run tubeless but I hear good things. More of a pain to set up at first though.
I know you mentioned the S3, but yeah aero frame. No sense in this day and age not to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can use clincher tires on tubeless rims.
Quote Reply
Re: Road bike upgrade questions [JT_Dennen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the information. That was the way I was leaning, but it is all new to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Road bike upgrade questions [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
You can use clincher tires on tubeless rims.

not all ... and it's better to call them "tubeless ready" There is risk involved in the rims are "tubeless only" aka Enve 4.5AR for instance because they are hookless.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Disc brakes, tubeless ready tires, mechanical Ultegra -- it'll feel like electronic to you after your old bike, and you won't need to keep it charged.

<The Dew Abides>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get a Madone. The Isospeed is probably the best upgrade since clipless pedals. I won't buy another bike without similar damping. I pondered the disc version and figured last year's rim brake was just too good a deal. Unless you ride in the rain or do tons of steep descents where you actually want brakes, the whole disc thing is just another layer of complexity you don't really need, especially if you already have the 6+.

Electronic shifting is a luxury item. I got hooked when I rented a bike in Kona. It was a bad idea because now all my bikes have electronic (eTap or EPS).
Quote Reply
Re: Road bike upgrade questions [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have considered the Madone also. What is the isospeed? .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowrob wrote:

Before you plunk down your hard earned cash maybe narrow your choices to certain brands and bikevtypes.

Do you want an endurance bike, aero, gravel etc ?

I would get down to some stores and try out some bikes with discs, Di2 and see how you find it.

Good luck !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is the damping system they put in the seattube. It take the jarring edge off frost cracks and other crappy pavement issues. All the recent aero bikes have some design consideration for making the ride less harsh, especially relative to the original crop of aero frames. Trek's system is by far the best in my opinion. Sort of like electronic shifting, once you try it you will really want it.
Quote Reply
Re: Road bike upgrade questions [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the heads up on the madone. Will definitely try riding one before making a final choice.
Quote Reply