Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Fat Old Loser.
Quote | Reply
Hello.

Keep your mean-ass comments to yourself. I'm sure there's plenty of other threads to vent about.

I am an old woman. 67 years to be exact. I used to run marathons. Maybe a dozen. Half marathons. Maybe a half dozen. Triathlons. A ton of sprints down in central Florida. An olympic at Tampa. Boy did that suck.

My husband died, I retired, moved to Florida, gained 50 pounds, started smoking again, found el vino, been sitting on my ass and dying slowly in the sunshine.

Signed up for four sprint tris in 2019 down here in Florida. But I'm floundering. Can't find a way out of the black hole I've crawled into.

Someone got a game plan? Hellz bellz, my last and only 5k lately was on a cane. Came in at 1:30. DFL and as embarassed as hell. Don't particularly mind being embarrased .... WTF I'm still somehow in the game. I don't want to die without giving it another shot.

I'ma go down fighting. But where the hell do I start?

Thanks. I signed up for a series of four tris in 2019.

Encouraging words?

Diss me if you like. Hell, I'm already half in the ground. Sigh.

Kate
Quote Reply
Re: Fat Old Loser. [dreaming~big] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I respect your gumption. Find a group to train with if you can. Find inspiration in God's Word.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hit a bottom, not as deep as yours though. But I began intermittent fasting, so just dont eat between 6 or 7 pm to at least noon the next day. Didn't change much what I ate, just how I ate it. Lost a bunch of weight, workouts got easier and faster, and its now been 7 months, part of my lifestyle going forward into my future.

So I would say start there, it is easy, you get your coffee, and it will trickle into all the other things you need to change later, the bigger things....

Good luck, at least you know what it is like to be an athlete, you got that going for you...Think about others in your spot who never did anything, it really has to be daunting not knowing even where you want or need to go...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First of all you are hilarious Kate, NFW I can diss a person with such words! Maybe find a club/group to join. Not everyone's driven/motivated by the same things. Get your hands on a training plan of some kind. I swim with a masters group and there's always some triathlete types in those groups. Looks like you need some work on the running. Don't rush it, get some miles in on a bike and some laps in on the swim to help lose some of those 50 lbs. Throw those dang cigs away, get ride of the whine but keep the wine :)

My grandpa used to say, "If I can't cut the mustard I can still lick the lid!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First off, you're not old. Second, you've been there and done it once....you know what you need to do. Third, sounds like you just need some motivation. So, just go do it. Start slow and easy and build gradually. Wow, retired....you'll have all the time in the world to train....I'm jealous.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How much training do you want to do? If it's the novice pool sprint...you could swim once per week, bike three times for an hour and two runs of 30 minutes as your gateway in. Structure it how you like it and enjoy.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
with that track record your body knows what to do. You need to figure out how to get out of its way. My vote, fwiw, is that drinking is as bad a handicap as smoking. If you don't sleep solid through the night, you don't build.

I'd also say if you're not into tri clubs and working out with other people (which is really good advice but not for everybody's temperament or schedule) then find some podcasts you really like, get on an elliptical or stationary bike, and go.

Good luck! Fight the good fight!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lots of local tri/bike/running clubs around- training with some like minded folks makes it easier. Also bike trainer tech has improved immensely- you can get pretty fit safely at home now. Check out Zwift for example.

Go and get them- the podium awaits!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dreaming~big wrote:
Hello.

Keep your mean-ass comments to yourself. I'm sure there's plenty of other threads to vent about.

I am an old woman. 67 years to be exact. I used to run marathons. Maybe a dozen. Half marathons. Maybe a half dozen. Triathlons. A ton of sprints down in central Florida. An olympic at Tampa. Boy did that suck.

My husband died, I retired, moved to Florida, gained 50 pounds, started smoking again, found el vino, been sitting on my ass and dying slowly in the sunshine.

Signed up for four sprint tris in 2019 down here in Florida. But I'm floundering. Can't find a way out of the black hole I've crawled into.

Someone got a game plan? Hellz bellz, my last and only 5k lately was on a cane. Came in at 1:30. DFL and as embarassed as hell. Don't particularly mind being embarrased .... WTF I'm still somehow in the game. I don't want to die without giving it another shot.

I'ma go down fighting. But where the hell do I start?

Thanks. I signed up for a series of four tris in 2019.

Encouraging words?

Diss me if you like. Hell, I'm already half in the ground. Sigh.

Kate

The last time you were here in May, you had some good advice and an offer to coach you for FREE from a well respected/experienced Triathlon coach..

What happened?

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...._P6644927/#p6644927

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PM sent.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) Stop smoking
2) Check with a doctor (who will tell you to stop smoking, so you might as well quit smoking first)
3) Hire a coach or personal trainer to progress your training volume properly. Doing too much too soon might be your biggest risk.

Even if you're DFL, own it! People cheer for me for finishing races with a gray beard, and I'm barely 50. At 67, you're a superhero just for showing up. Our sport is inclusive and encouraging (with the exception of a couple of dimwits on this forum). 90 minutes for a 5k means you worked just as hard, but for 3x longer than the 30-minute finishers -- and the crowd and other athletes will know that.

<The Dew Abides>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Remember, DFL is a lot better than DNS!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where do you start? Darlin', it's looks to me like you already did! Way to go!

Swim, bike, run, repeat. Set attainable goals. Don't let expectations from prior performance deter you.

I've been where you are, except for the smoking and 50lbs. For me it was only 40. I just put my TT bike back together. In 2021, I'll turn 65. So, I have a plan...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Kate - my advice would be ease back into it. It will suck while doing it, but slowly you'll remember how it makes you feel afterward; better than a cigarette or glass of wine can make you feel. Remember your old addiction: adrenalin, a nice ache in the legs, and knowing you did the work. Makes this your new drug of choice. Triathletes respect each other. We all have to finish the same course. Doesn't matter if you're fat, old, slow or disabled. All that matters is you are out there, you are at the starting line, getting through the damn course any way you can. Anyone who thinks otherwise is an eliteist that doesn't deserve to wear a number.

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Last edited by: Don_W: Dec 8, 18 1:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The refreshing honesty of your query made me cry. I am so proud of you, and your courage. I am 57, and understand your fight. Yes, it is a fight, and, frankly, I think you have already made the biggest step to getting back to where you want to be: ie, self-awareness. Move forward, no matter how slowly, one step at a time. Baby steps add up: you already know. For me, standing at a starting line of a race clears the fog. Please get to a starting line; maybe a 5K? Line up with thanks and praise in your mouth, and run as fast as you can. Thank you again for your lovely post. It applies to so many of us, to some degree.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kate,

Proud of you for posting - you may have just started the climb back!

KISS - just get started!! Ease back on the smoking/drinking. Get up and start going for walks every morning . . . just get moving. The only secret is do it everyday, everyday, everyday! Slow incremental progress. My theory, no matter where you are, is "'Consistent execution over time produces positive results."

Best wishes,

PS - Change you name on here the to something like "On The Road Back"

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nuts and bolts:

Your body is going to tolerate the bike and swimming while you are carrying around extra weight, so I would focus on that. You can "ride the bike" on a stationary trainer 5-7 days per week without getting hurt. You can swim every day with minimal injury risk.

At 50 pounds overweight, running carries a significant risk of injury, so I would minimize that training while you are getting back in to shape. You don't need a tremendous amount of running to do the finishing 5K if you have been doing the work in the other two sports.

Get a stationary trainer. Start utilizing the pools that are everywhere in Florida. Reduce your calories by a little bit and watch the weight drop off. No wine or tobacco.

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Last edited by: wannabefaster: Dec 9, 18 4:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Many good advices here and interesting story, i hope this time you grip to it !
+1 for priority on swim and bike, we're all fragile and running without injury require low weight and experience. Also you're certainly not old but not super young either and women tends to have even more problem with bones and articulation. So be careful with running go with small, slow chunks and be super progressive with running. Like Slowman i would go with a set of Hokas or a Hoka copy like they are plenty now.
Obviously stop on smoking and drinking, but i found that doing endurance sport is a good motivation for it because i can feel the effect of each cigarette and glass of wine in my running form so it motivates not to touch it.
Also really try to find partner, Slowman did articles on this some time ago and it's super important. You might do some indoor bike people, don't need to be the same level for that. You can surely find plenty other runner or swimmer with your actual level.
I will also quote Born to run "eat like a poor person", works very well, take only a week or two to be acustomed to eat a bit less and simpler.
Given your starting point you certainly don't need a training plan, just going out doing some sport, remove the toxics and you'll have quick progress.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, you got an instant fan in me from your post.

As far as encouraging words: just have fun. The weight will come off. Drop the cancer sticks. Keep the wine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kate,

I got a crazy idea.

If you have an extra bedroom, create winter training camp housing and host different slowtwitchers through the winter so they can escape the frosty northeast for their swims, bikes and runs. They'll drive your smoking outside and provide some enthusiasm/advise along the way. Just make some ground rules to abate stinky exercise clothes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To my dear Slowtwitch family,

It took me all these days to get back online and read your posts. I was afraid someone had said something shitty. Like the guy in the red pickup truck who hollered "sooeee" at me when I was running the trails in Cleveland years ago.

You made me cry.

Thank you all. :)

I recognize that I have fallen down into a deep hole of depression and anxiety and grief. My husband was an old disabled Vietnam-era Marine. He was my rock. When I went to Tempe to stand at the starting line of IMAZ in 2013, I had to cart him around in a wheelchair in the airport, at the hotel, to the course. I really really really had trained for that SOB. Hired an excellent coach, did the work. Honestly gave it my best shot.

I DNFd on the swim.

It killed my soul.

So I retreated into being T's nurse. And then he died.

Coming back to life has been something else. I wouldn't wish that journey on anyone.

Yet here I am. Living. Breathing. Somehow moving forward.

It's been five years. Time to move on.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, my good people.

I went to Planet Fitness at 6 am this morning and did planks (such as they were) and beat those stoopid ropes around (such as it was) with a trainer and a Mexican guy. We talked about the best way to chug Cabo Wabo. It was fun. It will hurt like hell tomorrow.

I have a Training Peaks plan, I have an Altra HR monitor, I have a keto plan. Two fake hips, broken-down bone-on-bone shoulders, a bad lumbar ... but no pain meds, normal BP and HR and glucose, says the doc.

The only thing stopping me is the grief and self-doubt lodged between my two ears. I started this thing 25 years ago at 330 pounds. The lard-ass I can handle. I know how to do it.

Onward. WTF.

May I please thank Fred Sommer in advance for holding the finish line open till the DFL old woman finally appears at the finish line next spring long after he wanted to dismantle the race.

Jeez. I love you guys. Your kindness overwhelms me.

Ahimsa. Blessings. See you at the finish line.

~~ kate
Last edited by: dreaming~big: Dec 10, 18 11:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you're on the right path. Just remember that its going to be as much mental as physical, if not more. I'm also 67, did triathlons for many years but did my last one six years ago. Still bike and swim regularly but hardly ever run. It's on my bucket list to make my come back in celebration of my 70th birthday only 2 1/2 yrs away. Maybe we'll see each other there. :-) Good luck and keep the faith.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome back :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A few years ago, I lost the 50 pounds that you are now having difficulty with.

This year, I DNF'd at a 1/2 Iron-distance before completing IM Cozumel in November, albeit at the BOP with LOTS of company ;-)

You can do this; help is out there. I hope you take advantage of it!

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply