Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crossing fingers we do the swim. I’ve been swimming Bonita Cove here in San Diego and it’s freezing in the mid 50’s.
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
At Santa Rosa 70.3 it was 5 riders every 10 seconds. They cleared everyone out in about 90min

Holy hell, so it started as a team time trial???

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
Geez. I guess I underestimated how fast they put people out. So much for my theory then.

Hey no! I like your theory, it's positive thinking.

Keep in mind that 3 second thing was just a decision by Gerry, who knows what this RD is thinking. As stated by Byrancd, there seem to be other methods... like team time trial starts (I hope that is not used again...ever)

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did this in Austin 70.3 a few years ago. Honestly, it was fine. For us, it was 2 riders every 5s I think. I didn't notice a huge difference between that and getting out of the water mid-pack.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
Bryancd wrote:
At Santa Rosa 70.3 it was 5 riders every 10 seconds. They cleared everyone out in about 90min

My least favorite IM experience to date. Not that I am the fastest cyclist in the world, but having a high bib number (35-39AG), they amount of slow people (mostly women) I had to pass and weave around was incredibly annoying.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [TriSpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriSpencer wrote:
hadukla wrote:
Bryancd wrote:

My least favorite IM experience to date. Not that I am the fastest cyclist in the world, but having a high bib number (35-39AG), they amount of slow people (mostly women) I had to pass and weave around was incredibly annoying.

Yeah, that happens with the time trial starts. I am just more surprised at how many cyclists started at once here, that's just drafting encouragement.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hope everyone here built up a great running base for this race, it couldn't be a more perfect prep for the real winter challenge!

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/2018/19_100_Runs_in_100_Days_Airing_of_the_Grievances_Thread_P6805982/

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there anyone there for the HITS race this morning? Looks like they had the full swim for half & full per facebook but can't confirm.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
Is there anyone there for the HITS race this morning? Looks like they had the full swim for half & full per facebook but can't confirm.

I saw the video of the start but not sure about distance.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In one of their replies on Facebook, they stated 60 degrees the day before. I think it's in one of the visitors posts
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [connan23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm going to rent a race wheelset, but which wheelset is suit best on this course? 404/808? or 808/808? I will use road bike. Lmk.
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [mynameiskory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's been quite a bit warmer in the LA area over the last 2 days. My pool was close to 58 degrees this morning. However, another cold front is coming through next week, so we'll see how things shape up.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [mynameiskory] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
60? You sure that was HITS staff? because HITS staff quoted 54 two days ago. No way it rises so fast.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Posted by the Facebook account
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don’t think that 54 reading was accurate but that’s mostly my opinion but the avg air temps in November arent low enough to get the water into the low 50s most years. Last year I thought someone said it was 65.
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [Gonefishin5555] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gonefishin5555 wrote:
I don’t think that 54 reading was accurate but that’s mostly my opinion but the avg air temps in November arent low enough to get the water into the low 50s most years. Last year I thought someone said it was 65.

Well good! Glad to hear! 60 is about Maine temps and definitely manageable

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the HITs half yesterday. They did not change the distance of any of the swims. We were told the water temp was 58 as we were getting in. It was not bad - a bit cold getting in but very manageable. I did the Olympic a few years ago and it was much colder then.
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [UK2SD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UK2SD wrote:
I did the HITs half yesterday. They did not change the distance of any of the swims. We were told the water temp was 58 as we were getting in. It was not bad - a bit cold getting in but very manageable. I did the Olympic a few years ago and it was much colder then.

Awesome, thanks! How was the rest of your race?

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was great. Weather was perfect yesterday - almost no wind which made for a great ride although it did get a bit hot on the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know this is probably a long shot but my wife and I are now looking for a place to stay/crash on the cheap for this weekend. We were planning on traveling/sleeping in our old converted camper van (pics in the link in my signature), but it turns out it needs a new clutch and we can't take it now. It seems like there is a good host on warmshowers (anyone know Bruce Cranston?) but since I just registered I can't actually send a message. Any leads? Cost is our first factor, aka we'll be setting up a tent somewhere worst case scenario, but we're open to anything.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From a Facebook post a few minutes ago:

Dear IRONMAN 70.3 Indian Wells La Quinta Athletes,

As you may be aware, over the last couple of weeks, the temperature in the Indian Wells – La Quinta area has been unseasonably cold.

As athlete safety is our paramount concern, IRONMAN officials are preparing for multiple scenarios should race morning require a change to the start of the race. At this time, we remain hopeful to begin the race as planned with the entire 1.2-mile swim, however, both a shortened swim course and a time trial bike start are potential options dependent on the conditions.

Should a change be necessary, you will be informed on race morning at the start.

We look forward to a great race day.

Your IRONMAN team

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thats funny as HITS just did the full distance swim last weekend. And the water is not unseasonably cold, it is seasonably cold, like it is each and every year. Gonna be funny if they cancel the swim one week after 4 other races were held in the same exact conditions...

And shame on all of you reading and racing, and thinking this is a good thing...)-;
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I did HITs last weekend and it wasn't as cold as the previous time I swam there in 2015. Estimate was 58 last week versus 52 in 2015, but that lake is always going to be cold in December.
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A little confused about your last sentence, what would we be thinking is a good thing?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A little confused about your last sentence, what would we be thinking is a good thing?

I would say well more than half the people in that race are quietly hoping the swim gets cancelled, and even more hope it gets shortened. That is what I mean..
Quote Reply

Prev Next