Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [trailerhouse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trailerhouse,

I actually made some custom bolts for my particular cradle (I broke a set last year, that was with the grub setup so it was limiting reach).

It is a "debate" as what causes the failure but I always recommend that regardless of which direction the pivot and grub screw is that you set the grub screw to the height that you want and than torque that bolt first and leave the other bolt loose. You then torque down the opposing bolt and recheck the original.

I have found that by setting the torque against the grub screw first allows/gives the bolt a better torque basis (pushing against a solid) vs trying to equalize torque between the two bolts and not getting quite right.
Last edited by: teddygram: Dec 3, 18 10:29
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [teddygram] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is good stuff. The SC has a very flexible fit configuration but reach to the end of the extensions is a definite weak link IMHO. In fact, measurement for reach to the end of the extensions is an important metric that's lacking for most super bikes. It's not such an issue with non-super bikes due to flexibility of choosing stems and extensions. I had trouble finding the mono plug in, and extended the grip portion with some aluminum tubing to get adequate reach.

When the pads are all the way forward as you show, the reach from the pads to the extensions is really way too short for anyone that's going to need their pads that far forward.

One other point to mention is that when the "grub screw" as you describe it is forward to gain maximum reach, you lose most of the upward tilt adjustment of the bar.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tttiltheend wrote:

One other point to mention is that when the "grub screw" as you describe it is forward to gain maximum reach, you lose most of the upward tilt adjustment of the bar.

I forgot to mention this in that post - there is a trick for that also!

I just snapped a photo to show what I am referring too. When you re-assemble the pivot base you have to be very cognizant as to reassembling it and hold the assembly forward to make sure the grub gets on the top shoulder and not down into the t-anchor hole. If you push/hold the assembly so the grub sits on the top shoulder it actually gives you a lot of tilt!

Here is a photo of what I mean with the "top" shoulder;

The photo above is barley any grub exposed or being used and you can see what it amplifies for tilt on some EVO 70's (uncut just on for mock up)

If you don't want any tilt at all you will drop the grub behind that shoulder and into the T-anchor hole
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I'll have to try that trick. You didn't happen to weigh the mono plug-in part? Not that it really matters but curious about the weight penalty for that setup.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tttiltheend wrote:
Thanks, I'll have to try that trick. You didn't happen to weigh the mono plug-in part? Not that it really matters but curious about the weight penalty for that setup.

I honestly do not have the proper kind of scale to measure those kinds of weights - I looked online and according to Trek the Ergo Long is 205grams where the plug in is 175 gram and the Evo Aluminum Extensions are 200 grams uncut (375 grams). That leaves roughly a difference of 170 grams between the two systems or .35lbs.

The Zipp Carbon Extensions are roughly 60grams lighter but I opted for the aluminum versions so I can mount my computer anywhere I want (the carbon extensions are ergo shaped) and also so I can drill a hole in it for cabling reasons (bike is currently mechanical).
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [MattAune] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone no what the max pad tilt angle is?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
About 15 degrees. There's a "hack" to get more but I'm not comfortable with it and thus won't share it as I don't think it's safe.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not a comment directly for you green....

But has anyone changed the aerobars from s bend to ski jump or vice versa? Anyone seen or heard of data one way or the other? I ha w the s bend but have a slight tilt up. I often wonder if I had originally got the ski jumps a with a tilt I might have been able to hide behind my hands a bit more
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're going for a mantis position I strongly suggest the plug-in extension and then just fiddle with reversing aluminum ski bends like these: https://ultimateuse.com/...inium-ski-extensions

The plug-in extension is a touch pricey but worth it IMO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IamSpartacus wrote:
Not a comment directly for you green....

But has anyone changed the aerobars from s bend to ski jump or vice versa? Anyone seen or heard of data one way or the other? I ha w the s bend but have a slight tilt up. I often wonder if I had originally got the ski jumps a with a tilt I might have been able to hide behind my hands a bit more

Here is what the mono looks like using Zipp 70 Evo's - the grub screw is close to maxed out and its on the "high" shoulder of the spacer. I am not sure what angle this is, Evo 110 make it even more dramatic.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
those bars look super comfy. And aero. My tilt isn't dramatic but I like the zipp evo's. I have di2, so unsure how messy the cables would get with them running out of behind the bars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok I will post a picture when I get home but here is the question:

I just got a new Project One SC a few weeks ago that is black with red highlights. It got dirty riding on wet roads so when I was cleaning it I flipped upside down and noticed on the bottom bracket was a picture of an SR-71 Blackbird. It wasn't a decal.....its in the paint. The SR-17 is a fast black plane with red highlights.

I don't know if that picture come with all new SC????? but it was a super cool touch by Trek.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Scottxs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pics or it didn’t happen.

It may be a P1 thing, but even so that’s very cool.

Developing aero, fit and other fun stuff at Red is Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [SkippyKitten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SkippyKitten wrote:

x2 show us that !!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SkippyKitten wrote:

Pics will come later today....at work now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's pretty sweet considering the Blackbird was probably the coolest military/skunkworks jet ever!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IamSpartacus wrote:
SkippyKitten wrote:

x2 show us that !!
Last edited by: Scottxs: Dec 7, 18 12:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, that rocks.

Sure you’ve got enough red? ;)

Developing aero, fit and other fun stuff at Red is Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very cool, I'll have to take a look at my new P1, I went with a bit more subdued / stealth approach for my color scheme - there may a picture of a sloth or turtle I haven't noticed yet.

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SkippyKitten wrote:
Yeah, that rocks.

Sure you’ve got enough red? ;)

When your MOP you have to get noticed some how. LOL
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Fuller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fuller wrote:
Very cool, I'll have to take a look at my new P1, I went with a bit more subdued / stealth approach for my color scheme - there may a picture of a sloth or turtle I haven't noticed yet.

Ok now that's funny!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I got my Project One frameset in April 2018. No hidden gems on the frame. slightly sad.

I like the jet on yours. Lucky.

Not everything is as it seems -Mr. Miyagi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a side note how do U find the 808 handlings the front.
Wish I had a jet .... I just have a superglued speed fin under there
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any interest is selling a couple of sets of those custom cradle bolts? Stainless?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [sommer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You actually don't want stainless. While it's corrosive resistant the strength is about 3x lower than regular steel. If you want strength then get 12.9 alloy steel which is pretty much what the factory bolts are. Maybe cover them with tape to protect them from sweat or use some corrosion protection like the WD40 brand or similar. If you go back to the 2014 speed concept thread you'll see that's what Carl recommended as replacement bolts for the bars.

sommer wrote:
Any interest is selling a couple of sets of those custom cradle bolts? Stainless?

What's your CdA?
Last edited by: trailerhouse: Dec 7, 18 18:04
Quote Reply

Prev Next