Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Running power with Garmin's RD Pod (and Fenix 5)
Quote | Reply
Hey guys -

Picked up an RD pod for fun and did my first run last night. During the run I could see my lap power and average power (just to see how it worked). During the run I saw both fields displaying data - didn't really pay attention as it was a short run and I wouldn't know what that meant for me anyways.

But when I looked in Training Peaks I didn't see any power data. I went to Garmin Connect and saw all the running analytics but no power data. I downloaded the file and didn't see any in there (online converter from .fit to .csv).

What did I do wrong?

This morning I swapped one field over to running power from average running power - does that matter? Does the running power only record the data to the .fit file? Is there an option somewhere I need to turn on so that the power data records? Anything I need to do to get that into TP?

Any thoughts/insights appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Running power with Garmin's RD Pod (and Fenix 5) [Jnags7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://titaniumgeek.com/garmin-running-dynamics-pod-review/

according to this link you have to download a data field, it also says you can get the same info out of a hrm-tri strap and hrm-run strap. i will find out about that this weekend.
Quote Reply
Re: Running power with Garmin's RD Pod (and Fenix 5) [ckelly22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I downloaded 3 data fields. It showed it. Didn’t record it.

I’ll read the link later.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been running with the Garmin power in my dynamics for two months now...no clue how to use it.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Running power with Garmin's RD Pod (and Fenix 5) [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm guessing that I need the running power data field added. I didn't have that but two other power fields. I will try my next run with the running power field active and see what happens. Anything I find or read online is just like "and there's your power" but for me, it's not. No specific steps on how to get it saved to the .fit file.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it's supposed to save automatically...it was a complicated process when it came to adding the data field. At least it felt like that.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah it looks like you need the running power data field, but if you look under the reviews for that data field on garmin connect there are some complaints about pairing it with the fenix 5.
Quote Reply
Re: Running power with Garmin's RD Pod (and Fenix 5) [ckelly22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep. Running power data field did it! No issues connecting but Garmin only allows 2 IQ’s. So I have power (useless field to see when running) and lap power. I would really rather see average over instantaneous power. No one looks at instantaneous power on the bike because it’s too hard to follow. Need a 3, 30 sec averaging. Oh well. Not end of world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was going to try it with my hrm-tri strap today. I’m with you, if it doesn’t show average it’s useless to me also.
Quote Reply