Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

70.3 Muncie vs 70.3 Ohio
Quote | Reply
Trying to decide which race to do. Both are around the same time of the year and around the same driving distance. Which race does everyone prefer? What are the pros and cons of each race?
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Muncie vs 70.3 Ohio [bttri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On one hand you're stuck in the middle of Indiana. On the other hand, you're stuck LIMA, Ohio. It's a shame that you can't use the weather as an eliminator either. Hot as balls or hot as balls?

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did Muncie once. It is flat and boring with a turn around in the middle of the road for the bike (I prefer loops). There also isn't much in terms of local attractions. Otherwise, the course was well marked, the roads were great, and the support crew were solid.

If you hate hills and just want to race, Muncie could be a good choice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have not done Muncie but I loved the Ohio race. The roads were in great condition and the race had great local energy. Highly recommend this race. Doing it again this summer.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Muncie vs 70.3 Ohio [Erniebird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have done both. Both are pancake flat. More to do in Ohio by a very slim margin. Turn around on bike in Muncie was a pain.
I’d do either again, but would sway towards Ohio. Wife was with me in Ohio, but not Muncie. So I can’t even ask her.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Muncie vs 70.3 Ohio [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Race is not in Lima, it is in Delaware (which is Columbus)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did both last year, Muncie for the 2nd time.

The temps were pretty warm, so not WS legal.
The park for the Ohio swim is kinda pretty. When we got there race morning there was a fog over the lake, but didn’t last long. Also, there were some tents at the park, don’t know if racers, volunteers or both took advantage of that, but it’s a good idea. The Ohio lake was slightly more wavy than Muncie due to some wind.
Re Ohio, to get to the lake in the morning there are shuttle buses or you can have someone drop you off. We opted for the shuttle and Route 23 was very backed up. By the time we got to the transition they announced the closing of the transition area in a few minutes. That’s not the fault of the race, just an fyi.
The nice thing re Muncie is its all right there. Ample parking.
I loved the bike course at Ohio. Flat, one big loop, nice roads, very quiet except for the racers. As mentioned Muncie is a multiple loop course, but pretty flat as well.
IMO the run courses were about the the same. Some inclines, but Ohio is a loop, Muncie out and back. The temps were up there at both.

If I had to chose I would pick Ohio. More to do in the town, finishing in the stadium was neat, and a friend said we could crash at her place (close to the lake) next time....but with Muncie being pretty close to me, I may register at the last minute like last year.

Side note at Ohio. ...one guy was in the swim line with Sim shorts on. The official told him to take them off. He said he’s nude underneath. She sent him to the wet suit wave.
Quote Reply
Re: 70.3 Muncie vs 70.3 Ohio [pvolb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Race is not in Lima, it is in Delaware
---

Not Lima, LIMA. LIMA= Lost In Middle America

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
---

Ha I thought you were referring to city too..

But my vote Ohio. The 2 transition kind of sucks but I enjoyed the race a lot.

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done both (Muncie in 2018, Ohio in '17), and if I had to do one again, would choose Ohio.

Both have the con of being in the dead middle of the summer, so heat was an issue at both races.
On the flip-side, crowd support was fantastic at both- both communities really come out and support on raceday.

Neither swim was wetsuit legal- the water temperature in Muncie was up in the 80's and one of the warmest swims I've ever done; in Ohio the water temp jumped up and down all week until race morning when they took it and it was just barely over the limit.

Ohio is a point-to-point bike course, and is a little more logistically challenging if you've never done one. T1 is at the park where the lake is, T2 is in the stadium where you finish the bike course. Both bike courses are pancake flat. Muncie is on a closed course, Ohio's bike course is open to traffic the whole way until you get to the very end and jump onto a MUP near the stadium. The only part where it can get hairy is near the end as you come back into the city of Delaware; otherwise its mostly farms and there isn't really a lot of traffic.

Both run courses are also pretty flat, but Ohio has a small hill on the back of the loop part of the run course. Neither of them boasts a ton of shade from the summer sun.

Finishing on the track in the stadium in Delaware is pretty cool. Muncie had way better food at the finish line though.

Ultimately, I'd pick Ohio again because of: there is more to do in and around Delaware than Muncie, the possibility of wearing a wetsuit for the swim is greater, I thought the bike course was more scenic and enjoyable, and finishing in the stadium was pretty unique, at least for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do both and throw in Steelhead for the Midwest hat trick! Z
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
---

That is hilarious!!! :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did Ohio and loved it. The fact that it has two transitions caused me some stress, but it wasn't so bad once you figured out what went where. The bike course is very flat, straight and on smooth roads. The run is a little hilly, but nothing terrible. The stadium finish is fun and Delaware is a cool town. I'll do this one every year that I can.
Quote Reply