Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IMAZ took how long to sell out in prior years? Context... rolling start has hurt it's desire. [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That IMFL start was really clean. Probably my favorite long-distance swim start I've done. That course was really tailor-made for that kind of start.

I think it's really dependent on the course as to how they manage the start. IMLP has had the controlled release in small batches like Haines City this year, but it has also seen 100+ released at a time in 30 second bunches as well.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ took how long to sell out in prior years? Context... rolling start has hurt it's desire. [Taugen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Taugen wrote:
Yea, I sure miss those......IMAZ, IMWI, IMFL, IM Kona...... The scrum was part of the fun; sometimes fun, others ugly but always pretty damn cool. Today's races seem anticlimactic, especially Kona with the multiple starts.

THIS, exactly^^^^

Bring back the mass start!![/quote]
YES! I've done the mass starts @ AZ, WI, LP, STG, and Kona. Nearly drowned at AZ in '11 because I lined up incorrectly (my bad). IMLP was the tightest start line but I still found clean water all the way down to the first turn buoy all three times I competed there. Wisconsin was the easiest to find a clean line (5 times). The first left turn at both those venues is tough but you can always swim wide to avoid the scrum. If we hadn't done the mass start at STG they would have cancelled the swim because the wind storm hit shortly after everyone started (I was happy to swim next to someone during that event). I didn't get touched once in Kona because I lined up DFL - my choice. I vote for bringing them all back: it's a BIG part of the Ironman experience and it should not be missed.
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ took how long to sell out in prior years? [zoom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is the number of American finishers (IM+HIM) for the last 8 years

79,589 2018 (so far)
84,538 2017
79,541 2016
78,778 2015
74,773 2014
65,981 2013
68,103 2012
64,640 2011
58,404 2010

Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ took how long to sell out in prior years? [obsessedironman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Define American finishers ...

U.S citizens doing any IMs on the planet?
U.S citizens doing any IMs on U.S soil?
Number of people doing IMs on U.S soil, including foreign nationals who flew in?

Are those numbers distinct individuals? If I did 20 in a year, am I counted as 20 in the stats?

obsessedironman wrote:

79,589 2018 (so far)
84,538 2017
79,541 2016
78,778 2015
74,773 2014
65,981 2013
68,103 2012
64,640 2011
58,404 2010

Last edited by: zoom: Nov 28, 18 11:20
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ took how long to sell out in prior years? [obsessedironman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
obsessedironman wrote:

79,589 2018 (so far)
84,538 2017
79,541 2016
78,778 2015
74,773 2014
65,981 2013
68,103 2012
64,640 2011
58,404 2010

Thanks for chiming in!! I'd be more curious of this split between IM & 70.3, my guess based on your stats page is that 70.3 growth is supporting the combined growth

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zoom wrote:
Define American finishers ...

U.S citizens doing any IMs on the planet?
U.S citizens doing any IMs on U.S soil?
Number of people doing IMs on U.S soil, including foreign nationals who flew in?

Are those numbers distinct individuals? If I did 20 in a year, am I counted as 20 in the stats?

obsessedironman wrote:

79,589 2018 (so far)
84,538 2017
79,541 2016
78,778 2015
74,773 2014
65,981 2013
68,103 2012
64,640 2011
58,404 2010

My guess is he is referring to those who self-selected their nationality/country of representation in the registration which is data easily pulled from their available data.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ took how long to sell out in prior years? Context... rolling start has hurt it's desire. [ggeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ggeiger wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
ggeiger wrote:

Exactly. Dumb it down for the lowest common denominator who chooses not to be able to swim well. Funny how in the old days once people got swam over once they did not start so far forward the next race. Instead of letting things sort themselves out, they try and legislate to make it fair and end up making it harder to actually compete against one's peers. While they have expanded to venues not capable of the crowds they now attract, many (including IMWI, IMFL, Kona, IMAZ) could easily still employ a mass start and be as safe as they are now. I was at IMWI and by not having the swimmers able to enter early and get used to the water and find their spot, it was worse from my view.

How much do you know about composite risk management? None, I'm gonna guess. I'll betcha 100% that their insurance company told them they needed to reduce risk and that a rolling start was one of the things on the table that they were required to execute.

I’m sure you may be right. Too many lawyers in the mix, but the country we live in. Reducing risk does not mean it’s a good idea, just covering one’s ass. From the rolling starts I’ve observed there seems to be even more panic among the far back of the packers. Again, an issue that was not an issue when people actually prepared for what they committed to.
You can't say that for every race in every venue. On top of that, in the "old days" there might have been several hundred racers as opposed to 2000-3000 in some places at the peak. That makes a huge difference in the viability of a mass start.

Coeur d'Alene back in 2011 was one of the roughest mass starts I've raced, with a relatively narrow (running) beach start. I come from a water polo background and I still found that borderline dangerous. Other races like IMC in Penticton were completely reasonable with a huge wide area to handle all the swim participants. I also think deep water mass starts are somewhat more calm than running beach starts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That’s anyone with USA as their country.
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ took how long to sell out in prior years? Context... rolling start has hurt it's desire. [TJ56] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I started doing IMs in 2007 at AZ, all races were mass starts. In fact, every race (except Louisville) I did from 2007 up until the rolling start was implemented, was a mass start race. Yes, mass starts were chaotic, rucks/scrums (whichever you call it), but they were fun and you knew exactly where you stood in the race once you were on dry land.
I get the idea about safety and insurance for the rolling starts, but I would love to see mass starts brought back. I totally agree with the idea of having both at races. Mass start for those who want and sign a waiver, and a rolling for those who want that. This concept is already somewhat followed for wetsuit optional starts.

Team Zoot-Texas, and Pickle Juice
Last edited by: Taugen: Nov 28, 18 12:51
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ took how long to sell out in prior years? Context... rolling start has hurt it's desire. [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just went through the entry process.

$850 entry
$979.17 total charge

Tax, fees, etc are about $120. I guess the person on Pathetic Tri Facebook lumped all charges, costs together.
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ took how long to sell out in prior years? Context... rolling start has hurt it's desire. [Tri-Bum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, that's the true cost of an Ironman...not what's going to WTC...

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Last edited by: TheStroBro: Nov 28, 18 18:23
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ took how long to sell out in prior years? Context... rolling start has hurt it's desire. [Tri-Bum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thx. Yes, that would have to include the active.com gouge, but still. I've never had to pay a state or country tax for any of the IMs I've done. I'm glad I did Arizona before the state got greedy. Add in hotel and sales taxes on peoples stay and spending and that race has become a golden goose for the state.
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ took how long to sell out in prior years? Context... rolling start has hurt it's desire. [Taugen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A waiver isn't going to solve the insurance problem.

The ship has sailed, folks. The mass start isn't coming back.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ took how long to sell out in prior years? Context... rolling start has hurt it's desire. [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rrheisler wrote:

It's still available for those who will put their money where their mouth is and do Ironman Lanzerote. Here's the 2018 swim start: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YngSli89MFw
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ took how long to sell out in prior years? Context... rolling start has hurt it's desire. [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
rrheisler wrote:

It's still available for those who will put their money where their mouth is and do Ironman Lanzerote. Here's the 2018 swim start: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YngSli89MFw

And IMNZ.
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ took how long to sell out in prior years? Context... rolling start has hurt it's desire. [woof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't read the whole thread, but this first post is non sequitur.
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ took how long to sell out in prior years? Context... rolling start has hurt it's desire. [woof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like it’s sold out now. I looked last weekend and it was still open at Tier 4. So it took maybe about a week this year?

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ took how long to sell out in prior years? Context... rolling start has hurt it's desire. [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a friend sign up Monday so sounds like it. Ironman has no reason to not continue increasing prices here, if it sells out in 1 hour or 1 month it makes little difference.
Quote Reply
Re: IMAZ took how long to sell out in prior years? Context... rolling start has hurt it's desire. [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OMG...an Ironman takes a week to sell out...I seriously don't get this thread lol.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply

Prev Next