Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Texas almost full
Quote | Reply
There was a message today on their FB page about having only 150 slots left. I took one of them.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Texas almost full [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CCF wrote:
There was a message today on their FB page about having only 150 slots left. I took one of them.

140.6?
Quote Reply
Re: Texas almost full [cricket1116] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it's actually 139.1, but yes.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations. I did as well. Bought the insurance as I am still unsure if I can make it. Worse case I am out $90.00. This will be first early season IM so pretty excited about the build over winter instead of summer.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: Texas almost full [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Other than the extra slots and early date, I’m not sure what makes this race popular. Crappy swim, draft fest bike course and nondescript residential run course. It makes me think there should be another early season race in somewhere like FL or SoCal.
Quote Reply
Re: Texas almost full [Poon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree on another option for early season race in the US. Seems like an opportunity for Ironman. I have never signed up for this race because of all the negative post that I have read about it. There are positive posts as well though. My Ironman races consist of the same race. Two friends of mine is racing IMTX and I want to do something different this year. I am sure they will have the drafting under control.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not surprised. Everyone is excited to draft their way to crazy fast splits on no watts!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Poon wrote:
Other than the extra slots and early date, I’m not sure what makes this race popular. Crappy swim, draft fest bike course and nondescript residential run course. It makes me think there should be another early season race in somewhere like FL or SoCal.

Oh please, yes!
Quote Reply
Re: Texas almost full [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
Not surprised. Everyone is excited to draft their way to crazy fast splits on no watts!

This didn't actually need the pink...
Quote Reply
Re: Texas almost full [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Makes sense why IM does nothing to counter drafting, they dont need to. This joke selling out so early after last year is proof.
Quote Reply
Re: Texas almost full [ntc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This will be my first time doing IMTX. I am just trying to get in my last 3 Ironmans this year, so I can be eligible for a legacy spot.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Poon wrote:

Yeah, I don't disagree. Honestly I was really on the fence about this event. But it came down to the fact that I want to do an IM on 2019 and this is the only race that fits in with my other plans (which I could detail here, but I have to assume you don't care, since, you know, I'm just a random guy on the internet whom you don't actually know). I'm just hoping that

(1) The swim doesn't get canceled or something of the sort
(2) Either the race or the competitors do at least a little something to clear up the drafting

At the end of the day I'm not as concerned about the drafting because I know that I'm going to ride as cleanly as humanly possible, and I wouldn't take a kona slot even if it were offered, so I'm not worried about drafters 'taking' anything from me.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think most people perceive IMTX as an "easier" IM with the small elevation change. So you probably have more one and done athletes from out of town. But San Antonio, DFW, Houston, and New Orleans are all within a few hours drive of the race. That makes it very similar to a race like IMAZ which capitalizes on being the only IM that's driving distance away from SoCal and Vegas (maybe a case can be made for IMSR).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Poon wrote:

To be fair it was really only a draft-fest bike last year when the sheriff's department prevented the race officials from going out on the course. In year's past it's been relatively clean or should I say no more "drafty" than any other race. The original bike course was actually pretty clean but got axed due to political issues.

The swim is the swim. They are all basically boring and suck. I think the only one I ever remotely enjoyed with the old IM Canada swim.

I do think the run course through the waterway section is pretty fun though.
Quote Reply
Re: Texas almost full [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The swim in Penticton was rad. You should check out the NEW IM Canada swim. I don't think I've ever seen a swim venue that beautiful. Pristine lake with the mountains rising right above it, that's hard to beat. Of course, that's true of just about everything in Whistler (MTB trails, lakes, bike park, god I love that bike park, ...).

Quote Reply