Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Argon 18 E119 tri+ VS Felt IA2 VS Canyon Speedmax CF SLX 8.0
Quote | Reply
Any advice between these 3 bikes? What would be the best buy? I'm doing a few 70.3 and Olympic distance a year. Some with a bit of climbing and fast downhill.
Quote Reply
Re: Argon 18 E119 tri+ VS Felt IA2 VS Canyon Speedmax CF SLX 8.0 [JFGOTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aestethically I like the canyon... Don't like the argon seat post box.

I would see which ones are easiest to disassemble and reassemble for your travels.
Quote Reply
Re: Argon 18 E119 tri+ VS Felt IA2 VS Canyon Speedmax CF SLX 8.0 [JFGOTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have pad x/y coords that you are confident in?

Most important would be to get a bike that you fit well on and with room for adjustment in both pad stack and reach. E.g. the Canyons can go quite a bit longer / lower than the Felts when I was looking at similar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you in the united states? If so getting a slx is next to impossible and should be factored into your decision.

IG -frebay | Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Argon 18 E119 tri+ VS Felt IA2 VS Canyon Speedmax CF SLX 8.0 [nchen777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I like the Canyon also. I think no one uses the seat post box on Argon 18. For assembly I have no idea on the 3 bikes. But, would travel with it.
Quote Reply
Re: Argon 18 E119 tri+ VS Felt IA2 VS Canyon Speedmax CF SLX 8.0 [Yellow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 5'9" and 3/4, about 177cm. I know I was pretty confortable on the Argon 18 medium. Top tube lenght is 515mm on this size. I don't know what would be a good size for me on Canyon CF SLX?
Quote Reply
Re: Argon 18 E119 tri+ VS Felt IA2 VS Canyon Speedmax CF SLX 8.0 [frebay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
frebay wrote:
Are you in the united states? If so getting a slx is next to impossible and should be factored into your decision.

I'm waiting to see availability. But not sure on size with Canyon CF SLX. On their website with my measurement it says Small but I think it might be not the proper size?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd really strongly recommend getting a pre-purchase bike fit from a fitter with a good reputation. There is a current article series on some via the homepage.

One of the big reasons to spend the extra $ on one of the top end bikes vs something more affordable is for the incremental speed it (might) help you achieve. A decent bike fit should leave you more comfortable, with better muscle engagement (=more power possible) and in a more aerodynamic position. Almost certainly better in speed/$ than the bike unless you managed to fit yourself to something really well already (personally, I was nowhere near). The other major benefit is you then have the fit coords to understand your bike purchase and know that you have room for adjustment in the future. Certainly I would be disappointed to spend that kind of money on a bike then realise you had bought the wrong size... Basically all the top end bikes are less adjustable than their more affordable versions - fully integrated stems and front ends makes this harder.

In my case, (181cm, long limbs), I bought a size L Canyon Speedmax CF SLX and have 20-25mm adjustment in all directions. I could also ride a size M in a different front end configuration. I could also have bought and fitted a Trek Speed Concept, or a Cervelo P3 (can change the bars / stem easily). A Specialized Shiv, Scott Plasma and the Felt IA were all too short/tall. Having just checked the Argon18 would (just) fit me but I would on the absolute maximum reach possible and no scope to increase. YMMV
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Felt IA16 that I have massively upgraded so much that the only remaining original parts are the frame and seatpost. So, effectively, it is an IA10+.

I love my Felt iA. But, if I were buying a bike today, I would get a Canyon. I think those are great looking and offer the best value for the performance.

Not on your list that I would also consider is the Premier Tactical.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JFGOTRI wrote:
I'm 5'9" and 3/4, about 177cm. I know I was pretty confortable on the Argon 18 medium. Top tube lenght is 515mm on this size. I don't know what would be a good size for me on Canyon CF SLX?

I have a 119 and 119tri+. The box at the back is great for training. It can be removed in a few seconds and is neutral from an aero perspective. Their data shows it, my data is the same.

Personally I don't like the hydration option on the tri+. I also replaced the bento with one that zips closed. Since the big difference between the regular 119 and 119+ is those accessories (and a slight carbon difference), it's not obvious to me the price difference is worth it. I personally think the 119 is better value. Very much a personal opinion.

I have not seen 119 to Canyon aero comparisons. I have seen P5 to 119 and the 119 does very well. So if a P5 is faster than a canyon, pretty safe to assume the 119 is.

I travel a lot with my bike and the 119 travels well.
Quote Reply
Re: Argon 18 E119 tri+ VS Felt IA2 VS Canyon Speedmax CF SLX 8.0 [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
JFGOTRI wrote:

I have a 119 and 119tri+. The box at the back is great for training. It can be removed in a few seconds and is neutral from an aero perspective. Their data shows it, my data is the same.

Personally I don't like the hydration option on the tri+. I also replaced the bento with one that zips closed. Since the big difference between the regular 119 and 119+ is those accessories (and a slight carbon difference), it's not obvious to me the price difference is worth it. I personally think the 119 is better value. Very much a personal opinion.

I have not seen 119 to Canyon aero comparisons. I have seen P5 to 119 and the 119 does very well. So if a P5 is faster than a canyon, pretty safe to assume the 119 is.

Terenzo Bozzone recently broke a course record at the IM west Aussie on the argon18
https://www.argon18bike.com/...an-Western-Australia
I’ve owned 2 argons, both were superb bikes

res, non verba
Quote Reply
Re: Argon 18 E119 tri+ VS Felt IA2 VS Canyon Speedmax CF SLX 8.0 [Yellow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yellow wrote:
I'd really strongly recommend getting a pre-purchase bike fit from a fitter with a good reputation. There is a current article series on some via the homepage.

One of the big reasons to spend the extra $ on one of the top end bikes vs something more affordable is for the incremental speed it (might) help you achieve. A decent bike fit should leave you more comfortable, with better muscle engagement (=more power possible) and in a more aerodynamic position. Almost certainly better in speed/$ than the bike unless you managed to fit yourself to something really well already (personally, I was nowhere near). The other major benefit is you then have the fit coords to understand your bike purchase and know that you have room for adjustment in the future. Certainly I would be disappointed to spend that kind of money on a bike then realise you had bought the wrong size... Basically all the top end bikes are less adjustable than their more affordable versions - fully integrated stems and front ends makes this harder.

In my case, (181cm, long limbs), I bought a size L Canyon Speedmax CF SLX and have 20-25mm adjustment in all directions. I could also ride a size M in a different front end configuration. I could also have bought and fitted a Trek Speed Concept, or a Cervelo P3 (can change the bars / stem easily). A Specialized Shiv, Scott Plasma and the Felt IA were all too short/tall. Having just checked the Argon18 would (just) fit me but I would on the absolute maximum reach possible and no scope to increase. YMMV

Yellow, I was planning to get a bike fit after the purchase. I have already had a bike fit on my Venge. I tought I couldn't use my bike measurements because it's not on a TT frame? Can I use my actual fit to see what size would be good?
Quote Reply
Re: Argon 18 E119 tri+ VS Felt IA2 VS Canyon Speedmax CF SLX 8.0 [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
I have a Felt IA16 that I have massively upgraded so much that the only remaining original parts are the frame and seatpost. So, effectively, it is an IA10+.

I love my Felt iA. But, if I were buying a bike today, I would get a Canyon. I think those are great looking and offer the best value for the performance.

Not on your list that I would also consider is the Premier Tactical.

Thanks for the feedback
Quote Reply
Re: Argon 18 E119 tri+ VS Felt IA2 VS Canyon Speedmax CF SLX 8.0 [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
JFGOTRI wrote:

A P5 is faster than a Canyon? Where did you got this info? you are talking a P5 or a P5X?
Quote Reply
Re: Argon 18 E119 tri+ VS Felt IA2 VS Canyon Speedmax CF SLX 8.0 [RoYe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RoYe wrote:
marcag wrote:
JFGOTRI wrote:

Thanks for the feedback RoYe!

Terenzo Bozzone recently broke a course record at the IM west Aussie on the argon18
https://www.argon18bike.com/...an-Western-Australia
I’ve owned 2 argons, both were superb bikes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd expect you ride a different position between road bike and TT/tri bike, so the numbers are unlikely to translate.

Pre-purchase the fitter would use a fit-bike, the readings are read off and then the fitter should be able to say which brand and sizes of bike are good options for you so you can get set up in exactly the same position (and perhaps even the exact combinations of spacers etc required).

You can obviously do the fit post purchase, but you would need to guess your approximate fit first. I did that with my first TT bike and ended up needing a 130mm stem, the handling was very slow and I should have been on a bigger frame, but it did "fit". Bikes with integrated front ends often allow less adjustment than when could choose a stem anywhere between 60 and 140mm and move the pads around. Of the three bikes for an approx given height, the Felt is the shortest, the Canyon the longest and the Argon18 somewhere in the middle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JFGOTRI wrote:

A P5 is faster than a Canyon? Where did you got this info? you are talking a P5 or a P5X?

I based it on Desert Dude's comments that the Canyon tested slower than Tactical that tested slower than P5
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just bought the E-119 and added the + seatpost and tailwind box to my set up. The ride on it is great.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yellow wrote:
I'd expect you ride a different position between road bike and TT/tri bike, so the numbers are unlikely to translate.

Pre-purchase the fitter would use a fit-bike, the readings are read off and then the fitter should be able to say which brand and sizes of bike are good options for you so you can get set up in exactly the same position (and perhaps even the exact combinations of spacers etc required).

You can obviously do the fit post purchase, but you would need to guess your approximate fit first. I did that with my first TT bike and ended up needing a 130mm stem, the handling was very slow and I should have been on a bigger frame, but it did "fit". Bikes with integrated front ends often allow less adjustment than when could choose a stem anywhere between 60 and 140mm and move the pads around. Of the three bikes for an approx given height, the Felt is the shortest, the Canyon the longest and the Argon18 somewhere in the middle.

Thanks Yellow, very helpfull!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
JFGOTRI wrote:

I based it on Desert Dude's comments that the Canyon tested slower than Tactical that tested slower than P5

I'll check this out... don't know Desert Dude's. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Argon 18 E119 tri+ VS Felt IA2 VS Canyon Speedmax CF SLX 8.0 [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
I just bought the E-119 and added the + seatpost and tailwind box to my set up. The ride on it is great.

Good choice for the seat post. It allows more adjustments... Thanks
Quote Reply