Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Can you make this set? [tallswimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tallswimmer wrote:
In college we started on 1:30 SCY. the first 20 or so were boring, the next 5-6 were solid, and the last 10 or so were hell. I think i missed on 0:54 or 0:55 a couple of times, which is pushing a 4:45 last 500.

To the OP- now I could do that set SCM, maybe adding on 3@1:15 on a good day, and I've swum a couple half distance swims no wetsuit at 27:00. I only swim about 2.5k meters 2x per week these days though...

We did the same thing as a test set. (we trained in SCY). I think my best was that I failed on the 58. Tough set. Not sure if you did it the same way, but we all started together and as you missed you got out of the pool. That year our good D swimmers had graduated, so I was the closest thing to a D guy on the menā€™s side. I was the last man standing that year.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Can you make this set? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah everyone started together, and when you missed, you had to do 50's fly on 1:30 or something. I did it 3 times maybe, and was either last or 2nd to last standing each time.

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Re: Can you make this set? [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes I used to make that set 3 years ago in prep for 2015 IMCDA. I swam 28:30 half point split of a 58:30 IM swim time that day. I had my best race to date than in 108F. (58:30 is average 1:20/100y- gives you an idea that if you can swim 1:20/100y all day long, you can actually make that set holding 1:12-1:10 for the@1:20 part....)
I swam 3 IMs all were 60min or less- wetsuit though sleeveless. I have had many 30min wetsuit half swims, and several 29min or less.
I was never a swimmer. I started swimming at the age of 37 as a triathlete. I do coach club swimming for living.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And the verdict - I exploded on the 1:20s. 10th was 1:18, 11th was 1:19. Left on 2:00 and swam the final one in 1:13.

I'm a 19:XX-21:XX Olympic, 28:XX-31:XX 70.3 swimmer. Usually dependent on whether I make a group or swim by myself.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I couldn't make that set.... but I'll give it a try! I suspect i'd fall apart near the end of the 1:25s, maybe hit the first 1:20 if I was having the swim of my life. I have been hitting 32-33 this past year in 70.3

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where are the 3 on 1:35? Kidding aside, it's been a long time since doing a descending interval set to failure.

I'll see how it goes tomorrow, 3@ 1:40/35/30/25/20/15 .. 10? Gasp.

Regarding OWS times.. I "can go" 19~/26~, comfy would be 20+/28 .. wetsuited.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I could do that set in scm too.

Slightly ahead of Jason at Muncie this past yr, & a 54m & 58m Ironman swim this yr, both with wetsuit & neither were current aided. My fastest 70.3 was a current aided wetsuit swim at 25 minutes, & although I havenā€™t done an Olympic in years with a wetsuit Iā€™ve been sub 21 at Nationals & Worlds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This would be incredibly easy. I've done 4200scy broken but essentially leaving on 1:20/100 for the entire thing.

Also, the way you word things is odd to me... if I have a set leaving on 1:20, I still rest. It might only be 10 seconds but there is rest at the wall.

I never push the pace in a 70.3, so roughly 27:00 and 54:30 for a full.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I could make this set and probably repeat the set a few times. A few years ago, I showed up to NOVA Masters Triple-Crown Part 3, a 100x100scy on the 1:20. I got through 33 before failure and had to throw some 75s in every 3rd or 4th after that.
My back/hip issue wonā€™t let me flip turn now, but pretty sure I could still get through this challenge. This month Iā€™ll be swimming a straight 5000 hopefully in lcm, as it is a requirement to beat 1:40 and then for seeding purposes for next yearā€™s Portland Bridge Swim ā€“ an 11 miler in the Willamette River. Two years ago, I was 11th OA in like 4:34, about :45 off the fastest swimmers there. Looking to better that, even though Iā€™m 63 now.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is the hardest set I have done.
4x100 scy - leave on 1:45
4x100 scy - leave on 1:40
4x100 scy - leave on 1:35
4x100 scy - leave on 1:30

30 seconds between each set.
I still shudder thinking about that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In high school and college I made 100x100 on 1:05 for 3 consecutive years (pre-holidays torture set). Averaged about 1:01 on each 100, then rinse and repeat. It was more boring than a 3 hour trainer ride.

Now (15 years later) I could probably do your set down to 1:05 for 3 of them (depends on the day)

I'm generally swimming 25:xx and 53:xx in HIM and IM races

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Can you make this set? [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:
This would be incredibly easy. I've done 4200scy broken but essentially leaving on 1:20/100 for the entire thing.

Also, the way you word things is odd to me... if I have a set leaving on 1:20, I still rest. It might only be 10 seconds but there is rest at the wall.

Sorry - still trying to master swim lingo. I mean leaving on the 1:40, 1:30, etc. I did a 1:23 for my first which mean :17 rest (whoops).

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:

Sorry - still trying to master swim lingo. I mean leaving on the 1:40, 1:30, etc. I did a 1:23 for my first which mean :17 rest (whoops).

You had it right. By ā€œno extra restā€ I take that to mean you went straight from one group of 3x100 to the next, with no additional recovery beyond what the interval naturally gives you.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Many moons ago I was working up to a 20x100 on the 115 and I used to do a set like this as a sort of progression set. Basically 4x130 (120-125), 4x125 (116-122), 4x120 (116-119), into 20x on the 115 (112-114). I'm in whatever pack there is and that dictates the times but usually around 24 mid. This was always done without flippys as well.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Can you make this set? [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:

the way you word things is odd to me... if I have a set leaving on 1:20, I still rest. It might only be 10 seconds but there is rest at the wall.

I understood it to mean no extra rest between the groups of three; that it's a single 12x100 set, not four sets of 3x100. ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ

Anyway, yes, I could make it. That would be pretty close to my capacity, however. If the set extended, I could maybe eek out one at 1:15 on a good day, but wouldn't make it to 3. I've never done a HIM, but I'm a 30 to 31 minute 1.2 mile OW racer (fresh water, no wetsuit). Would probably go ~3-4 sec/100 slower for a HIM opener, so somewhere in the 32's?

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Dec 5, 18 12:12
Quote Reply
Re: Can you make this set? [ripple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ripple wrote:
Where are the 3 on 1:35? Kidding aside, it's been a long time since doing a descending interval set to failure.

I'll see how it goes tomorrow, 3@ 1:40/35/30/25/20/15 .. 10? Gasp.

Regarding OWS times.. I "can go" 19~/26~, comfy would be 20+/28 .. wetsuited.

Funny, as previously I was given this as 1:40, 1:35, 1:30, 1:25. Failed on the 1:25s, but I think I might have made that today! I rolled my eyes at the 1:20s...maybe someday.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Last edited by: MI_Mumps: Dec 5, 18 12:22
Quote Reply
Re: Can you make this set? [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
I couldn't make that set.... but I'll give it a try! I suspect i'd fall apart near the end of the 1:25s, maybe hit the first 1:20 if I was having the swim of my life. I have been hitting 32-33 this past year in 70.3

Sounds like weā€™re in the same neighborhood. I assume youā€™re faster on land - closest Iā€™ve gotten to breaking 5 at a 70.3 was 5:04.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, not a chance; though it may be a good goal to work on over the winter and a reason to get back in the pool. 37 min HIM.

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I could make that scm and maybe lcm. In scy, that's a warmup.

24-25 min 70.3
51-52 min 140.6

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No chance I could make it today, but it made me recall an experience I had in high school. After a few swimmers behaved poorly at a meet, we showed up for our next practice and EVERYONE was told to get in the pool and start doing 200s (SCY) on 2:00. I don't remember how long that went on, but a few poor bastards we're swimming continuously by the third 200.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
hadukla wrote:

Sounds like weā€™re in the same neighborhood. I assume youā€™re faster on land - closest Iā€™ve gotten to breaking 5 at a 70.3 was 5:04.

As always, depends. My best 70.3 thus far was a 5:08 in Hawai'i (based on %ile rank within AG, absolute AG placement and USAT score) whereas a few months later, I hit 4:51 at Maine, however conditions were absolutely perfect and I can say with 100% confidence, I was not as well trained for Maine.

In fact, if you want sub-5, I would highly recommend Maine, cold swim means you can and should go faster, and it is salt water, bike is barely affected by wind and the perfect balance between not being pancake flat and hardly classed as hilly so you aren't glued in aero for 2.5 hours, run is nice and cool (by triathlete standards) and flat.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Can you make this set? [CyclingClyde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was a favorite workout of one of the Masters coaches at ASU. Except he started us at 1:30, then dropped 1 second per 100 scy.

Once a send-off was missed the swimmer dropped distance to 75 yards (another coach dropped us to 50 yards to keep all swimmers starting at the same end of the pool).

I watched a handful of ex-NCAA swimmers reach into the mid 50's after 3,000+ yards. One of those guys was a consistent 55 minute OW IM swim guy. Followed by a strong bike and above average run.

None of those workouts were "fun".

https://www.palmtreesahead.com/feed

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
I have an aspirational swim set. Aspirational in the sense that I aspire to complete it and I worry about aspirating during the set...

3x100 scy on 1:40, then 1:30, then 1:25, then 1:20. All consecutive, no extra rest.

Made most of the 1:25s today, no way on the 1:20s. I did a 1:17, 1:18 and 1:23 later on, but leaving on the 2:20!

Can you do that whole set? If so, what Olympic/ 70.3 times are you doing?

We used to do a set of 100s, starting on 1:30 and dropping :01 every interval (1:30, 1:29, 1:28...). I think I made it to 1:16 once. Hardest part was figuring out the leave times (I and another guy were the only ones able to do the math in our heads, so we led our lanes).

Did 100/200/300/400/500/400/300/200/100 all on 1:20/100 pace, no breaks (held 1:10/100 for all of them). So, yeah, I used to be able to do that. I did an 18:5x Oly swim at the time as part of a relay.

Olympic and 70.3 distances/conditions are notoriously inaccurate, so no real way to correlate pool set times and race times.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That would be very easy. I regularly do 20-40 x50m LCM on 50", or 20-40 x100m, LCM again, on 90".
Oly swim times around 19'. HIM in 25'. IM below 50'/55' with/without suit.

STRAVA INSTAGRAM
Quote Reply
Re: Can you make this set? [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
Nope; the 1:25s would break me at some point and Iā€™d certainly snap on the 1:20.

Iā€™m swimming :28 on a good day at the 70.3.

Scott

Is "a good day" defined by short course, point to point with a current, with a wetsuit, and in a pack?

21x100 on 1:20 is 28:00.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply

Prev Next