Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Tip of the spear: do you all have a coach?
Quote | Reply
For the guys at the very front, I’m excluding pros, do you all have a coach? If you’re at the front, it’s fairly safe to assume you’ve been in the sport a while and have amassed a fair bit of knowledge about training along the way. As well as with tri being so expensive already, with 10k bikes and ridonkulous entry fees if you want to race long course, I’m wondering if you all have coaches, or choose to go at it solo?
Quote Reply
Re: Tip of the spear: do you all have a coach? [Afg53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No I do not. I don’t even follow a plan. Don’t even do intervals. Just swim, bike and run a lot. Weather can change everything for me, the nicer it is the longer I will go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 41 and haven't had a coach since college.

Background:

Mediocre? D3 runner turned better triathlete turned better cyclist. At 41 I have never felt better, been more fit, or more strong. But I'm smarter.

I have always been a student of the sport and will admit have made mistakes along the way. The biggest wins of my endurance career have happened just the last couple years.

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No need for one. The wife knows everything anyways.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Tip of the spear: do you all have a coach? [danstu4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
danstu4 wrote:
No I do not. I don’t even follow a plan. Don’t even do intervals. Just swim, bike and run a lot. Weather can change everything for me, the nicer it is the longer I will go.

I knew you didn't have a coach. How do you get in the appropriate work without planning/intervals? When you feel good do you just go harder and when you're tired you spin easy and run slower? It's obviously working, but no intervals surprised me.
Quote Reply
Re: Tip of the spear: do you all have a coach? [pvolb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Only have a swim coach. Swimming is just hard to self analysis for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am about a 2:20 Olympic triathlete, 4:50 in the half ironman. In local races, I am almost always on the podium or at least top 10. (Not to brag, just since you asked about guys at the front). I go off and on with coaching as they allow me to. I personally don't think you need a coach if you've been doing it for a few years. You begin to see the pattern of what coaches do, and you can always look at what your coach gave you in the past if you forgot. This helps you make your own training.

I should note, however, that I study up and read a lot on triathlon and each of the individual sports. I may be a little more informed than some since it's just a personal interest of mine. Also, for what it's worth, I know a pro who is self-coached. For those who aren't very disciplined I suspect that paying someone and having that workout waiting for you helps hold you accountable.

I will be embarking on the whole upcoming season as a self-coached athlete. Let's see how it goes....

Nourish - Sports Nutrition Made Easy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do not have a coach, and neither do the majority of 30+ guys i know who are winning their AG, but i think that's mostly because we've always been talented enough not to need one haha

Most of the guys I'm racing against could do damn well anything and still be on the podium at every race, the sport for Ags just isn't deep enough talent wise yet. And to define "telent" a guy above mentioned he was a mediocre d3 runner but anyone who could make a d3 running team is probably way ahead of the average age grouper in triathlon. I was barely good enough to get on a d3 team and i'm one of the best age group tri runners in the country haha
Last edited by: peace242000: Dec 2, 18 14:51
Quote Reply
Re: Tip of the spear: do you all have a coach? [peace242000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree with this (Peace242000). I think doing the coaching thing is good for a year, maybe 2, just so you see what quality workouts look like and what a training regime looks like. Once you see that though you can easily train yourself.

The one exception to this would be if you're able to afford a $500+ coach. Those people attend sessions with you, they give you real-time feedback, they examine your stats and adjust your workouts as necessary, and so on and so forth. That's an entirely different kind of coaching - which would be nice if money wasn't an issue!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have a coach yet I am a coach... I ran tack and xc in college so I knew the fundamentals of how to stress and adapt and all of that going into Tri. I went 4:16 in a 70.3 this year and I am not super disciplined... But I work hard. I drink beer, socialize and skip workouts I never prescribe myself. I also travel a fair amount for work so I fit in what I can when I can.

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure how you define tip of the spear. I've won my AG at WTC events a few times and KQ'd a couple times....so reasonably competitive for an age grouper I guess (now age 50). I think having a coach is a tremendous benefit, particularly when starting out in the sport. I have been racing for about 7 years, and had a coach for the first 4 years or so. The 2 biggest reasons I think I benefited were gaining knowledge from someone who had been around the block a few times and just as importantly is the accountability factor. It is way harder to blow off a session or mail it in when you know someone you respect is going to be reviewing the results....at least for me it was. A good coach is worth every dime
Last edited by: SteveCoz: Dec 2, 18 19:21
Quote Reply
Re: Tip of the spear: do you all have a coach? [peace242000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
peace242000 wrote:
I do not have a coach, and neither do the majority of 30+ guys i know who are winning their AG, but i think that's mostly because we've always been talented enough not to need one haha

Most of the guys I'm racing against could do damn well anything and still be on the podium at every race, the sport for Ags just isn't deep enough talent wise yet. And to define "telent" a guy above mentioned he was a mediocre d3 runner but anyone who could make a d3 running team is probably way ahead of the average age grouper in triathlon. I was barely good enough to get on a d3 team and i'm one of the best age group tri runners in the country haha

You are fast, for sure. But to say that you (and others like you) have been "talented enough to not need one" is sort of missing the forest for the trees.

To the OP: a coach is a tool. Whether you need a tool or not depends on a dizzying number of variables. Like with almost anything, there are ways to get around a job when you are "missing" a specific tool. But sometimes the job is a lot easier, more efficient, and looks better as an end product when you have the RIGHT tool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Follow Ashley Horner's insta and copy her. Once your fitness is 100% you'll be able to go #fullsend.

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Re: Tip of the spear: do you all have a coach? [TrainHrdRaceEz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TrainHrdRaceEz wrote:
I am about a 2:20 Olympic triathlete, 4:50 in the half ironman. In local races, I am almost always on the podium or at least top 10. (Not to brag, just since you asked about guys at the front). I go off and on with coaching as they allow me to. I personally don't think you need a coach if you've been doing it for a few years. You begin to see the pattern of what coaches do, and you can always look at what your coach gave you in the past if you forgot. This helps you make your own training.

I should note, however, that I study up and read a lot on triathlon and each of the individual sports. I may be a little more informed than some since it's just a personal interest of mine. Also, for what it's worth, I know a pro who is self-coached. For those who aren't very disciplined I suspect that paying someone and having that workout waiting for you helps hold you accountable.

I will be embarking on the whole upcoming season as a self-coached athlete. Let's see how it goes....

Are you over the age of 60?

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Re: Tip of the spear: do you all have a coach? [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, I'm 32. Just started getting into the sport.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those are admirable results and you're probably going to get pretty fast if you're starting off that well. "Tip of the spear" is referring to people who have no problem qualifying for the world championships like Kona or 70.3 World Championships wherever they are that year. Probably even people that have earned their pro cards, but don't accept them. Specific to men, that's probably people in the low or under 4 hour range for 70.3.

Dan Stubleski was the guy with the first response. He's a Michigan dude that's definitely tip of the spear. I was in the same race as him in Steelhead in 2016 which was the first time I saw his name. Ever after a rough and non-wetsuit swim that left everybody over 30 minutes and a hot and humid run, he still put down a 4 hour even time. I figured it was a competitive year since the following year had the 70.3 World Championship in Chattanooga (and great USA athlete interest). My age group had 9 or 10 people go under 4:30 and I wasn't one of them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TrainHrdRaceEz wrote:
No, I'm 32. Just started getting into the sport.

No disrespect meant with this response. Just honest feedback.

Those are good results from someone starting out; They are nowhere near the FOP.
If you look at the results from this past Age Group Nationals, a 2:20 would not have put you in the top 50.

Keep pluggin away...now you have something to shoot for.

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use a coach. It is one less thing that I have to think about. All I have to do is execute the plan. We talk about goals and they make sure that I'm ready. I've had the same coaches for three years and it is well worth it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For 3 months before an IM or Worlds.

Because I experiment for the other 9 months and she has to straighten me out, settle me down and thrash me (she's a good biker) to remind me to get used to being "chicked".

Then I eat till Christmas.
Quote Reply
Re: Tip of the spear: do you all have a coach? [phog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am triathlon coach, and I still have a coach for me. Let someone look at you from aside
Quote Reply
Re: Tip of the spear: do you all have a coach? [leewalther] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
leewalther wrote:
I use a coach. It is one less thing that I have to think about. All I have to do is execute the plan. We talk about goals and they make sure that I'm ready.

+1 here.
Louis :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had a coach for about a year now and it's the single best decision I've made in triathlon. I actually just got a swim coach in addition to my triathlon coach and I'm seeing that pay off as well. I was fast before I had a coach but I needed help getting to that next level.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never had a coach and have been racing for 16 years. I'm 51 years old and have raced Kona 7 times. I have done my reading and became an Ironman Certified Coach. Its not that hard to figure out what training you need to do. What is hard is fitting it into your schedule and a coach isn't much help figuring out when you can sneak a workout in on your lunch hour. Also no coach, no one else to blame when you come up short up at a race.
Quote Reply
Re: Tip of the spear: do you all have a coach? [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To OP, James makes a good point (in spite of calling me a tool....english humour)

As a coach of many pointy end folks and many of them successful coaches in their own right a significant aspect of what they have used me for is sparing them a large chunk of cognitive bandwidth in their busy lives.

Many great athletes hear allude to not needing a coach and that’s great. Am sure just as many great athletes would say they are relieved they don’t need to expend mental energy on the planning and prescription in spite of their ability to do so.

As with many things in endurance sport context is key and the answer is invariably...it depends.

My view is if I am doing my job right educating athletes within a few years I should have made myself redundant anyhow.

David T-D
http://www.tilburydavis.com
Quote Reply
Re: Tip of the spear: do you all have a coach? [Evgen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
from "aside"??
Quote Reply

Prev Next