Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 2018/19 100 Runs in 100 Days Airing of the Grievances Thread [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hashtag is too long. How about #ST100in100. Can also hashtag just #slowtwitch (can’t ever have too many hashtags).

My grievance is getting hurt during this last year. It wasn’t due to the challenge though. My dumbass wasn’t patient enough after getting the flu, and in attempt to hit 2k miles for 2017 gave myself ITBS.

Anyway I’m already sick for the first time this year. 🤦🏼‍♂️ But I will be more patient getting back into it and plan on destroying this challenge. Bring it!
Quote Reply
Re: 2018/19 100 Runs in 100 Days Airing of the Grievances Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm down, thanks for setting this up as always!
Quote Reply
Re: 2018/19 100 Runs in 100 Days Airing of the Grievances Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did 106/100 last year and then had my worst running season ever! I've been very consistent for 45 but somehow that just didn't work for me.

I'm having disc issues too - can you tell me more about your laser spine surgery?

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i come to this site and do a lot of reading on the forum almost daily- even though i have not done hardly any posting, hoping to break into the world of triathlon in 2019 at the young age of 46 and the amount of knowledge on this site is top notch. after coming off of my first marathon ever on november 11th i am looking forward to the 100/100 challenge to get me back in the running groove and hopefully advance my running fitness. good luck to all that have entered.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the 100/100 Challenge is live and ready to join. quien is mas macho? pienso que yo soy.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: 2018/19 100 Runs in 100 Days Airing of the Grievances Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
the 100/100 Challenge is live and ready to join. quien is mas macho? pienso que yo soy.

My grievance for the day is that against better judgement I clicked on the "enroll" button. I suppose getting to one 30 minute run that qualifies will be my high bar. I should be stick to 5-10 min shuffles for a while
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Darned ITU decided to plan the annual Multisport Festival for the end of April, meaning that one of my 'A' multisport races of the year will happen on April 27th. There is no way I am riding at the peak of my mediocre capabilities if I'm running almost every day from now until the end of March.

So there. I guess I'm out...

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018/19 100 Runs in 100 Days Airing of the Grievances Thread [BT_DreamChaser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BT_DreamChaser wrote:
Four things to update this challenge:

1.) I see the Strava upload link is working - great and thanks. But what we really need is a freaking Instagram feed dammit! Every run should be followed by an Instagram photo (photoshopping pics and use of filters optional) followed by a #SLOWTWITCH100_100. The hash tag can instantly link all the Slowtwitch runs together and help us build our brand and raise awareness for our charity.

2.) We need a freaking Charity! We're not running #SLOWTWITCH100_100 for our collective health. We need to make a difference peeps!! Whether it's to save polar bears from climate change or getting kids in Orange County to put down the gluten free cupcakes and run a 5k -- we need to be doing this for a positive reason and change the world for the better!! Our sponsors will appreciate this.

3.) We need Sponsorship! Hash-freaking-tag SLOWTWITCH100_100 demands sponsorship in order to grow and reach "the masses". Triathlon is waning, race series are being cancelled, the proverbial SBR sky IS falling. Probably too late now to get sponsors, but let's think 1 year and then 5 years out. Everyone needs to agree to wear either Nike or Hoka shoes (preferably Nike because they have a bigger sponsorship/marketing budget -- and no complaints, both brands topped the Kona count). Oh, and wear Nike and/or Hoka branded clothing. This way we'll have a good shot for sponsorship in the 2020 100/100 ... which we'll brand #SLOWTWITCH100_100_2020. Please prominently display the logos in your Instagram pics!! Very important!

4.) All official #SLOWTWITCH100_100 finishers (well at least all the 90-ish run finishers, who can still claim they did the full 100 cause Instagram followers are a forgiving and naive bunch) will take a final Instagram pic with a cherubic-lookin' kid who got off the couch and ran 2 blocks with them on the final 100/100 day ... So by doing just 5 minutes of running, little Johnny or Janey can experience the exhilaration and satisfaction of what just took you 100 brutal and painstaking days to accomplish. Important: make sure to put a Nike and/or Hoka headband on the kid, with logo prominently displayed for final Instagram picture. HUGE BONUS POINTS (5 runs for free - just use extra pics taken from earlier runs and post to Instagram, shhh..) for whomever posts an Instagram with an actual Polar Bear!! That would be #EPIC_SLOWTWITC100_100!!!

These are not really grievances, just mere suggestions on how we can take this great thing you created Dev, and as the dudes in the cannabis industry say: Take it Next-Level!

I am in on charitable donation as a form of entry into the 100/100....
Seeing as we are a multi sport community...slowman may have some connections with some organization that could be in use of some funds...
Or being a running event, is there a run specific organization that we could assist!
We all pay rediculous event entries on top of the stupid amounts we spend on bikes/parts...I'm sure $50 is an easy donation to make!

Ask me how much I love my Kiwami LD Aero Trisuit
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Slowman wrote:

My grievance for the day is that against better judgement I clicked on the "enroll" button. I suppose getting to one 30 minute run that qualifies will be my high bar. I should be stick to 5-10 min shuffles for a while

good man ;-)

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: 2018/19 100 Runs in 100 Days Airing of the Grievances Thread [Richard Blaine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Richard Blaine wrote:
Darned ITU decided to plan the annual Multisport Festival for the end of April, meaning that one of my 'A' multisport races of the year will happen on April 27th. There is no way I am riding at the peak of my mediocre capabilities if I'm running almost every day from now until the end of March.

You could run a very easy 30 min every day and I would not *think* it would affect your bike very much. "Very easy" could be a 10, 11, or even 12 min/mi pace. You just gotta go 30 min, no matter how slow.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wahhhh ... dev can we have a thread without Lionel mentioned in the 1st post
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Okay I am in! I am currently in a marathon build for mid feb, so timing is quite good, though I don't know how I am going to run the first couple days after (guess I will have to build a nice buffer). Last year I got injured half way through, but going to make sure that doesn't happen this year.

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in the best shape I've been for this challenge. Have been running consistently 5-6 times/week all year, have had no injuries, should hit 1000 miles for the year for this week. That's pretty much a first for me, don't think I've ever been able to maintain that kind of consistency for a full 12 months.

I reckon I should be able to hit 90/100 pretty easily. What's likely to stop me getting those last 10 or so is a combination of bike racing and family/social stuff. I've got 4-5 bike races during the 100 days and there are some long ones. My wife is cool with me leaving the house at 5am, doing a 100+km race and getting home at lunchtime. She's not going to be cool with me then squeezing in a run that afternoon! Particularly as we're currently living abroad and we've got about 5 different sets of friends and family staying in the next 3 months. So I'm either going to have to squeeze in some 2-a-days at some point (which would be a first for me), or I'm going to have to be sneaky and do something like bolting on a short jog straight after I race the bike and then get home a little later and she'll never know the difference (unless she's started monitoring ST...). Not sure the legs will be happy though. Or I just be happy with 90/100, but if I look back over my year I suspect I've already done that a few times so need to raise my game for the challenge.
Quote Reply
Re: 2018/19 100 Runs in 100 Days Airing of the Grievances Thread [Vermej1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vermej1 wrote:
wahhhh ... dev can we have a thread without Lionel mentioned in the 1st post

Wait, it took us this long to discuss what would have happen if Lionel joined 100/100 /?? This place is slipping!!!

Quote Reply
Re: 2018/19 100 Runs in 100 Days Airing of the Grievances Thread [Richard Blaine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Richard Blaine wrote:

My complaint is that those who are out have not submitted this image for approval of their withdrawl!!!! Thus they are still in!!!!

Quote Reply
Re: 2018/19 100 Runs in 100 Days Airing of the Grievances Thread [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Slowman wrote:

good man ;-)

All kidding aside I can shuffle along on the treadmill at 7-9 kph with no or minimal leg spasms. BUT I have not been doing that since it is so demoralizing so I just gravitate to my 3-6km per day swimming program (I am guessing this year, I'll have swam further than all my jogging and walking combined)....but that's bad because I am not doing weight baring exerecise of any kind and as 53 year old, if I launch on this non weight baring trajectory I am just asking for bone trouble. Soooo treadmill shuffle it is and i can use this challenge to simply do this for other health reasons, not fitness generation and of course a little hope goes a long way and if I DO try there is always a chance that 9 kph goes to 10 which goes to 12 and so on.

I got three 10-15 shuffles in to "prepare" for this stupid 100/100...and I hope to get out on my snowshoes and maybe even classic style XC skiing so I better do some weight bearing stuff
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We can't lobby for a 3 mile instead of 30 minute minimum...

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev, if you don't mind sharing, what does the final scar look like now?
Quote Reply
Re: 2018/19 100 Runs in 100 Days Airing of the Grievances Thread [-JBMarshTX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Waaaaa, I'm doing the BarryP plan (or his preferred name, the 10-20-30% plan) and right now my lowest runs can't be longer than 20 minutes. Or at least, I can't swim three mornings a week for 45-50 minutes, then run 15-20 minutes, and actually get to my job on time.

I'm closer to the feathered end of the spear than the point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BT_DreamChaser wrote:

1.) I see the Strava upload link is working - great and thanks. But what we really need is a freaking Instagram feed dammit! Every run should be followed by an Instagram photo (photoshopping pics and use of filters optional) followed by a #SLOWTWITCH100_100. The hash tag can instantly link all the Slowtwitch runs together and help us build our brand and raise awareness for our charity.

I'm listening................ please, elaborate!

-Eric
Quote Reply
Re: 2018/19 100 Runs in 100 Days Airing of the Grievances Thread [EricTheBiking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
EricTheBiking wrote:
BT_DreamChaser wrote:

I'm listening................ please, elaborate!

-Eric

Truth is, I meant the whole post as a sarcastic joke/ tongue-in-cheek/ pink font. But then a bunch of people both publicly and privately said there are some good suggestions~! And the more I thought about it, perhaps it would be good to elevate the challenge to different social media platforms -- such as Instagram. Btw, I don't even have an Instagram site! I'm 100% in favor of growing the sport of Triathlon, it's given me an amazing life and I plan to SBR till I'm in the grave. I'd like for Triathlon and Ironman to be around when my kids have kids so I don't have to explain what Grandpa did with every spare second of his life.

So in all seriousness, I think the shortened hashtag is a good idea. Perhaps there could be a general Slowtwitch Instagram page? I don't even know how that would work. Or, I'd be willing to start an Instagram page and post some pics. I post pics to Strava, I'm sure it's not too much different than posting to Instagram. If it spread the word, builds the 100/100 community and gets more people young and old exposed to the sport, I'm all for it.

It would be cool to have a charity that people could voluntarily donate to. I donated to Davis Phinney when I did a few ToS.

So yeah, as a complete farce I stirred the pot with 4 ideas and now I'm totally lacking on how to execute. Please accept my sincere apology, and know that I'm willing to pick up an oar and row in any direction that seems sensible...
Last edited by: BT_DreamChaser: Dec 3, 18 17:54
Quote Reply
Re: 2018/19 100 Runs in 100 Days Airing of the Grievances Thread [-JBMarshTX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
-JBMarshTX wrote:
We can't lobby for a 3 mile instead of 30 minute minimum...

Yeah, that is a good grievance, but Mo Farah already provided his grievance on his 11K runs not qualifying for the 30 min
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev - I just want you to know that I started my own run at least 30 min every day on 4 Sept (day after Labor Day) and so I'm at 90 runs in 90 days now. Hopefully I can make it thru your 100/100 and then I'd have 201 in 201. The last 2 weeks I've worked up to 30,000 scy/wk and 30 mi/wk, so aim to keep that up.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Last edited by: ericmulk: Dec 6, 18 21:03
Quote Reply
Re: 2018/19 100 Runs in 100 Days Airing of the Grievances Thread [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
I have considered that. What would be the rule for a swim to count? 1000 yards?
30 minutes of swimming should count the same. I’m running with my arms... in the ocean and I think that should count! ;-)

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Paul,
I never thanked you last year for setting up this challenge. I used it to motivate one of our teenagers to be active and it's become a family affair. His goal was 1 mile/day and he stuck with it for 100 straight days, took two weeks off, and did it again. My wife and one of my other sons started a little later but completed it as well, with my second son starting on March 1 and he's still going - 278 days in a row as of yesterday. It's been a great challenge to keep our family active together not just in the winter but all year long.
I'll have completed around 400 runs this year, but not too many of them over 30 minutes, so I'm going to try to see if I can hit that mark this year.
Good luck with your recovery,
Peter Hubbard
Quote Reply

Prev Next