Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Z28Diddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. XXX6 w cover. It will rub in the lowest gear but if I do a hilly race (StG) I may just go to an 11/32 so I don’t worry about it. I may also run a spacer before cassette on hub and see if I could make that work.

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who here is running etap?
Where are you putting your blip box?
And are any of you guys running rotor cranks?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have etap. Running a large with low far stem. Aerobars are as far forward as they'll go. Blip box is mounted behind the bars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have it on the stem cover but I'm using the low far stem which is flat and the cover is long enough that it fits just right. It's attached with velcro. It's a very clean setup with no visible cables or anything.

Fishbum wrote:
Who here is running etap?
Where are you putting your blip box?
And are any of you guys running rotor cranks?

What's your CdA?
Last edited by: trailerhouse: Nov 25, 18 14:52
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [trailerhouse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My 2019 Speed Concept...

I'm thinking about swapping out the Ultegra 50/34 crank for either a 50 or a 52 1X aero crank, preferably with a power meter. As a flatlander without a whole lot of watts to burn I use a 12/25 rear cassette and I find myself using the 50 x 16 in flat. neutral conditions which would give me plenty of room to gear up or down as need be. Using a 52 would mean moving up to a bigger rear sprocket which would change the chain alignment, perhaps for the better?

So any of you folks have an opinion on a specific piece of equipment that might work?

For reference:
52x17 (middle sprocket 12/25) at a FDR of 3.058 @ 90rpm yields 21.60mph
50x17(middle sprocket 12/25) at a FDR of 2.941 @ 90rpm yields 20.77 mph

Realistically I'm going to average 20.0 to 21.5 at best on a 56 mile course (which for my AG isn't so bad)

Thanks in advance for your help...

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [SpeedOfCourse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SpeedOfCourse wrote:
Hello, I curious to see everyone water bottle setup.

I have 2 holders in my frame but they create a lot of drag and reaching down to get them I come out of aero position, looking for rear holder behind the seat or something for the aero bar? I got a 2018 sc and then whole front end is integrated and I am unsure if anything fits there.

The XLABS Torpedo will fit there, although depending on how things are setup you may need to use the Bontrager mounting bracket to hook the torpedo setup up to. I had mine attached without but wanted it positioned a little different, so had to add the Bontrager mounting bracket.

Have a 2 bottle behind the seat when needed.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [blueapplepaste] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
blueapplepaste wrote:
It’d be way cheaper to source the parts yourself through the classifieds, eBay, etc.

You’d need a SC stem, riser, basebar, and extension. There’s also hardware (bolts, etc) that would prob be best ordered through dealer. But the big items should be somewhat easy to source on your own.

Then building it up isn’t that bad if you’re comfortable wrenching.

Good luck finding a SC basebar. Not saying they cannot be found, but only part I could not find a few months ago that I needed to fix the bike. Had to go to a dealer.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [tyme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's a long shot... I have a 2014 7.5 in this color scheme. I'd like to go for a no decal / all black look but I'm too cheap to get a new paint job done so I'm thinking covering the frame decals with adhesive black vinyl should do it. Has anyone done this before ... any tips on how to go about it or alternative methods?

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [tyme] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I found one easily enough when I wanted to replace UCI with non UCI and see them somewhat regularly on eBay.

But I suppose if you needed one immediately, then dealer would be best bet.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [blueapplepaste] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do rotor cranks work on the speed concept?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on the rotor crank. You need either a 24mm (shimano) diameter spindle or a GXP cranks. On the SC, you can either run shimano bearings (24mm) or GXP bearings (eg; quarq).

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, Rotor 3D (not 3D+) is the 24mm spindle version. I have a 155mm 3D on my speed concept, it's a straight replacement for the Shimano crank, no need for a new bottom bracket.
Fishbum wrote:
Do rotor cranks work on the speed concept?

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [trailerhouse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last night I was looking at a 2018 Trek Speed Concept that checked all the boxes, except the color. After a VERY large glass of wine, being a light weight non-drinker, I purchased the bike with persuasion from my wife, also drinking wine. This morning I was reading the description and it says it's a Trek 7.5 Series. I freaked out and went back through the pictures and it clearly says 600 OCLV Carbon on the frame. Is there such a thing as a Series 7.5 with 600 Carbon or is the seller confused? The seller also said it was UCI legal but it clearly has the non UCI legal deeper aero bars. I am holding my breath until it arrives. No more wine for a while.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not to my knowledge. Also 2018 models are all 500 OCLV. You sometimes can tell if its a 7 series just by the paint scheme (assuming it wasn't project one).

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Starting in 2018 there was no more 7 or 9 labels. There is Speed Concept and Speed Concept Womens. Not sure why the seller labeled it that way.

To answer your question. No, the 7.5 series from 2017 and earlier was 500 series OCLV.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [MattAune] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
9 series was just diff carbon/ lay up right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, the 2017 and earlier 9 series bikes had 600 OCLV carbon and came with a carbon seat post. The 2018 and newer bikes are basically the same as the old 7.5. 500 OCLV and allow seatpost.

If the bike you bought is 600 OCLV its a 2017 or older 9 series frame.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i have the xxx 6 with a wheel cover with no rub issues. I had to cut the center hole larger around the star pattern hub to the cover laid on the spokes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The reach numbers on this bike aggravate me!
In a large the says with the far stem you can reach 584 but.........if you use the trek extensions and Max out the pad reach you really can't have normal sized for arms. There extensions are not long enough by a long shot. So you change to plug that let's you run what extensions you want but you the loose 2.5 cm of capable reach. So now from a Max of 584 to 560....
And if you stay with there extensions and Max the pad reach to 584 you need dwarf fore arms....
GREAT THINKING TREK!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That sucks. I can make a small, medium, large or XL work. Went with a medium since I hit the numbers really solid. Before reading your post, I would have said ANYBODY can fit on this bike.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope. And at 5"11 a XL stand over height is a bit much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey all!

I am not sure if this has been posted or not somewhere in this long thread but I figured I would post it now. I see a lot of questions about the mono-plug in and its fit and comparison so I figured I would type up a little post and give some photos with it.

The biggest question of all - the mono plug in is 1 inch shorter than the standard mono bar that is provided (My example is the Long Ski-tip) on the G2 SC for the armpad mounting holes.

However, I stated this in another thread and verified this yesterday that in real world application you can get more "reach" out of the plug-in than you can a standard bar.

Example;

I ride a Medium SC, Trek states that a Medium can have a reach of up to 56cm (I measured 57cm on my bike to the center of the pad at maximum reach) - However when you calculate my forearm and hand into the equation I can ONLY get a maximum of 51.5cm, it is not physically possible to reach any further than that.

You add the mono plug in to the bike and although it is "shorter" I can run the center of the armpad to 54.5cm - so when adding whatever extensions I want and making them to the length I require I have gained 3cm of reach over the standard mono bar!

Here are some photos of the bars;

The bars right next to each other

The bars stacked on top of each other and bolt holes line up

The bars next to each other and holes

The standard mono bolt hole to bolt hole length

The standard mono bolt hole to ski-tip length

ANY mono bar with grub screw back (hindering reach)

Any mono bar with grub screw forward (allowing for maximum reach)

The standard mono bar with "longest" reach possible (in my case)

Any mono bar set up for maximum reach possible (bridge flipped, bar slide as far forward, pads forward maximum)

The Standard Mono bar with "longest" reach possible and my arm (my elbow bone right behind end of pad)

I hope this helps with some of the questions that have been on and off this forum about this bike!
Last edited by: teddygram: Dec 3, 18 12:40
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [teddygram] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's either buried in this thread or the other..... I had gotten Carl to give me some exact dimensions a little over a year ago when I was switching to the plug in. I was trying to figure out what I needed to do to keep the same reach.

Distance between pad wing mounting holes on the mono aero bar (both regular and plug-in) - 22.5mm

Off set between the pad wing orientation - 30 mm

Pad holders mounting holes - 15 mm x and y

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [teddygram] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for doing this!
Question on the set screw. The role of the set screw or the grub screw is to take some pressure of the rocker (/ cradle / whatever that piece is called ) bolts when using tilt. I remember a bunch of people complaining here that they were constantly shearing their bolts when using tilt... it's because they were not using the set screw correctly i.e. you should set it so it touches the mono spacer.
I'm not sure but maybe reversing that piece negates the purpose of the set screw and could cause some issues to those that use the tilt mechanism.

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply

Prev Next