Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I feel like we're more likely to have a shortened swim though based on the guidelines and the current temperature? There is a live video on facebook this afternoon with the race director answering questions so hopefully they clarify what the stance is for now.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Last edited by: realbdeal: Nov 29, 18 10:03
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
I feel like we're more likely to have a shortened swim though based on the guidelines and the current temperature? There is a live video on facebook this afternoon with the race director answering questions so hopefully they clarify what the stance is for now.

At the very least. Do you have a link to that FB group?

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Last edited by: Bryancd: Nov 29, 18 10:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Should be the first or second thing on this page. I would assume that is 3pm PST.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
Should be the first or second thing on this page. I would assume that is 3pm PST.

Thanks Ben! See you there!

Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I am a relay swimmer altogether, so if they cancel the swim it was a pretty expensive non-race day altogether.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
Oh, FFS. My bib number is 2918. If they cancel the swim I’m starting the bike at the back just like Santa Rosa 70.3.

Bring a comfy seat... and second breakfast

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [Gee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gee wrote:
Well, I am a relay swimmer altogether, so if they cancel the swim it was a pretty expensive non-race day altogether.

I mean, they states USAT guidelines etc and I know the RD is not the same as all other RDs, but I have to think that WTC may exert some influence on this given that Waco had a cancelled swim. My bets are that unless it is below 50, it'll be shortened at worst. Of course, I could be completely wrong and all the conspiracy theorists on ST regarding WTC WANTING cancelled swims would say they predicted the water to be too cold and am ready to cancel it in a heartbeat (but still on race morning, I'm sure)

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
Gee wrote:

I mean, they states USAT guidelines etc and I know the RD is not the same as all other RDs, but I have to think that WTC may exert some influence on this given that Waco had a cancelled swim. My bets are that unless it is below 50, it'll be shortened at worst. Of course, I could be completely wrong and all the conspiracy theorists on ST regarding WTC WANTING cancelled swims would say they predicted the water to be too cold and am ready to cancel it in a heartbeat (but still on race morning, I'm sure)

Like I mentioned her decision will be based on water and air temps race morning. Sure she could have us swim 1500M but that takes a lot of people 30+min. Then they get on bikes and it’s not even 50 degrees and it could be problematic.

Team ZOOT
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If we don't get a swim, maybe they could have us run a 5k to start like they did at a couple of the European races this year ... at least something to create some separation going into T1...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
hadukla wrote:
Gee wrote:

Like I mentioned her decision will be based on water and air temps race morning. Sure she could have us swim 1500M but that takes a lot of people 30+min. Then they get on bikes and it’s not even 50 degrees and it could be problematic.

My guess is a shortened swim would be more like 400m, USAT guidelines don't differentiate above 1500m, that is just the temperature thresshold. Anyone able to view the Q&A please chime in if she discusses it, unfortunately while I can ST all day long, watching videos would probably be a bit too overboard :)

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What happened to the "toughness" association with the name Ironman? HITS still puts on the race distances it advertises with the same temps every year. They may modify the course (closer to shore). Guess being a HITSman is more tough of a person?

I did the race few years back. Poured hot coffee in my wetsuit. Yea got first degree burns heh. And they always lie about actual water temp before, saying 10* warmer
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
What happened to the "toughness" association with the name Ironman? HITS still puts on the race distances it advertises with the same temps every year. They may modify the course (closer to shore). Guess being a HITSman is more tough of a person?

I did the race few years back. Poured hot coffee in my wetsuit. Yea got first degree burns heh. And they always lie about actual water temp before, saying 10* warmer

I qualify the “toughness” as how fast I can cover the distance as opposed to how well my body can ward off hypothermia. :) I don’t do stunt polar bear swims for a reason .

Team ZOOT
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The RD said the lake is right now 54. They will be following USAT rules regarding water and air temps. Anyone know what those are?

Team ZOOT
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
The RD said the lake is right now 54. They will be following USAT rules regarding water and air temps. Anyone know what those are?

Haha, realized my earlier post was a list to my computer downloaded file. Oops! Below is a good enough summary

http://www.athletesheart.org/2013/12/new-usa-triathlon-water-temperature-safety-guidelines/

ETA: When you actually look at USAT's guidelines, they don't actually say anything about air temperature, at least not on the one pager around this subject

https://www.teamusa.org/-/media/USA_Triathlon/PDF/Race-Directors/Toolbox_Forms-Resources/Water-Temperature-Recommendations-Chart.pdf?la=en&hash=80C8ECA4B447941F4E9572A953CFC1E9446176E9

I know ITU has something regarding a combination of air/water temps. Perhaps this is more deep in USAT's rulebook. I am bored at work but not that bored...

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Last edited by: hadukla: Nov 29, 18 14:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryan water at AZ was more like 58/9
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So in summary:

Shorten if water is between 53-56.
Cancel if water is below 53.

Fingers crossed the temps stay still or rise and we at least have a shortened swim.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
So in summary:

Fingers crossed the temps stay still or rise and we at least have a shortened swim.

It's 54 now and with our weather forecast for the next week its going lower.

Team ZOOT
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
So in summary:

Even if it stays at 53, if its 45 air temp race morning they won't be too keen to put people in.

Team ZOOT
Last edited by: Bryancd: Nov 29, 18 15:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Annnnd cue the pussification posts.

I'll be in Mexico not giving a shit.
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
Annnnd cue the pussification posts.

I'll be in Mexico not giving a shit.

Ole! :)

Team ZOOT
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the best case scenario at this point is a very short swim (500m), so the race director doesn't have to deal with the logistics of a time trial start for 3k people. A rider leaving every 5 seconds would take well over 4 hours and the course would still be pretty crowded. Sure it would be packed up with a 5-15 minute swim but I have to imagine that's easier than the TT.

Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HITS palm springs half is this weekend, isn't it the same lake? If they dont cancel the swim and wtc does how does that look?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
I think the best case scenario at this point is a very short swim (500m), so the race director doesn't have to deal with the logistics of a time trial start for 3k people. A rider leaving every 5 seconds would take well over 4 hours and the course would still be pretty crowded. Sure it would be packed up with a 5-15 minute swim but I have to imagine that's easier than the TT.

Good point. Given the RD has discretion even if it is like 49, that does give me a glimmer of optimism.

However I will add that one rider every 5 seconds is probably not the norm. When I did IMMD 2016, they went off at one every 3 seconds. That would still take 2.5 hours for 3k people but that is probably a bit more manageable from the RD view.

I'd rather take your positive thinking here. ala toothengineer circa IMWI 2018. Positive thinking!!

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At Santa Rosa 70.3 it was 5 riders every 10 seconds. They cleared everyone out in about 90min

Team ZOOT
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Geez. I guess I underestimated how fast they put people out. So much for my theory then.

Quote Reply

Prev Next