Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [Pro_Sandbagger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm just glad I opted to sign up for IW 70.3 with IMFL looking like a sh@t show after hurricane Micheal. Some sort of redemption if IMFL is cancelled, or my rental was destroyed and I cannot find anyplace to stay... and I'm not discounting those that lost everything including their lives to the storm, just relaying my personal situation.

Cali here I come!

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [TriJayhawkRyan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This will be my first 70.3 but wasn't my first choice (or my second). I ended up here because NC was canceled, none of the other races worked with my schedule, and the only other 'local' race (Oceanside) was sold out. So it was either this or forfeit my entry fee.
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [nefarious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm also training a few athletes for the race as well. Feel free to ask me any questions or hit up the FB group.
Should be a fun race at least!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/621705961508786/

Ryan
http://www.SetThePaceTriathlon.com
http://www.TriathlonTrainingDaddy.com
I got plans - https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...dotcom#trainingplans
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [connan23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PSA to anyone who uses Best Bike Split: The course had changed slightly, the lower OAB is now a trianglish loop. Profile doesn't change too much but it does slow me down by a minute according to BBS, all else equal. They slightly changed the swim to include a left turn on the back stretch (as a right breathing dominant, I was looking forward to all right turns). Run might be the same, idk, wasn't paying attention.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Still no athlete guide or updated participant list but the schedule is up at least. It says rolling start for the age group race, I assume that means self seeded? All of my races have been wave starts, do we have to submit our estimated time at some point or we just hop in the wave we want to be in?

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
Still no athlete guide or updated participant list but the schedule is up at least. It says rolling start for the age group race, I assume that means self seeded? All of my races have been wave starts, do we have to submit our estimated time at some point or we just hop in the wave we want to be in?

Bib list/guide usually comes out like 2 weeks before. I'm hoping that because next week is thanksgiving they'll get it done tomorrow but we'll see. Schedule was very late (4 weeks out instead of 8-10 as promised).

I think almost all races at this point are rolling start, at least in the US. They'll have people with signs so you just slot in to the time you expect. Be aware of people around you, too many 50+ minute 70.3 swimmers like to seed up. If you expect to be faster than 33, you should be fine as at that point I feel most people are honest.

Btw, the schedule does note the wetsuit decontamination process on Saturday. Plan for that.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
PSA to anyone who uses Best Bike Split: The course had changed slightly, the lower OAB is now a trianglish loop. Profile doesn't change too much but it does slow me down by a minute according to BBS, all else equal. They slightly changed the swim to include a left turn on the back stretch (as a right breathing dominant, I was looking forward to all right turns). Run might be the same, idk, wasn't paying attention.

My BBS time showed a little longer too, but same avg speed. New course, as I have it, is a little longer and I attributed it to that. I was kind of looking forward to the multiple out and back sections for seeing friends on-course who are also racing but either way it looks flat and fast!

I heard the run is the same except they changed where the loop turn is apparently, not by much, just to adjust the course to the appropriate length.
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [CyclingClyde] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oooh nice! That's a good rumor to hear. I think the new course is a smidge longer but there are several versions of the old course out there so I couldn't tell what the true distance was. Either way, good to know they're making an effort to be accurate

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The bike course looks to have a ton of turns .. are they mostly manageable (wide turns) in aero, or will there be lots of up and down every 1-2 miles or so?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is wetsuit decontamination?

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They are going to make you dunk your wetsuit in a kiddie pool full of chlorinated water for like 30 sec. Then they will put a tag on your zipper to prove you did it. After that I'm not sure how they will handle it.

At HITS and Desert Tri they handled it differently. One just let you take your suit and bring it back in the morning. The other had a "coat check" tent were you handed it over and were given a ticket to claim your suit on race morning.

It's all to do with some invasive snail they don't want in the reservoir.
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [Orange Curtain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Orange Curtain wrote:
They are going to make you dunk your wetsuit in a kiddie pool full of chlorinated water for like 30 sec. Then they will put a tag on your zipper to prove you did it. After that I'm not sure how they will handle it.

At HITS and Desert Tri they handled it differently. One just let you take your suit and bring it back in the morning. The other had a "coat check" tent were you handed it over and were given a ticket to claim your suit on race morning.

It's all to do with some invasive snail they don't want in the reservoir.

I assume that one will also have to bring their booties and thermal caps if they're allowed (I'm sure it's nearly guaranteed but...) as well?

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bib list is up: http://www.ironman.com/~/media/a16627eeb2b94c26a183f8aeed1d17fa/biblist%2070%203iw%20final.pdf

Does bib numbers up to ~3100 mean that many people are registered? Looking like a huge race regardless.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow. That is a lot, even with a 1 loop course it'll be crowded (and likely a draft fest...)

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Getting closer to race day. Interesting that Hiits says the water is 54 but in the athlete guide IM says, "Water temperature is predicted to be between 56-62 degrees on race day. IRONMAN will adhere to the USAT water temperature guidelines and adjust the swim if the temperature falls to unsafe levels. Athletes will be notified on race morning if there is a shortened or cancelled swim course." Has it really been that much colder over the past few weeks than normal?

Is there any precedent for IM canceling a swim purely due to temperature? That would be pretty lame.

Last edited by: realbdeal: Nov 28, 18 20:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's been ass cold in the morning in Los Angeles for the last 2 weeks or so. My pool is in the low 50s at 7am. Palm Springs must be 10 degrees cooler at night.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe they cancelled the swim at Racine 70.3 in 2017 due to water temperature being too cold after Lake Michigan flipped a couple days before the race. I don’t remember the exact temp but it was low 50s for sure.
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [adnama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
adnama wrote:
I believe they cancelled the swim at Racine 70.3 in 2017 due to water temperature being too cold after Lake Michigan flipped a couple days before the race. I don’t remember the exact temp but it was low 50s for sure.

Yeah, as much as I'd hate to say it, I have my plan B morning prep for a bike time trial start. I hope this is not the case but given what I've read about HITS in past years, I just don't think WTC would want to take that kind of risk with 3,000 athletes.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does WTC have a stated policy of a water temp too low to have a swim?

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:

Yes.

Swim Temperature
  • Water temperature below 52 degrees Fahrenheit or above 88 degrees Fahrenheit will result in cancellation or shortening of the swim portion of the race

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Bryancd wrote:

Yes.

Swim Temperature
  • Water temperature below 52 degrees Fahrenheit or above 88 degrees Fahrenheit will result in cancellation or shortening of the swim portion of the race

Thank you, I thought that was the number I had heard in the past.

Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:

Along with the rule from the WTC book GMAN quoted, someone noted above that they made clear in the athlete guide they will adhere to USAT guidelines which recommend shortening of the swim between 53-56 for swims over 1500m and outright cancellation below 53. But they note that these are recommendations and race director has final call.

file:///C:/Users/jgourd/Downloads/Water%20Temperature%20Recommendations%20Chart.pdf

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
Bryancd wrote:

Along with the rule from the WTC book GMAN quoted, someone noted above that they made clear in the athlete guide they will adhere to USAT guidelines which recommend shortening of the swim between 53-56 for swims over 1500m and outright cancellation below 53. But they note that these are recommendations and race director has final call.

file:///C:/Users/jgourd/Downloads/Water%20Temperature%20Recommendations%20Chart.pdf

Great thank you. I have the guide printed out but haven’t given it a look yet. I would imagine if water temps are under 56 and the air temps in the mid 40’s race morning will give them pause. People were getting hypothermic here at IMAZ and the water was 62 and air temp around low 50’s at the start.

Team ZOOT
Last edited by: Bryancd: Nov 29, 18 10:01
Quote Reply
Re: Indian Wells 70.3 [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
It's been ass cold in the morning in Los Angeles for the last 2 weeks or so. My pool is in the low 50s at 7am. Palm Springs must be 10 degrees cooler at night.

It’s been mid 40’s in the am here in the Arizona desert.

Team ZOOT
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh, FFS. My bib number is 2918. If they cancel the swim I’m starting the bike at the back just like Santa Rosa 70.3.

Team ZOOT
Quote Reply

Prev Next