Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What benchmarks would I need to go sub-30 in a half-IM swim? [ripple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yards or Metres ? My 5k pace is 1:11 or 12 for SCM... most of my 100s are on 1:25 trying to hold 1:08.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: What benchmarks would I need to go sub-30 in a half-IM swim? [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scy

I've never been much of a practice swimmer compared to meet and OWS times. I also swim by myself, so maybe there's some laziness in there. But I really think that the wetsuit is worth 5-10s per 100y over pool times for me. It's been a while since I did anything longer than a 200 in the pool, maybe I'll ratchet one up later this week.
Quote Reply
Re: What benchmarks would I need to go sub-30 in a half-IM swim? [ripple] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ripple wrote:
scy

I've never been much of a practice swimmer compared to meet and OWS times. I also swim by myself, so maybe there's some laziness in there. But I really think that the wetsuit is worth 5-10s per 100y over pool times for me. It's been a while since I did anything longer than a 200 in the pool, maybe I'll ratchet one up later this week.

Agreed on several points... I'm a lazy practice swimmer too, probably owing to practicing alone most days.

As far as wetsuit benefit, do you not kick much? I nearly don't kick at all when swimming, and I pick up a massive benefit from a wetsuit, while those who do have a strong kick seem to benefit less.
Quote Reply
Re: What benchmarks would I need to go sub-30 in a half-IM swim? [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davejustdave wrote:
ripple wrote:
scy

Agreed on several points... I'm a lazy practice swimmer too, probably owing to practicing alone most days.

As far as wetsuit benefit, do you not kick much? I nearly don't kick at all when swimming, and I pick up a massive benefit from a wetsuit, while those who do have a strong kick seem to benefit less.
Has to be something about the improved buoyancy for my legs with it on. As far as kicking, I can throw in kick when I want to, but I don't very often during practices, since swimming is often a "day off" from leg activity. Probably a combination of the two. The rest effect as well, since I'm usually going into a 1.2 ready to throw down.

/hijack
Quote Reply
Re: What benchmarks would I need to go sub-30 in a half-IM swim? [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you need to be able to hold 1:20/100y pace on longer swims pretty easily to swim 30 min in a half. In the pool, I aim to hit some longer sets on a 1:25 base. For a half, you may target a 2200 main set such as:

2 x 400 on 5:40
2 x 300 on 4:15
2 x 200 on 2:50
4 x 100 on 1:25

Aim to come in at 1:20 per 100y or faster. If you can do that set with 5 seconds rest per 100y without killing yourself you probably have the pool fitness to swim a 30 min half. From there, you just need to transfer that pool fitness to OWS fitness.

It is good to have off season swim goals, but by the end of a 70.3, 31 minutes of relaxed mid effort swimming can be better than a 29 minute hard effort.
Quote Reply
Re: What benchmarks would I need to go sub-30 in a half-IM swim? [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pun_Times wrote:
First off, I realize there is a lot of variables that could affect this do no one can say definitively. But assuming a wetsuit legal, properly measure course with relatively calm water and I’m able to latch onto some feet and swim straight. And not having to overswim and affect the rest of the race
Lots of assumptions. But what kind of pool times (scy) would you need be hitting to have a shot? ie 1000 yard time trial, or avg wall time on a 10x100 or 20x100 set leaving on the 1:30. A 1:25 per 100 yd would come out to sub-30, so imagine the 100’s should be a little faster than that.

I would suggest simply doing a 2100 yd time trial and see if you can go under 30. As you've correctly pointed out, you would need to hold about1:25/100 yd get under 30:00. A 1:25.0 average pace would put you at 29:45 for 2100 yd.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First you need to know how much advantage you get from a wetsuit compared to swimming in the pool. Due to poor body position, I get a huge advantage with a wetsuit.

I regularly swim 29:xx in a Half Ironman (in good conditions), but don't get close to the pool swim times mentioned earlier in the thread. Although part of that may be because I only swim in a 50 metre pool and don't know how to translate 25 or 50 yard pool times. But for reference, I usually get up to roughly 10x100m repeats on 1:45 coming in around 1:35. I also try to swim more than 10 kilometres a week for 10 consecutive weeks leading up to the Half Ironman.
Quote Reply
Re: What benchmarks would I need to go sub-30 in a half-IM swim? [Steel01] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steel01 wrote:

However, if the swim is in saltwater I am a few seconds faster per 100, and with a wetsuit I probably drop another 15 seconds per 100.

....what? That seems a bit extreme.
Quote Reply
Re: What benchmarks would I need to go sub-30 in a half-IM swim? [TennesseeJed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TennesseeJed wrote:
2 x 400 on 5:40
2 x 300 on 4:15
2 x 200 on 2:50
4 x 100 on 1:25

Sets such as this are my go to indicator for swim performance. I can muscle through 100's or catch up during 400 or 500's but can't fake my way through a 100 to 500 to 100 pyramid.

That being said this thread has made me realize how poorly my pool swimming translates to open water. I guess I just need to swim in open water more?
Last edited by: JASpencer: Nov 28, 18 10:03
Quote Reply
Re: What benchmarks would I need to go sub-30 in a half-IM swim? [JASpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JASpencer wrote:
[
That being said this thread has made me realize how poorly my pool swimming translates to open water. I guess I just need to swim in open water more?

In Summer I do one open water swim per week of around 3km. Usually with a group of over 50 triathletes.

By swimming every week I get to experience lots of different types of conditions. Swimming with large group is a good simulation for a race
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
UPDATE

I'm now 4 months into my swim focus. I've been hitting the pool 4-5x per week and averaged 12k yards a week over that span. Some of the workouts from this past month that I remembered to write down (all scy, oldest to most recent):

- 4x500 on the 8min (6:58, 6:59, 7:05)
- 21x100 on the 1:35 (1:24 avg)
- 1000 time trial (14:08)
- 4x400 on the 6 min (5:50,5:50, 5:50, 5:59)
- 10x100 on the 1:30 (avg 1:19)

On my way to the pool I wasn't really sure what I wanted to do for a workout so I made the spur of the moment decision to do 2100 straight to see what I could do. I came in at 30:42. My 500's were all within a few seconds of each other so I was pretty pleased that I was able to pace things evenly (this has been a problem of mine in the past). When I did my last HIM (2 years ago) I did a pool 2100 that was 4:15 slower than today, so it's nice to see the work paying off.

So theoretically I need to drop 2s per 100 from now until mid June and hope that a draft and wetsuit can cover what I'll loose with no flip turns/kicking off the wall.

Matt
Last edited by: Pun_Times: Jan 19, 19 13:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those are some nice improvements, and your best set is that 10x100 on 1;30 holding 1;19's. I think that one is by far the best of the lot, and shows you have a lot more room to improve on those other metrics you put up..

I think you are already at the sub 30 level, with a wetsuit and decent draft, and proper course...
Quote Reply
Re: What benchmarks would I need to go sub-30 in a half-IM swim? [Chemist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chemist wrote:
UPDATE

I'm now 4 months into my swim focus. I've been hitting the pool 4-5x per week and averaged 12k yards a week over that span. Some of the workouts from this past month that I remembered to write down (all scy, oldest to most recent):

- 4x500 on the 8min (6:58, 6:59, 7:05)
- 21x100 on the 1:35 (1:24 avg)
- 1000 time trial (14:08)
- 4x400 on the 6 min (5:50,5:50, 5:50, 5:59)
- 10x100 on the 1:30 (avg 1:19)

On my way to the pool I wasn't really sure what I wanted to do for a workout so I made the spur of the moment decision to do 2100 straight to see what I could do. I came in at 30:42. My 500's were all within a few seconds of each other so I was pretty pleased that I was able to pace things evenly (this has been a problem of mine in the past). When I did my last HIM (2 years ago) I did a pool 2100 that was 4:15 slower than today, so it's nice to see the work paying off.

So theoretically I need to drop 2s per 100 from now until mid June and hope that a draft and wetsuit can cover what I'll loose with no flip turns/kicking off the wall.

We need a 4 year update please

Especially since I am targeting sub 30 at HIM distance

Thanks
Quote Reply

Prev Next