Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Car for 3 or 4 months
Quote | Reply
Daughter will need a car for the summer when either she comes home for college, or works down there. Has zero, none, zilch desire to have a car during the school year. (Parking is very expensive).

So I am looking for Ideas on a low cost way to (legally) get a car for 3 or 4 months. Ideas?

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Car for 3 or 4 months [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Buy something relatively cheap, common and popular off Craigslist. Sell it when she's done with it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:
Daughter will need a car for the summer when either she comes home for college, or works down there. Has zero, none, zilch desire to have a car during the school year. (Parking is very expensive).

So I am looking for Ideas on a low cost way to (legally) get a car for 3 or 4 months. Ideas?

What are you looking to spend, friend? You might consider hitting the public auto auctions, for something $1,000 and below, and with few or no problems, including check engine lights. If you're at all mechanically inclined, and I have no doubt you are, don't be afraid of the miles on them.

Next time I hit one of the dealer auctions, around the time frame you're referring to, I can let you know what kind of possibilities are out there on the auction block, as well. The only caution I would say for any public or industry dealer auctions is to be aware of the fees nowadays, because they can get steep, if you buy something much above $1,500.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Last edited by: big kahuna: Nov 24, 18 10:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This was an interesting challenge. The cheapest car I found was on Hotwire where I looked at a 60 day rental.

Midsize SUV
Ford Escape or Similar**
x5 x2 x1
$ 17 47 /day
$1,899.36 total

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: Car for 3 or 4 months [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
This was an interesting challenge. The cheapest car I found was on Hotwire where I looked at a 60 day rental.

Midsize SUV
Ford Escape or Similar**
x5 x2 x1
$ 17 47 /day
$1,899.36 total

He's better off looking at Craigslist, OfferUp or one of the public auto auctions and finding something that we in the car business call a "sled." As opposed to a "hoopdie." ;-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are webpages for people who want someone to takeover a lease contract. Might be worth seeing if you could find someone getting stationed overseas or something that only has a few months left.
Quote Reply
Re: Car for 3 or 4 months [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since more then likely she is going to be out of state, I am looking for a more reliable vehicle, then buying someone elses mess. One option, give her my car, and rent Looks like 3.5month smallest car rental is about $2500 no discount, so assuming with some discount code I could get that down under $2500.

Looked a couple lease swap / take my lease sites, and most are in the 9 month + range. I think with only a few months most probably just eat it and trade in early.

One possability I guess would be for me to buy a POS and I drive it.

got time just looking for ideas.. Oh I could drive a moped to work... or just ride my bike

Just Triing
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Either her or you could Uber wherever you need to go. Depending on the amount of travel it might be a viable alternative. I had a quick trip earlier this month. Normally I would rent a car to get around. Rental plus parking for 2 days was ~$90, I spent a total of $50 on Uber and it included a trip I probably could have walked instead.

drn92
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you buy a 5-6 year old Toyota or Honda for a decent price, you should be able to recoup most of your money when you go to sell it. There is (almost) no way that would you lose $2500 on an average car versus what you would pay to rent a car. A 5-6 year old Toyota/Honda won't depreciate hardly any in 3 months if she treats it decently.
Quote Reply
Re: Car for 3 or 4 months [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What about taxes and license fees on the transaction?

drn92
Quote Reply
Re: Car for 3 or 4 months [drn92] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I buy or sell a used car, I declare the price at $400.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kust go buy a used Civic. Anywhere from $1000 to $3000 will get you a car that you can damn well do anything to amd it'll still run and be safe. My last '03 I bought with 208k on it, only changed the oil and did brakes and put almost 60k on it in a couple years. Still getting 38 to 42 mpg if I wanted to run it now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
drn92 wrote:

drn92

I did not account for those, but they will still be considerably less than the 2500 rental which will probably have their own taxes. Buying a car that is 7-10 years will reduce those significantly, unless you are in a state that loves to tax.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
drn92 wrote:
Either her or you could Uber wherever you need to go. Depending on the amount of travel it might be a viable alternative. I had a quick trip earlier this month. Normally I would rent a car to get around. Rental plus parking for 2 days was ~$90, I spent a total of $50 on Uber and it included a trip I probably could have walked instead.

drn92

Dont really see really see her, and definitely not me, using an Uber to get to and from work everyday, plus stops along the way and running errands or traveling between Cleveland and detroit.

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
If you buy a 5-6 year old Toyota or Honda for a decent price, you should be able to recoup most of your money when you go to sell it. There is (almost) no way that would you lose $2500 on an average car versus what you would pay to rent a car. A 5-6 year old Toyota/Honda won't depreciate hardly any in 3 months if she treats it decently.

I have a real paranoia about buying someone else's problems. I may keep an eye out and maybe someone I know is selling something. But I figure you got at least 1 trip to the shop and $500 - $1000 in repair, hidden in that perfect used car. Its just in my nature.

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have a friend that has a spare car you could rent for $1000?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
drn92 wrote:

drn92

I did not account for those, but they will still be considerably less than the 2500 rental which will probably have their own taxes. Buying a car that is 7-10 years will reduce those significantly, unless you are in a state that loves to tax.

6% sales tax so $300 on a $5000 car, plus registration (figure $150?), insurance another $200 (I live in Mich. yes that would be 3 months and I probably am low) So buying a used car puts me at $650 to start, still leaves about $2000 to get to rental costs. Plus the hassle of buying a car and then the hassle of selling it. Wonder how much you lose to carmax, if you bought then sold back to them?

Wonder about an Uber thing for car rental, seems I recall GM started some rent your car thing... Hmmm

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Re: Car for 3 or 4 months [patentattorney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
patentattorney wrote:
Do you have a friend that has a spare car you could rent for $1000?

Yeah, that idea just came to me also, got to think about that. Can't think of any right now but maybe something will come to me. (or someone with a parent that doesnt drive anymore).

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you looked into 'Fair' through their app? http://www.fair.com

I haven't tried it but I would consider it for the dilemma you're looking to solve.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DavHamm wrote:

Its summer time so you're not as likely to have as many potential problems as in the winter, at least if you live in a cold winter climate area. Buy her a used Japanese car and sell it when you're done. I say Japanese because they're reliable, inexpensive and have good resale. You're not likely to lose much or may even break even when you sell it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The solution we had to this when I went to college (big city) was public transportation and/or bicycles. For the occasions where you have to have a car, you keep friends who have cars.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wait, you work for GM right? There isn't some way for you to finagle some kind of demo car for the summer? Or even one of those test cars wrapped in the zebra stripes?
Quote Reply
Re: Car for 3 or 4 months [JD21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JD21 wrote:
Have you looked into 'Fair' through their app? http://www.fair.com

I haven't tried it but I would consider it for the dilemma you're looking to solve.

Interesting, looks like not in Michigan, and from the stories seems like the pricing in growing pretty high now.

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Re: Car for 3 or 4 months [Dapper Dan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dapper Dan wrote:
The solution we had to this when I went to college (big city) was public transportation and/or bicycles. For the occasions where you have to have a car, you keep friends who have cars.

No the problem is not while in school, she absolutely does not want a car at school (thats the rub) she needs one in the summer to get to her job and other things, but doesn't want to take it to school, and I don't need a car sitting around for 9 months.

Just Triing
Quote Reply
Re: Car for 3 or 4 months [llewis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
llewis wrote:
Wait, you work for GM right? There isn't some way for you to finagle some kind of demo car for the summer? Or even one of those test cars wrapped in the zebra stripes?

LOL, demo cars are dealership cars and Dealerships are independently owned and operated and the relationship between the OEM and dealer is VERY restricted and monitored by the feds.

Test car, yeah if I were over in development this might be an option, but I don't work on that side of the house, so not really an option. For a week probably, for 3 months not really.

Just Triing
Quote Reply

Prev Next