Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
ST Rise&Grind
Quote | Reply
Had a good time on the ride this morning, the B group was brisk, fun and stayed together pretty well. Thanks to group leader A. Fuller (Fuller on here?).

I have a question though. Today it was at 5:30 am ET, but with the clocks getting turned back this weekend, does that mean it will be 4:30 next week? I don't know if events are scheduled based on the time zone of the event creators choosing, or if they are set based on GMT time. I'm a morning person, but 4:30 am is probably pushing it for me.
Quote Reply
Re: ST Rise&Grind [MRid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a good time despite some technical difficulties. Everything was working fine, but when the ride started, zwift stopped listening to my trainer. By the time I got reconnected, I had to hustle a bit to catch anyone. Thankfully I was in the D group. Unthankfully (is that a word?) The D group was so spread out it was just hopping from one rider to another every few minutes.

Anyway, for my first "group ride", it was still a good time. It was fun to try to latch on to wheels take turns leading, even though my group was small.

Would do again.

Also, is there some way to identify the leader for the different groups? Is there a leader for the different groups?
Quote Reply
Re: ST Rise&Grind [cujo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The leader of a group will have a giant gold beacon above him. I know B and C had leaders, and I'm pretty sure that A did not, I'm not sure about D.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MRid wrote:
The leader of a group will have a giant gold beacon above him. I know B and C had leaders, and I'm pretty sure that A did not, I'm not sure about D.

every leader has a beacon. i think sweeps also have a beacon. it'll stay at 5:35am. the As didn't have a leader. most of the leaders were newbie leaders. so, everyone's growing together in this. i woke up at 2:33am, my time, 2min before you all took off. a mother's worry.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: ST Rise&Grind [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Dan. 5:30 works perfect for me. I can't speak to the other groups, but I thought things went really well in the B group.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That was a fun ride. I was the c sweep. We will do better next week at controlling starting pace.

USAC, Health and Nutrition Coach
http://www.echelonhealthcoaching.com
use code SLOWTWITCH for %15 off
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you guys talk to each other as you ride in zwift? I don't have a trainer that would work, but I am really wanting one so I can do some of these.

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Re: ST Rise&Grind [AlyraD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some groups will set up a discord (separate app) channel so that they can talk during rides. Slowtwitch doesn't have one that I'm aware of. You can message each other inside of Zwift, and there was some of that going on today.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AlyraD wrote:
Can you guys talk to each other as you ride in zwift? I don't have a trainer that would work, but I am really wanting one so I can do some of these.

what trainer do you have?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: ST Rise&Grind [jw67] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you please explain what “sweep” means?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jw67 - Thanks for sweeping! I was the C group leader and things took out really quickly this week. My preference will be to control that next week. The lesson I took away from this morning was to focus on the planned w/kg for the group rather than trying to wrangle the whole group from the front. This way, people that go out hot off the front can come back to the prescribed pace if they would like.

Overall, I had a blast!
Quote Reply
Re: ST Rise&Grind [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am ashamed to say. . .

Its a very old magnetic trainer that I bought for 10 dollars at a garage sale. Its probably from the early 2000s era. . .

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AlyraD wrote:
I am ashamed to say. . .

Its a very old magnetic trainer that I bought for 10 dollars at a garage sale. Its probably from the early 2000s era. . .

you have 3 options: 1. get a new trainer. 2. get a $55 speed and cadence sensor and you're ready to zwift on your current trainer. we have a series right now on how to zwift using a speed and cadence sensor. it's on the front page. 3. do the second option now, and the 3rd option later, when i rustle you up some sort of deal.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My thanks also to A. Fuller for a good job as ride leader of group B. I think the double draft also helped keep things together. I'm assuming slowman means that the time will remain at 5:30 EST, compensating for the time change.

Quinny98 -- sweep is the rider who tries to keep other riders from falling of the back of the pack or might fall back to pull dropped riders back to the pack

eta -- sorry 5:35 am est. great time and great ride! -- inspired me to join the forum and make a comment!
Last edited by: s-b-r-ofthemill: Nov 1, 18 11:31
Quote Reply
Re: ST Rise&Grind [s-b-r-ofthemill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s-b-r-ofthemill wrote:
My thanks also to A. Fuller for a good job as ride leader of group B. I think the double draft also helped keep things together. I'm assuming slowman means that the time will remain at 5:30 EST, compensating for the time change.

we will keep this at 5:35 EST. we had 88 people on that ride. i'll debrief the leaders and we'll see how we can shore up any deficiencies. there are going to be some surprises on that ride in the coming weeks.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: ST Rise&Grind [Quinny98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quinny98 wrote:
Can you please explain what “sweep” means?

a sweep is a ride leader whose job is to cater to those at the back of the pack, or in the second pack if there are 2 packs.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: ST Rise&Grind [Quinny98] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was bringing up the rear, and kind of wrangling the people behind, just another beacon for people to follow

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was the D sweep. First time ever sweeping so I’m not sure if I did it right. I pretty much soft-pedaled until people at the back could get on my wheel and I tried to pull them up a little. Unfortunately I think the couple of people that kept slipping back were having technical issues as they often showed 0 watts.

Any direction from experienced sweepers?

Quote Reply
Re: ST Rise&Grind [JesseR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JesseR wrote:
I was the D sweep. First time ever sweeping so I’m not sure if I did it right. I pretty much soft-pedaled until people at the back could get on my wheel and I tried to pull them up a little. Unfortunately I think the couple of people that kept slipping back were having technical issues as they often showed 0 watts.

Any direction from experienced sweepers?

i think you did it right.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: ST Rise&Grind [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No B leader today, the perils of only having 1 leader I suppose, so most of us B-riders rode with the A group. Matt (TriIowaCPA) tried to kill us, but it was a good ride. Thanks Matt!

Though, maybe next time, less of the 6w/kg intervals off the front ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No c leader as well. I was sweep but when I fell back to help someone bridge I couldn’t get back to the group!
I love this ride, even if I don’t get enough sleep

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was just about to point out that C group stayed together pretty well, but I did notice that you dropped back and stayed back at one point.

Sorry about that!

Were there many off the main group? It looked like most everyone stayed in the pack.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry. I should have been a C leader today but I lost power in this ice storm. It was like Gilligan's Island. No power, no internet, not a single luxury. Promise I'll be there next week.

Sorry sorry sorry.
Quote Reply
Re: ST Rise&Grind [cujo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was like one, should have stayed in the pack. I know how it works. More Red Bull next time ;)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i'm going to have backups for all these groups. we're in a strange place now. our usual 80ish tuesday structured training ride had 150 this week. all our events are increasing every week, with more new events planned. i've brought on a few people to help with the management of these events. and, we have a big new Zwift offer going out today, to those on our mailing list.

so, getting there. slow but sure.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply

Prev Next