Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
What kind of water do you drink?
Quote | Reply
I grew up in CA in the 70's-80's and we just drank out of the tap. Moved to Seattle in the 90's and did the same since the water was great. Now I've moved to the Phoenix area and the tap water is awful (conditioned with salt and super hard).

So what's the best water to drink? Filtered (Brita), alkaline (this makes some sense given the high-acid production from workouts and a generally acidic diet), purified or simple bottled water?
Quote Reply
Re: What kind of water do you drink? [Pathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wet! Sorry couldn't resist! Brita pitcher here.
Quote Reply
Re: What kind of water do you drink? [Towjoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Only the finest dihydrogen monoxide here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hate to sound like the hippy but somebody has to say it. Please avoid bottled water for daily consumption. We go through a lot of water in training, and that just a lot of waste to produce. I understand being out and having no option, but for at home use, it is certainly avoidable.

Brita filters work best from my understanding, provided you change the filter per the instructions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pathlete wrote:
...alkaline (this makes some sense given the high-acid production from workouts and a generally acidic diet)...

It sounds great in theory, but your body is incredibly efficient at buffering. You would have to be mainlining baking soda in order to make any appreciable difference. Alkaline water is a scam.

Best bet - learn to love your new, hard tap water. If running it through a brita makes it better, nice. Those are pretty dang cheap and without the ecological disaster of bottled water.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve made a conscious decision to cut back on buying bottled water because of the plastic. I use the chilled and filtered fridge water almost exclusively and if I want calories/taste I mix in Gatorade endurance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After moving from Las Vegas, that had dreadful-tasting tap water, I am enjoying H2O from the tap again in Salt Lake City. My Brita filter is retired for the time being.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tap or brita pitcher (southern ontario)

len = len + 20; /* add some buffer */
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not to hijack the thread, but I would love to know if anyone has good water filtration system recs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Active carbon filter in the fridge, cartridge change every 6 months or so...

I'm fine with tap water here, too, it just comes out of the fridge cold...

My kids, who all claim to love the environment, would drink 8 plastic bottles a day if we let them, mostly cause they're lazy...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well water. We have a reverse osmosis filter in the kitchen, but I'll also drink out of the main tap... just end up with water softener treatment that way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely install a reverse osmosis system (RO). We moved to Phoenix in the late 90's from Seattle. Never regretted putting in the installation. Placed a small tap beside the sink with filters in the cabinet under the sink. No fuss. No hassle. We used the same system for water in the fountain dispensers at retail stores too. Didn't need to deal with individual store bought bottles or multi-gallon oversize bottle set-ups sitting awkwardly in the corner of the house. Filled bike bottles from the RO tap. Used Brita for water in the garage fridge. Baking soda infused water will do a pretty good number on your body fluids. Definitely not advisable. Go with RO. Will pay for itself in dollars and time in weeks.

https://www.palmtreesahead.com/today-s-tip-tomorrow-s-workout
https://www.palmtreesahead.com/feed

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As my boys say "we make sparkle water at home" with a Sodastream. From the fridge filter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We use a Zero Water filter. We did a blind taste test with the tap water and the Zero water filter was the definite winner.

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: What kind of water do you drink? [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well water. It definitely spoils you. An ex coworker used to bring milk jugs for me to fill up for her to take home so she didn’t have to drink “city water”.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reverse osmosis or a whole house filter system works great, if not for anything else just to clean up the taste. https://www.airfilters.com/...essories/dupont.html
Quote Reply
Re: What kind of water do you drink? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Berkey water Filtration. Super healthy for you. Worth the one time cost.
https://www.berkeyfilters.com
I use sodastream to make it bubbly.
Quote Reply
Re: What kind of water do you drink? [djmsbr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
djmsbr wrote:
Definitely install a reverse osmosis system (RO). We moved to Phoenix in the late 90's from Seattle. Never regretted putting in the installation. Placed a small tap beside the sink with filters in the cabinet under the sink. No fuss. No hassle. We used the same system for water in the fountain dispensers at retail stores too. Didn't need to deal with individual store bought bottles or multi-gallon oversize bottle set-ups sitting awkwardly in the corner of the house. Filled bike bottles from the RO tap. Used Brita for water in the garage fridge. Baking soda infused water will do a pretty good number on your body fluids. Definitely not advisable. Go with RO. Will pay for itself in dollars and time in weeks.

Have you considered the health implications of drinking RO water? We had one installed at a plant I work at and we were drinking the water. We found that RO water dissolved all our stainless steel lines as it has no minerals it leaches the stainless steel and our body of essential minerals. The only true healthy way to drink RO water is to have a unit that mineralises the water again before consumption.

https://www.who.int/.../nutrientschap12.pdf
Quote Reply
Re: What kind of water do you drink? [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
djmsbr wrote:

Have you considered the health implications of drinking RO water? We had one installed at a plant I work at and we were drinking the water. We found that RO water dissolved all our stainless steel lines as it has no minerals it leaches the stainless steel and our body of essential minerals. The only true healthy way to drink RO water is to have a unit that mineralises the water again before consumption.

https://www.who.int/.../nutrientschap12.pdf

I agree with this^^^
I use an everpure filter for drinking water under my sink that feeds my fridge as well as a tap on my counter. Tastes awsome. The cartrage is around $70 and lasts a year for my wife and I and we drink lots of water.
Ive got an ro system in my shop I use for washing my work trucks and toys. I dont have to dry them after because there is absolutly nothing in the water to leave spots . Also be advised that ro waists a gallon to make a gallon so if your on city $$$$. Also fyi where my discharge line exits onto the ground , nothing grows there so I assume its just too heavy mineral wise? Idk .

https://www.amazon.com/Everpure-EV9270-76-Cartridge-Commercial-Filtration/dp/B000F63MYA/ref=asc_df_B000F63MYA/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167142463812&hvpos=1o10&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1749231311697469714&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9012266&hvtargid=pla-308638009611&psc=1

Last edited by: Dirt fighter: Nov 8, 18 4:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pathlete wrote:
alkaline (this makes some sense given the high-acid production from workouts and a generally acidic diet),

This is pure broscience. Your body regulates your pH just fine on its own. You do not need to drink alkaline, or acids, or anything. If you were somehow imbalanced you would be very ill indeed and drinking a little extra alkaline is the least of your worries
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's your budget?

The britta type filters work good for improving the taste, but are extreeming inconvenient for myself as you're constantly 'making' water... If you put in an under sink model, a two stage filtering system is a nice option for $90-150... An RO system makes great mineral free water... But then it's mineral free? And most RO units waste way too much water... We've recently moved to Tucson hopefully where we'll settle permanently. (9 moves in 23yrs) Had a whole house filter put in. They're not cheap... But now I can drink from any faucet in the house... I did a bit of research on different brands and settled on an EarthSmarte system. They are based in Phoenix... I even went to a neighbors house who had recently installed this system and drank a glass of water from their kitchen sink... Sold.

If I hadn't pulled the trigger for the the house system, I'd probably review some under sink models within my budget and get one of them... Best bang for the buck. IMO.
Quote Reply
Re: What kind of water do you drink? [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
g_lev wrote:
Pathlete wrote:
alkaline (this makes some sense given the high-acid production from workouts and a generally acidic diet),

This is pure broscience. Your body regulates your pH just fine on its own. You do not need to drink alkaline, or acids, or anything. If you were somehow imbalanced you would be very ill indeed and drinking a little extra alkaline is the least of your worries
Yup. Basic physiology, really.
Quote Reply
Re: What kind of water do you drink? [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:
Pathlete wrote:
...alkaline (this makes some sense given the high-acid production from workouts and a generally acidic diet)...

It sounds great in theory, but your body is incredibly efficient at buffering. You would have to be mainlining baking soda in order to make any appreciable difference. Alkaline water is a scam.

Just read the same thing this week!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where in Phoenix? I live in the East Valley and drink tap...hell when I lived in Scottsdale I drank the tap.

Places I've Lived and drank tap: SoCal, Virginia (The pipes at school were probably horrible for this), Georgia, Brittany (FRA), Kentucky, El Paso, and now Fonix.

Although my significant other lives by her Brita pitcher.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply

Prev Next