http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: elon-musk-tesla-electric-bicycle/ [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3 months, maybe. 6 months, definitely.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the technology and love the use cases. Having said that, I look forward to the day when they are eradicated from beaches, sidewalks, bike lanes and sensitive mtn trails.

They are motorcycles and I think they could make commuting wicked fun!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think Tesla could do well in the e-bike market, but I hate the sort of article linked. Just a bunch of questions and speculation.

Could Tesla revolutionize the e-bike market?...Could Tesla bring new innovations?...

Uhh, yes, but there was no actual evidence that they are going to do so, other than 1 comment by Elon Musk that they "might do an electric bike." Plus a bunch of pictures that had nothing to do with an actual Tesla bike.
Quote Reply
Re: elon-musk-tesla-electric-bicycle/ [helo guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stop making sense.... your ruining the hype.

helo guy wrote:
I think Tesla could do well in the e-bike market, but I hate the sort of article linked. Just a bunch of questions and speculation.

Could Tesla revolutionize the e-bike market?...Could Tesla bring new innovations?...

Uhh, yes, but there was no actual evidence that they are going to do so, other than 1 comment by Elon Musk that they "might do an electric bike." Plus a bunch of pictures that had nothing to do with an actual Tesla bike.
Quote Reply
Re: elon-musk-tesla-electric-bicycle/ [downtowndj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here in Europe e-bikes are limiterad to 250 W and 25 km/h. I never hear this kind of frustration with e-bikes here, and they are becoming quite common.
Quote Reply
Re: elon-musk-tesla-electric-bicycle/ [minimalist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have mixed feelings about e-bikes. On one hand I often see some on the way to work and I think they are the perfect commuting vehicle when the commute is just out of range for a regular bike.

On the other hand I have seem problems on the local recreational bike path (W&OD) ranging from mildly annoying (a family on e-bikes on a path clearly marked "No motorized vehicles" to obnoxious, (a fully enclosed electric cart that takes up 3/4 of the path). That dam thing is a mini electric car! I'm not sure what kind of entitled a-hole thinks it is ok to take it out there on crowded days.
Quote Reply
Re: elon-musk-tesla-electric-bicycle/ [helo guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why don't people call ebikes electric motorcycles??

in reality thats what they are, A moped has pedals and we don't call them motorized bikes.

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply
Re: elon-musk-tesla-electric-bicycle/ [surfNJmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
surfNJmatt wrote:
Why don't people call ebikes electric motorcycles??

in reality thats what they are, A moped has pedals and we don't call them motorized bikes.

Properly speaking, an 'ebike' is a motor-assisted pedal bike. It incorporates a cadence or torque sensor in the pedal drivetrain and gives you proportional assist at some level (which can be greater than 50%, up to the motor's power limit). If you don't put in any effort, neither will the motor. Some of these bikes have a 'walk' mode where the motor will self-run at a very low level so as to help you maneuver the bike into a parking stall but that's it.

An electric motorcycle has a hand throttle and will propel the bike irrespective of whether or not you are pedaling. They would also not necessarily be limited to the speed and power restrictions on e-bikes but they would (should) require you to have a motorcycle license as you would for a conventional motorcycle.

Most aftermarket conversions will let you run their kit in either mode, but factory efforts such as the Specialized Turbo are usually e-bike only.

Less is more.
Quote Reply