Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

$1/1minute
Quote | Reply
Not a 1-900 number spam post

I'm one of those athletes that has really lost interest in Tri's in the last few years. It's definitely multi-factorial but certainly cost of races is one of those factors. One of my friends (maybe Snackchair?) put out this formula for race value...$1 per 1 minute spent racing. obviously there will be some variation between FOP/BOP but in general, sprints should be around $60 or less, Olympics $120 or less, Half <$250 and IM $5-600 or so. Any way, a lot of races are starting to shift way beyond these ranges, combined with absurd active.com fees. I'm seeing much better value in other types of events. Gravel races, Trail runs, and cycling in general are a much better value and quite frankly, more fun. Cyclocross right now is $30-40 for a 45 minute race and usually $10 for a second race that day....what a deal! in our local gravel races, you get to ride side by side with the pros (if you can keep up) and usually get you 3+ hours of racing + food for $100, also a great deal.
Don't get me started on Active.com, the worst company ever. all RD's should check out Trireg.com which has reasonable fees, allows you to look at who's signed up before the race, and is done by the same folks as bikereg.com (associated with crossresults.com and roadresults.com which are scary accurate and really cool)
Last edited by: jflan: Nov 1, 18 10:26
Quote Reply
Re: $1/1minute [jflan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Registration fees are a big factor. Luckily, I like 45 minutes from a City with a local tri club. They put on 4-5 races a year that are sprint to half distance and are all under $200 if you register soon enough. If more cities would get a local tri club to offer alternatives to the branded races, I wonder if that would help bring prices down altogether? It’s a tough pill to swallow coming from $25 for a 5k to $100 for a sprint, but I understand there are far more logistics that go into a triathlon compared to your typical single discipline sport.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Don't get me started on Active.com, the worst company ever.

Worse than tobacco companies that hide the effects of smoking? Worse than companies that trade in slave labor? Worse than companies that pollute rivers and oceans? Worse than drug companies that bribe politicians to skew pharma regulations? Worse than companies that sell arms to oppressive dictators?
Quote Reply
Re: $1/1minute [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
haha touche... excuse my hyperbole. worst in the Tri world (i haven't spent much time considering what other companies would make up a "worst" list...so take with a grain of salt) their fee's are higher than other race reg companies, they used to stick you with those magazines you didn't order, there was that active advantage scam, and they bought and nearly ruined coolrunning.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, Active is the worst.

Prove to me that they don't do all of the things you listed with the revenues from the BS fees they charge.

Quote Reply
Re: $1/1minute [M----n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M----n wrote:
No, Active is the worst.

Prove to me that they don't do all of the things you listed with the revenues from the BS fees they charge.

This made me LOL. Well played.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jflan wrote:
Gravel races, Trail runs, and cycling in general are a much better value and quite frankly, more fun.

What's the dilemma? If you want to do that, go do that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
Quote:

Worse than tobacco companies that hide the effects of smoking? Worse than companies that trade in slave labor? Worse than companies that pollute rivers and oceans? Worse than drug companies that bribe politicians to skew pharma regulations? Worse than companies that sell arms to oppressive dictators?
And then there's Comcast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jflan wrote:
haha touche... excuse my hyperbole. worst in the Tri world m

So um... .05% of the world’s population?

(I agree active sucks)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
Quote:

Well, that escalated quickly...

I agree though, Active is pretty shitty. I have heard though that some RDs change the "fees" rate for their races. For example, Ironman will tell Active to charge X amount (say 8%) for fees but Active only actually gets Y (say 4%) of that. Basically a way for the race to make more money without outright saying it goes to them. So - Active may not actually be that bad, its just RDs trying to get every last penny out of people.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I hate Active.com for sure, but if you are down to measuring the value and enjoyment of your chosen sport based on the $/min of your finish time then it is definitely time to pull the plug.

It reminds me of an article I read from a journalist who took his family to Disney. He added up the cost of everything -- transportation, lodging, meals, park entry, souvenirs, etc., and divided that cost all by the total number of ride minutes they took. It was an amazingly high $ per ride minute.
Quote Reply