Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What is your second bike, and why? [Apollo526] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My second bike is a trek 820 pseudo mountain bike circa 1994. Why, because I don't have enough money to buy anything new and I need a bike to ride to the donut store with my kids on Sundays. Bonus: I recently got it tuned at an REI because I didn't feel like spending $300 on a new cruiser; I tell the tech that the bike is not worth $50 and that he was not authorized to spend more than $80 on the tune up (including a new chain); tech calls me up and tells me the crank set and related parts were subject to one of the most notorious bike recalls of the early 2000s, and, Shimano is still honoring the recall. So I got my crappy old bike back for $80 bucks with some all new components. Bonus points to REI and Shimano for being good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just brought home a new Cervelo C3 today. I am really excited about it, as I feel I have 2 bikes in 1 depending on the wheels/tires I use...

I generally ride to train for Triathlons...and just don’t have the time to warrant a true, road-only bike...I think this choice will allow me to get in on a century or two if I want, but also allow me to try out this gravel thing I hear about...
Last edited by: zooropa: Oct 30, 18 17:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 2nd bike has been the bike I bought "next". Didn't see it mentioned here, but I recently got a single-speed, fixed gear bike as my '2nd bike. Came setup as a single speed, and I plan to flip the wheel and try the fixed gear mode, and replace the straight bars w/bull horns for additional hand position options. Not a lot of money, totally lo-maintenance, commodity and easily available parts, suitable for any casual outing - tooling around, occasional errand, recovery ride, ride w/family, etc.

I started with a road bike, then got a high-end road bike, then a mountain bike, then got a dedicated tri-frame bike (that I rode all the time for training, racing, or just riding) then another fancy road bike when I and buddies signed up for an epic Euro trip. Setup that road bike w/compact cranks. Then I moved where there's lots of flat riding but instead of swapping out the compact crank on the road bike, I just bought another fancy road bike :-). Most of my rides are on my newer road bike -- the one other than the "climbing bike". I rarely ride the mountain bike - too slow, too much maintenance.

If you're going to do any group riding, definitely recommend a road bike - find the fit, the price point, components, color scheme, and brand that appeals to you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A 2000 Quintana Roo TiPhoon, that I upgraded the components to SRAM Force 10 sp some years ago. Barely used since the upgrade, since it is my indoor trainer bike & I hate riding trainers. B.O.R.I.N.G. I'll dress in all my gear and ride in 35 F if roads are dry.
I keep the bike because it is 1) Titanium & they are not as common anymore--and they just won't die! 2) It's my Ironman P.R. bike (as well as bike PR for that distance as well). Sentimental reasons I guess. 3) Because it's not time to rotate it out of my line up until I get a new bike (likely going to wait until 12 speed comes out and they refine it after a year). 4) I'm too cheap to upgrade more than once ever 10 years...besides, my P3C works just fine--it's the motor that needs the work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Order of use the last 2 years due to injury:

'17 Madone 9.9 - My absolute favorite bike ever
'16 Speed Concept 9.9 Project 1 - hasn't been on the road since July '17.
'17 Fuel EX 9.8
'19 Boone Disc - Frameset custom build
'18 Super Commuter
NEXT BIKE - Domane Disc or Madone Disc
Last edited by: SiRcivic27: Oct 30, 18 19:01
Quote Reply
Re: What is your second bike, and why? [SiRcivic27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"2nd bike"???

I think at last count I have 13....
Quote Reply
Re: What is your second bike, and why? [Etip] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Etip wrote:
"2nd bike"???

What for?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get an R3 and a set of Hed Ardennes. You can ride it anywhere with a variety of tires.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This thread has affirmed my decision to get a road bike. It's been on my list for awhile but now I'm committed to picking one up this winter.
Quote Reply
Re: What is your second bike, and why? [Broken Leg Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Depends where you live and what you want a second bike for.

Agree with this.

Right now I have:

QR tri bike (it's on the trainer and pretty much stays there - don't love it and I'd like to get something else)
Cannondale CAAD10 (my main ride)
Salsa Warbird gravel bike (my new love)
Trek Crockett cross bike (could sell this since buying the Salsa)
Cervelo Prodigy (my original road bike - steel frame - keeping just because)
Felt track bike

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: What is your second bike, and why? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
Etip wrote:
"2nd bike"???

What for?

Because I don't just say n+1 for fun??

Aside from a couple road bikes and a couple MTB, I collect antique and vintage bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: What is your second bike, and why? [Etip] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. Puch Force XII - all rounder fast road
2. Cervelo P2 - tri
3. All-City Space Horse - bike packing and anything over 120 miles
4. Specialized Camber Comp - mtb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 2nd bike is a MTB - there's nothing like some fun flowy trails to mix up the routine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My 2nd bike is my Cervelo road bike. I started mountain biking first on my Pivot, and that is my favorite kind of cycling. My third is my Specialized Tri bike I got new-to-me for tris that will be mostly flat, and windy.
Last edited by: bacamacho: Oct 31, 18 22:45
Quote Reply

Prev Next