Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Official Trek Madone Owners Thread
Quote | Reply
So I didn’t see where this thread already exists... so here we go.

Just purchased a 2018 Madone 9 and was curious as to what wheel tire combos people are using for a comfortable ride? I currently have a set of Flo 60s I intend to use for the near term. Is there clearance to run a 28” tire???

Tell me more about your experiences with this bike - pros and cons.
Maintenance recommendations?
Anything quirky about the bike?
Last edited by: rself: Oct 18, 18 18:07
Quote Reply
Re: Official Trek Madone Owners Thread [rself] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I recently purchased the 2018 Madone 9.

I use Zipp 302's.

Having previously ridden a Trek Domane, I am pleasantly surprised how comfy the Mad One is.

I love it.
Last edited by: Bianchi928: Oct 21, 18 18:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride a 2012 Madone 6 as my roadie and absolutely love it. The thing has been bulletproof, wicked light and very racey. Made the mistake of riding it in a 1/2 IM. The bike just wants to GO, and I way overcooked it because it just screams "pedal harder" at you.

Not your year, but I run GP4000 25s on the Aeolus 6 rims... LOTS of miles and nothing I'm trying to change on that bike.

Enjoy the ride!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Trek Madone Owners Thread [djhuff7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ride a 2017 w/ 404's and 25mm gp4000's.

It's a really compliant ride. I've never tried 28's, but there is plenty of clearance on the 25's, so I think a 28 would fit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the 2017 MadOne 9. The red one you see at TdF with SRAM etap and zipp 404’s. I love that bike. I’ve told my wife that if I die to put it with me in the coffin. Never know if I may be able to bike in heaven.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2017 Madone SLR 9 with Di2. Haven’t adjusted shifting in the year and a half I have had it.
Rolling Bontrager XXX6 wheels and 25c Bontrager R4 tires at 100psi. Absuloutely no issues here.

Owner of a few Speed Concepts since 2011.
Last edited by: ttx_tri: Oct 20, 18 22:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I run HED+ rims with gp4000 28's for training. I do have the inside of the seat tube helicopter taped as it is a bit tight but thousands of miles on a 2018 9 series...no issues. 50psi :) I dont think i even need t ou say how good that feels to ride :)

2019 SLR disc bike will be here in a few days. Maybe go bigger tires yet.

I do also have a Domane sl6. No comparison. Yes it rides a bit smoother but its nowhere near the sporty feel of the madone. I have about 10k miles on the domane in 2018 incliduding lots of gravel like DAMN 240 mile race and others. I may use the slr Madone for gravel :)

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Last edited by: cmscat50: Oct 21, 18 4:32
Quote Reply
Re: Official Trek Madone Owners Thread [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there any feedback on the new H1.5 geometry? I have a 2015 H1 Domane that I love but it looks like Trek has consolidated their H1 / H2 frames across the line to H1.5 My next Trek will probably be a Madone and I'm wondering if it will feel right.

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders
Quote Reply
Re: Official Trek Madone Owners Thread [Fuller] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H2 vs H1. I've been told straight from the top that almost no pro rider can tell the difference if setup the same. Therefore we are really really splitting hairs with the h1.5. Will know soon :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am looking at 2 bikes on ebay one is H1 and one is H2 what is major difference?

I know this is not way to do fit but anyone have any advice on sizing: I am riding a 54 venge now and Speed Concept Med frame. Looking at a 54 Madone. Long torso.

Also any one have thoughts on used Madone vs new?

I am seeing pricing on used 2016-2017 models with Da Di2 ranging from 3800-4200 seem about right?

Or do I just buy a new madone with di2 and disk breaks for 9k!

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Official Trek Madone Owners Thread [Toothengineer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MOST people think the H1 looks cooler (shorter head tube).

I believe the difference in frames is about 1cm in stack and 1 cm in length. Therefore H1 frame is longer and lower by about those amounts.

That said it can all be done on an H2 with stems and spacers. That's what I've always done. And I've ridden 16,000 miles year to date so have quite a bit of seat time to dial fit :)

The Madone from 2017 and 2018 is an awesome bike. There's zero question about that. The newer one is probably a little better. Maybe. Lots of companies make high end bikes. I don't think there is more than a handful that could be considered state of the art. Trek is one of the few. IMO.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes H1 does look cooler 100%. Seem like finding a used 56 in H1 or a 54 with enough stack height in a H1 will be a challenge.

How do the bars work with the Madone? It seems to not be a ton of adjustablity with them? So you have to nail it the first time.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which one? New or older bike?

You are correct the older bike is fully integrated bar / stem. It's financially responsible to get it right the first time or it's to the tune of about $600 MSRP to change it....and re-cable the bike! UGGGH.

The new bike has a separate bar stem, a better shaped bar, and more bar / stem sizing options. And cheaper. Win, win, win....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looking at used and new. I dont really want to pay new price! Disc breaks and Di2 9k after taxes.... used seem to go around 4k but having integrated bars like that its a expensive mistake to get something wrong like you said.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
'17 Madone 9.

Started with Aeolus 5 then upgraded to the 6 XXX early this year with GP4K's. This is my absolute favorite bike ever. Got one for my wife and she's on 4XXX wheels with Pro One tubeless.

I had brake squeal issues with the stock Aeolus 5's and the new laser etching on the XXX wheels solved those issues.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Trek Madone Owners Thread [SiRcivic27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a Madone 7.9 Vapor coat and can fit roughly a 25mm tire on Enve rims in it (I dont remember what it measures out to be but I think it was like 28mm on the rim).

I love the bike - it is light snappy and a blast to ride and easy to change the stem and bar combo etc. I like this bike as it is really user friendly as opposed to the 9-series being a little bit of a challenge. I may be considering selling it soon though to cycle out my stable :P.

@Tooth

I am 5'9 with a long torso and I went with the 54 frame (H1) - I also ride a M speed concept. The bike with a 105mm stem is perfect for me and I could almost drop the stem length (I have the saddle roughly 2 cm forward of the BB with a Power saddle).
Last edited by: teddygram: Oct 31, 18 8:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

The difference in stack between H1 and H2 is about 3cm in stack. vs 1cm. It's a problem if you are short (aka. Trek doesn't offer a 48cm). I normally ride 50cm/52cm but won't be able to replicate my fit on a Trek H2 without a 48cm version. Or I'd have to get -25 degree stem, which wasn't possible with the integrated version of the bike.

As far as I can tell, the H1.5 fit is more or less in line with the geometry of other bike brands.
Last edited by: bloodyshogun: Oct 31, 18 9:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What’s the best new project one color?

Quote Reply
Re: Official Trek Madone Owners Thread [teddygram] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How has the vapor coat held up?

I have mentally committed to a new road bike, waiting one year and buying used would be best bet, but would have to switch out front end parts. Will keep for a very long time at least, just need to pick some paint.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The vapor coat has held up pretty well - the bike has the usual nicks and wear on it but I would say its just about as good as any other paint job on a bike.

I really like the look of the vapor coat - half the time people have no idea its a Trek because everything is "murdered" out on the bike. I highly recommend you go that route if you like a all blacked out bike (its very easy to clean also).
Last edited by: teddygram: Nov 11, 18 6:41
Quote Reply
Re: Official Trek Madone Owners Thread [teddygram] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good to know!

I have a TT blacked out, debating to go that route on roadie.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

My SC with vapor coat, but i polished it to get glossy look, before that it was more like blac matte color.
Next year im thinking to get madone 2019, as for now i like ICON brushed metal, it looks awesome:

Last edited by: Ksavostin: Nov 11, 18 19:52
Quote Reply
Re: Official Trek Madone Owners Thread [Ksavostin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thats a very pretty bike

Quote Reply
Re: Official Trek Madone Owners Thread [Ksavostin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brushed metal is very nice, wish that had done big trek lettering with it. Chrome pearl is very nice as well.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the hope that people are still following this thread...

Does anyone else have an issue with the Madone's brake bolts and stripping / rounding the heads?

Specifically the ones that adjust the distance between the brake block and the rim surface?

It's a 2mm hex / allen head and I've been through about 6 now!!! It's not cheap at approx ÂŁ10 a bolt! And they are Trek-specific so I can't use generic replacements.

Driving me crazy and making me poor.
Quote Reply

Prev Next