Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Irreplaceable Consumer Brands
Quote | Reply
i've been thinking about something for a few weeks. what are the consumer brands i rely on daily? where, if that brand was to go away, it would be an imposition, and i'd say, "i don't know how exactly i'm going to fill the that brand leaves." this, exclusive of things like your utility companies, or your employer, or major clients. i'm talking about consumer brands. and, i drive a dodge truck every day, so that's a consumer brand i use every day, but it's not really an unfillable hole. so, for me it's:

apple
microsoft
adobe
hoka one one
directv

and a few others. i've found this sort of a compelling exercise.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Irreplaceable Consumer Brands [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure if applicable, but amazon for me

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: Irreplaceable Consumer Brands [Callin'] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowtwitch. I mean, I guess I could join a basket weaving forum.

USAT Level II- Ironman U Certified Coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
General:

Microsoft
Google, Youtube
Facebook
Doritos (seriously, no one else makes anything like Doritos).

triathlon-related
Shimano (for the shoes, not the components).
ST

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Oct 29, 18 11:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Microsoft
Facebook
Shimano
Autodesk
Fizik
Letsrun
Last edited by: cold turtle: Oct 29, 18 11:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amazon, as mentioned would definitely be on the list

Apple, Microsoft... though I live for the day they both disappear.

Aldi
Formula 1 (try and say it's not a brand)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ben and Jerrys

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Microsoft - work
Google - phone

Nissan - truck to get to work
Gas - to put in the truck - brand varies
Budweiser - to drink on the way to work
Wild Turkey - to drink on the way home from work
Quote Reply
Re: Irreplaceable Consumer Brands [Twinkie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
---

Despicable. If you're going to drink and drive, drink something good.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CostCo

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: Irreplaceable Consumer Brands [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
---

Despicable. If you're going to drink and drive, drink something good.

He’s drinking Budweiser. ‘nuff said

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JIF
NUTELLA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Frankly the shoe companies did a great job in training just about any athlete that brands and styles are replaceable and usually for the better. First it was Adidas being pushed aside domestically by Nike. Then New Balance did a good job. Now Hoka is the new comer and a name changed Asics as the best re-emerged international brand. Most brands rebounded with awesome new shoe models, then would obsolete them before we could stock up our own inventories to race in them for a few more seasons. Some of the replacements were better than the originals. Unfortunately many were not.

Microsoft Excel did a number on Lotus123 which in its time we thought would last forever. MS Word imperfected WordPerfect. And MS PowerPoint scored higher than Harvard Graphics.

Apple hooked us on new technologies as we went cold turkey off our Crackberries.

Netflex became the tool for us to cut the cord. No more cable, satellite, over towering antennas on the roof.

Today's best brands we can't live without, will be tomorrow's also-rans as the bleeding technologies become mainstream. I embrace the idea of new technologies to the sport and life in hopes enduring replacements for improvement.

Though I would have a much more difficult life leaving behind Cherry Coke or Pepsi (whichever is on sale) and Visa.

https://www.palmtreesahead.com/feed
https://www.palmtreesahead.com/today-s-tip-tomorrow-s-workout

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hokas

everything else is fungible..

Caol Ila whisky, maybe, but can't afford to drink that every day..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Apple (macbooks, appletv, iphone, ipad, itunes, waterproof shuffles) - I grew up and coded with IBM/Windows. I left the dark side years ago.
Amazon - I literally buy almost everything here. Live in a city like NY or DC and it's your only option to get certain products.
Hokas
Zwift - this is a gift bc of the cities/weather I have lived in and the insane unpredictable hours I work.
Google (search engine, gmail, calendar, maps)
Garmin (triathlon products)
Hulu - Ever since I cut the cable, I have never been so incredibly happy.
Facebook
Microsoft (office products only)
Slowtwitch
Youtube - the instructional videos are gold. You can always find a replay of anything here as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
hoka one one

Interesting. What makes them so much better than the cushioned offerings from Altra, Nike, Brooks, etc that you’d have a hole? (other than it takes $ and time to find a shoe that works for you)

Matt
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Basically all of the brands in my life are replaceable:

-Verizon (could be AT&T)
-Apple (has been Microsoft and Samsung)
-Publix (has been various grocers)
-Bloomberg (has been CNBC)
-Colgate (has been others)
-Altra (has been others)

That said, in cycling/triathlon, only Shimano gets my business these days.
Quote Reply
Re: Irreplaceable Consumer Brands [Twinkie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Twinkie wrote:
Microsoft - work
Google - phone

Nissan - truck to get to work
Gas - to put in the truck - brand varies
Budweiser - to drink on the way to work

Toyota, Ford, or Chevy don't make a truck that could get you to work?
Quote Reply
Re: Irreplaceable Consumer Brands [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
unless i missed it, nobody yet has mentioned ironman. i'm surprised by that. ironman, along with google, amazon, apple, etc., are brands we have criticisms about, but we only criticize them because they are so important to us and we want to make sure they work right. ironman fits in there. with so many of you already signed up for, training every day for, thinking almost every day about, an ironman, i think i should've seen that by now. and - bless their hearts - usat.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ironman an irreplaceable brand in my our daily lives???? I’m almost started choking from laughing so hard. If I really had to think about, there’s probably 1000+ other brands before that would ever cross my mind

But I’ll add Coke, Starbucks, Altra, Apple, Amazon, Netflix, Slowtwitch
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Oct 29, 18 14:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only one I can think of is Amazon. If it went away tomorrow, I'd have no replacement. I'm sure one would eventually come about, but it would take a while.

Netflix? nothing really competes with it now, but if it went away, I'd guess Amazon Prime Video or Hulu or something else would fill the gap real quick

Google? I have an android phone, but could just as easily have an iphone. I use them exclusively for search, but I'm sure bing or duck-duck-go would work fine.

Microsoft? I'm a software developer and all our tools work better on linux. I have more linux boxes at the house the windows.

Apple? I own an iPad, but that's a recent purchase and I'd be just as happy with a droid tablet.

Now slowtwitch, that's pretty close for me at this point as I don't really know what it's replacement would be. Reddit r/triathlon I guess, but they are not really close in terms of quality IMO.

Ironman? I like their events, but I'd imagine other event companies would do just as good a job and their numbers would probably be higher if Ironman was gone tomorrow.

So, Amazon and slowtwitch for me.
Quote Reply
Re: Irreplaceable Consumer Brands [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Ironman an irreplaceable brand in my our daily lives???? I’m almost started choking from laughing so hard. If I really had to think about, there’s probably 1000+ other brands before that would ever cross my mind

But I’ll add Coke, Starbucks, Altra, J Crew (boxers), Garmin, Apple

I don’t know, I don’t race ironmans, but for the short time I’ll did it was with me daily. When I got hurt and couldn’t do it the second year it was a real life trial of a brand disappearing from my life and it was a crusher.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
I don’t know, I don’t race ironmans, but for the short time I’ll did it was with me daily. When I got hurt and couldn’t do it the second year it was a real life trial of a brand disappearing from my life and it was a crusher.

Yeah, but was it Ironman you were missing or the triathlon itself? I'm assuming one would separate the brand from the sport.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The race may have been with you in the same way a shoe is when you run. But, the brand could go away and the races could/would/did exist without the brand ( I have done these races pre IM brand but not post IM brand). The difference for you is that the Hoka brand—like Altra for me—is the best or only brand that worked for you despite presumably trying many over the years. That makes the brand unreplaceable even though there are many shoe options.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The more I think about it, the more I'd be inclined to add Zwift to my list. Right now I don't think there is any real replacement for it. I'm sure I could make Trainer Road work, but my enjoyment level would certainly drop.
Quote Reply

Prev Next